Big Chief Studios - Doctor Who - 11th Doctor 1/6 TARDIS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios - Doctor Who - 1/6 TARDIS

Oh man, that thing is amazing, great job! I know its not Doctor Who but has Big Chief ever mentioned possibly making a Captain Jack Harkness?

Eh? "Not Doctor Who" you say? :thwak

images
Jack_doc_martha.jpg

I'd much prefer Jack from Who than from Torchwood, he was cool then.

Jack feels like it'd be an obvious character to do at some point. Obviously there's a lot of crossover between Who and Torchwood fandom, but it's not absolute, and a Jack figure could cross over into both.

"No thats not the case at all, we are the only company with 1:6 scale Doctor Who license." -BCS

Everyone needs to keep in mind, the fan base (esp outside of the UK) willing to spend big bucks on 1/6 Who figures is so comparatively tiny next to things like Marvel or Star Wars. So the world wide market is small yet the R&D and licensing and manufacturing costs remain high, hence the low ed. numbers and higher costs per unit. Combine this with the exchange rate and international shipping and us North Americans feel the pinch on these the way most of the rest of the world feels it with every other figure or statue. Who fans are lucky any figures of this caliber are being made at all. They're making Hartnell - old man action figure from 50 years ago, you really think Hot Toys or Enterbay want to touch making a scant 500 units of that guy or the rest of the classic Doctors?! sheesh. :slap :lol Frankly, if the fans don't buy and BCS gets stuck with a bunch of unsold inventory I bet our chances of ever seeing more Docs released will disappear and leave the 1/6 Who figure line with nope hope for regeneration.

Well I buy BCS so don't care personally.
Maybe classic Who characters won't have a big market but I personally think the modern Who stuff would have a bigger market than other wide releases like say .... Blitzway's Carlito's Way? .... Enterbay's old man JCVD ? I don't think lack of interest for NewWho stuff is the reason.

The problem is, Who collectors have an odd tendency towards lower end items, generally speaking. With the exception of prop replicas, pretty much every high end attempt catering towards Who fans has failed to achieve any real success, prior to Big Chief coming along (and it's hard to know just how well they are going, though they seem to still be doing well enough so far, on all available evidence).

The last four attempts at upper scale Who 1/6 scale (or there about) statues that come to mind all went under after after a few scant releases - including an attempt by Weta, which included a NuWho Dalek and Cyber-Controller. All of these were usually done in runs quite a bit smaller than Big Chief's releases, to boot. And yet still couldn't find enough sales to be sustained. The far cheaper Titan busts, which also had plenty of NuWho focus, staggered and eventually fell over, as well. It's hard to get enough Who fans to part with enough money to make this stuff viable long term. Or at least it always has been in the past.

Frankly I'm a little surprised that not only is Big Chief still going three years later, but their plans seem to be getting more ambitious, so they are obviously doing something right, as they have managed to capture a corner of the Who market that is notoriously difficult to find success in. That doesn't mean there hasn't been mistakes along the way (and they STILL haven't fixed my account two plus weeks later, nor even bothered to respond to either of my emails about it, or my facebook question in regards to it, despite my having paid for their next two releases already... :banghead) but not only don't I see any other companies looking to take the license on and have the fun of dealing with jumping through all of BBC Worldwide's hoops and expenses along the way, I certainly don't see any major 'big name' companies doing so, as it's just too much of a low run property for them to bother with.

All that said, if Big Chief ongoing releases establish an ongoing hungry market for upper market Who items, then I can see someone else being interested in trying to scoop away some of those customers at that point, but we're still a long way from there, and so I can't see that happening any time soon, if at all.

Of course, I have been wrong before... :lol

^ Looking good! That TARDIS...:love Just hope the price isn't too crazy....:pray:

It looks really nice. I wouldn't mind a bit more weathering, but if it's early days 11 it shouldn't have much.

Did they actually use a Character TARDIS on the show? It sounded plastic when Clara set it down and the size seems right.

Sorry if I spoiled anything Vincent, stay away from their Tumblr XD, I assumed everyone watches it during the first airing like me, my bad :(

It doesn't air in all countries at the same time, so always best to play it on the safe side and, if in doubt, stick to spoiler tags, I find. :)

That said, the latest episode (Flatline) certainly threw up a few cool ideas as far as potential accesories for the individual Capaldi Doctor release goes:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Really good episode this week, and I'm very much enjoying the latest season, and Capaldi's take on The Doctor thus far.

It doesn't air in all countries at the same time, so always best to play it on the safe side and, if in doubt, stick to spoiler tags, I find. :)

That said, the latest episode (Flatline) certainly threw up a few cool ideas as far as potential accesories for the individual Capaldi Doctor release goes:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Really good episode this week, and I'm very much enjoying the latest season, and Capaldi's take on The Doctor thus far.

As soon as I saw the 3rd item in your spoilers list, first thought that came to my mind was a accessory, funny all the items are from this episode, so what look would he have on his face?

Sorry if I spoiled anything Vincent, stay away from their Tumblr XD, I assumed everyone watches it during the first airing like me, my bad :(

Nope, didn't spoil anything for me. I'd already watched the episode before coming here. I meant did they actually use a Character Options toy TARDIS for the tiny TARDIS scenes? It looks like. That would make the toy an actual prop replica!

Nope, didn't spoil anything for me. I'd already watched the episode before coming here. I meant did they actually use a Character Options toy TARDIS for the tiny TARDIS scenes? It looks like. That would make the toy an actual prop replica!

The main one they used was too small for 1/6.

Back