Big Chief Studios BBC Sherlock

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like a production sample since the heads look like they're cast in the skin tone. It has a nice transluscency to it. The eyes look too white, but that's probably the bad lighting.

Just seen these on FB and haired over here. I also thought they looked like production samples and asked on FB. if they respond, I will let you know. A little concerned about the grey wash on Mr Cucumberpatch. Looks like that wayward five o'clock shadow that caused problems with 11. Let's hope they keep it under control this time. So much better than the prototype. No Twilight brows on these. And good to see that the skin texture and wrinkles have survived the casting process. Still can't afford them, though.

Thanks, Mau. So hard to tell because of the photo quality. They really risk hurting sales when they show crappy photos like this. I like teasers as much as the next guy, but damn.

I too may not have the money since the new Star Wars Hoth stuff takes priority for me. It will depend on when this guy is scheduled to ship and how much he'll end up costing.

I think they could afford either a decent DSLR and a Dummies manual, or to send the heads to someone who can take a well lit, noiseless photo. They can't afford to leave any doubt in people's minds at this point. Even teaser photos are important PR exercises, or why else post them? C'mon, Big Chief. Put your phone cameras away.

Actually, handy hint, if you are reading this. You photos are noisy probably because you have too little light. Set your white balance to halogen (or, better still, set the custom white balance, if you have it). Get one of those bendy necked desk lamps with a halogen bulb. Make a bag out of that polystyrene packing sheeting stuff, fix it over the head of the lamp with a rubber band to diffuse the light. Set it far enough away so that you don't get any hot spots, as he currently has on his cheek, and Bob's your proverbial uncle. Set your light a little higher as well, above eye level and at 45 degress to the nose is good. And a tripod, if you are feelng flush. And a piece of white paper reflecting light back onto the face on the "dark" side, to soften shadows. So simple, and makes such a difference.

Sorry about double post, but can we talk about this????? BC put these to beauties on FB
tumblr_mrzub50Il01rvzq9no1_500.jpg

tumblr_mrzub50Il01rvzq9no2_500.jpg

Wow, they look great to me!

These do look like iphone pics, but if production samples I'm definitely pleased.

And it could be the lighting - but it does look like they're trying the intrinsic paint technique (where they use translucent skin color to cast the heads) - and I'm very pleased someone's doing that in 1/6. Sideshow tried it in 1/4 but it was too difficult to get consistency.

The eyes are a bit lifeless. But I'd be getting a repaint on them anyway.

Does BCS take things to be photographed to the darkest room possible? After all our complaints of past photos, they still continue to do it this way. :gah:

Tempting... I usually never go for tv show figures though. Does everyone just order from their site? How much are we probably going to have to pay for both? (Never bought anything from this company before, sooo honest opinions on their quality is welcome!)

Tempting... I usually never go for tv show figures though. Does everyone just order from their site? How much are we probably going to have to pay for both? (Never bought anything from this company before, sooo honest opinions on their quality is welcome!)

Well TDA, They have only had two figures out so far. The first was the Doctor #11 (Matt Smith) figure. That was available direct and from places like Forbidden Planet (both versions) and BBTS...

Amy Pond at BBTS
The 11th Doctor at BBTS

Whilst the 11th Doctor was a very good figure and was generally well received, the Amy figure had a sea of problems attack it from the very start. The need to source a totally new body, and then deal with how this affected the already tailored clothes and needs for adjustments to them, sourcing a whole new production facility in China, and what appears to be a last minute likeness-approval problem, leading to a rather dull-faced figure and then the need for a sculpted hair option to those that wanted it (free of charge) were all things that held up the sale of Amy.

Ever since then, BCS have done direct-from-site sales for both the #10 (David Tennant) and #4 (Tom Baker) Doctors. They may even go that way for the forthcoming SHERLOCK figures.

As to quality of figures,

Here is my #11 helping me unpack my IRONMAN & GANTRY set...

P8260645.jpg
P8260646.jpg
P82606482.jpg
P8260649.jpg

And some Amy

a05ba3ef-cfd1-4451-be3d-09a9cabfcc57_zpsa8d117c8.jpg
P6100884_zpsc3412e9d.jpg

The figure of Matt is good. I like the quality and would place it on a level of quality that matches my SSC Padawan Obi-Wan figure. The AMY, with its wealth of problems...well I still have too many mixed feeling about it to make a sensible comment about it just yet.

The Tennant, Baker and Sherlock figures all look very good.

Last edited:

Huh, forgot how inhuman cumberbatch looks sometimes, especially compared to those three.

The figures look great, clothes are a little "doll-like" but that's probably me being picky. The head sculpts are spot on to my eye and that's all that matters really.

Back