1/6 Doctor Who Figures - BCS and everything else

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #04 Tom Baker

I am hoping that at least he gets sent out before the weekend...he can then travel over the weekend and maybe still arrive before 24th.

The payment deadline for recieving it before Christmas was the 12th. If you've paid after, don't expect it to arrive by the 24th.

There one eighth I think, I need one nearer the right size. Think I'll have to build.

BTW He Arrived, cant touch till Christmas.

No, not 1/8, but for 8" figures.

Hello all. Since none of the major Who boards that I am a member of seem all that interested in Who merchandise, let alone the more high end stuff like this, here I am. Lurked for a long time, as I collect a lot of stuff other than Doctor Who, but with these latest releases thought I'd finally register and throw my opinions in the ring. I also tend to ramble on a bit, so feel free to skip past.

So anyway, my two Doctors just arrived, and I've just unpacked Baker so far.

First impressions:
- I really do love Big Chief's box designs. Very classy. Being able to remove and use the fold over for a backdrop is a particularly nice touch.

- My base doesn't work. At all. Not a sausage. If the Tennant base actually works when I unpack him then I will have to swap the battery to see if that's the problem, or if it's the base itself. *sigh*. I really do want a matching base for Smith now, though I hope the only way to get one isn't by buying a variant release, as that would defeat the purpose a bit.

- Speaking of bases, odd that they changed the colour of the nameplate, from the copper of the Smith release, to now a more traditional Who blue. Just makes the Smith piece, again, look a little anachronistic if this is now the standard, unless they intend to make each release a bit different looking. I notice they changed the name plate design a bit as well, and it doesn't seem as clean or well printed as the Smith piece was. On the up side, the signature is much better. There is no doubt about who signed this. As an added bonus, I got number #1 of 300, which isn't quite as cool as getting #4, but it's still pretty damn cool. When I saw 001 on the outside of the box I assumed they had written 100, and it was just upside down...lol.

- The hat on mine has broken away from the hair in the box. Again it's an easy fix, and thankfully there doesn't seem to be any visual damage anywhere that I have spotted so far, but I shouldn't have to fix anything straight out of the box like this. Still, at least it is fixable with a bit of epoxy, so there's that. Apparently the hat is supposed to be a separate piece, so shows what I know. So scrap everything I've said above. It is very loose on mine though, and has a stain on the inside which looks like glue, which is what lead me down the wrong path.

- Not real impressed with the wire in the scarf. I know why they did it, I understand the reasoning, but it doesn't work very well in my view, and I think it's going to have to come out. Though I hesitate to do something like that on a high end item.

- The accessories are well chosen, and mostly look very good for the scale. Though the key to time is full of air bubbles, which kind of spoils it, plus it doesn't hold together at all well, or at least mine doesn't. The rest are all quite good though, with clean paint application all around. And I do love the Eldrad hand.

- What is with Big Chief's obsession with 5 o'çlock shadows? I'm almost surprised they didn't give Amy Pond one at this point. Other than a couple of very story specific episodes, all the Doctors were always clean shaven when we see them, yet with Tom here it's even worse than the Matt Smith paint up in this regard. It looks completely out of place on the character, so it bewilders me why they keep doing it. Tom's is so strong on my figure that he looks like a bit of a wino...which might not be too far from the truth, actually.

- The body on mine is also a bit 'floppy', so I'm not sure yet how well he will go long term standing up. I hate propping figures up with stands though, so just have to wait and see how that goes.

- The tailoring is mostly really well done. The vest on mine is a touch crooked, which is a shame, and the coat arms are a bit too long in my opinion, but other than that I have no real complaints. Just as with the Smith figure, I do worry about the buttons though, so keeping that in mind will have to be very careful handling this.

- The likeness is, unfortunately, my biggest issue with this figure. It just doesn't look enough like Tom as The Doctor for my money. The face is a bit too thin, is I think the main issue here. And the rather un-Tom like expression doesn't help matters much. Honestly, side by side I prefer my old Sixteen 12 1:6 scale Fourth Doctor statue, as far as likeness goes. I was hoping that just like that statue, this was another piece that just didn't photograph very well, but looked better in person. Alas not though. It's not terrible, but it's certainly not as good as I would have liked, and to my eye has certainly suffered during production much more than the Smith piece did, or the Tennant judging by photos. Oh well.

- I was also hoping to prefer the hair rather than the hat look, as I already have a be-hatted Tom on my shelf, but alas I'm not a real big fan of the hair on it's own, whereas I think the hat looks great. The hair alone though just looks a bit too much like a wig to me, rather than looking natural. I don't know if it's the lack of shading detail, or just the way it sits, but the hair under the hat just looks miles better to my eyes.

All in all I'd say that it is better than I thought it would be, based on early photos, but not as good as I had hoped it would be, back when I originally ordered, and all in all I still think the Smith figure turned out better overall. Slightly disappointed to be honest, but hopefully it'll grow on me.

Now, to open the Tenth Doctor up...

Last edited:

Hello all. Since none of the major Who boards that I am a member of seem all that interested in Who merchandise, let alone the more high end stuff like this, here I am. Lurked for a long time, as I collect a lot of stuff other than Doctor Who, but with these latest releases thought I'd finally register and throw my opinions in the ring. I also tend to ramble on a bit, so feel free to skip past.

So anyway, my two Doctors just arrived, and I've just unpacked Baker so far.

First impressions:
- I really do love Big Chief's box designs. Very classy. Being able to remove and use the fold over for a backdrop is a particularly nice touch.

- My base doesn't work. At all. Not a sausage. If the Tennant base actually works when I unpack him then I will have to swap the battery to see if that's the problem, or if it's the base itself. *sigh*. I really do want a matching base for Smith now, though I hope the only way to get one isn't by buying a variant release, as that would defeat the purpose a bit.

- Speaking of bases, odd that they changed the colour of the nameplate, from the copper of the Smith release, to now a more traditional Who blue. Just makes the Smith piece, again, look a little anachronistic if this is now the standard, unless they intend to make each release a bit different looking. I notice they changed the name plate design a bit as well, and it doesn't seem as clean or well printed as the Smith piece was. On the up side, the signature is much better. There is no doubt about who signed this. As an added bonus, I got number #1 of 300, which isn't quite as cool as getting #4, but it's still pretty damn cool. When I saw 001 on the outside of the box I assumed they had written 100, and it was just upside down...lol.

- The hat on mine has broken away from the hair in the box. Again it's an easy fix, and thankfully there doesn't seem to be any visual damage anywhere that I have spotted so far, but I shouldn't have to fix anything straight out of the box like this. Still, at least it is fixable with a bit of epoxy, so there's that.

- Not real impressed with the wire in the scarf. I know why they did it, I understand the reasoning, but it doesn't work very well in my view, and I think it's going to have to come out. Though I hesitate to do something like that on a high end item.

- The accessories are well chosen, and mostly look very good for the scale. Though the key to time is full of air bubbles, which kind of spoils it, plus it doesn't hold together at all well, or at least mine doesn't. The rest are all quite good though, with clean paint application all around. And I do love the Eldrad hand.

- What is with Big Chief's obsession with 5 o'çlock shadows? I'm almost surprised they didn't give Amy Pond one at this point. Other than a couple of very story specific episodes, all the Doctors were always clean shaven when we see them, yet with Tom here it's even worse than the Matt Smith paint up in this regard. It looks completely out of place on the character, so it bewilders me why they keep doing it. Tom's is so strong on my figure that he looks like a bit of a wino...which might not be too far from the truth, actually.

- The body on mine is also a bit 'floppy', so I'm not sure yet how well he will go long term standing up. I hate propping figures up with stands though, so just have to wait and see how that goes.

- The tailoring is mostly really well done. The vest on mine is a touch crooked, which is a shame, and the coat arms are a bit too long in my opinion, but other than that I have no real complaints. Just as with the Smith figure, I do worry about the buttons though, so keeping that in mind will have to be very careful handling this.

- The likeness is, unfortunately, my biggest issue with this figure. It just doesn't look enough like Tom as The Doctor for my money. The face is a bit too thin, is I think the main issue here. And the rather un-Tom like expression doesn't help matters much. Honestly, side by side I prefer my old Sixteen 12 1:6 scale Fourth Doctor statue, as far as likeness goes. I was hoping that just like that statue, this was another piece that just didn't photograph very well, but looked better in person. Alas not though. It's not terrible, but it's certainly not as good as I would have liked, and to my eye has certainly suffered during production much more than the Smith piece did, or the Tennant judging by photos. Oh well.

- I was also hoping to prefer the hair rather than the hat look, as I already have a be-hatted Tom on my shelf, but alas I'm not a real big fan of the hair on it's own, whereas I think the hat looks great. The hair alone though just looks a bit too much like a wig to me, rather than looking natural. I don't know if it's the lack of shading detail, or just the way it sits, but the hair under the hat just looks miles better to my eyes.

All in all I'd say that it is better than I thought it would be, based on early photos, but not as good as I had hoped it would be, back when I originally ordered, and all in all I still think the Smith figure turned out better overall. Slightly disappointed to be honest, but hopefully it'll grow on me.

Now, to open the Tenth Doctor up...

Welcome to the Big Chief Boards, Drake!

That's a very fair assessment of the Tom Baker 1:6 figure.

I, too, dislike the 5 O'clock shadow on the figure, in fact, I
disliked it enough that I used fine grain sandpaper to eliminate
it altogether! I also sanded most of the rest of the face, so as
to match the bottom part. It now more closely resembles the
look of the prototype - the look that we all thought we were
going to get.

I hope this "unshaven" look is not continued onto the rest of
the Doctors. I would not like that, and the growing consensus
is that most on here don't care for it, either.

Thank you.

How difficult was it to do, sanding the 5 o'clock shadow off? I'm all thumbs with this kind of thing, and I'd be afraid that I'm going to mess something up.

- The hat on mine has broken away from the hair in the box. Again it's an easy fix, and thankfully there doesn't seem to be any visual damage anywhere that I have spotted so far, but I shouldn't have to fix anything straight out of the box like this. Still, at least it is fixable with a bit of epoxy, so there's that.

What exactly do you mean by this? The hat is a removable piece so it can be held for posing.

Yeah, the hat is supposed to come off! :)
As for the hair not sitting right, just be sure you put the back end on first and that the hair is pressed all the way down in front. You might have it right, but it's worth a check.

As for the stands, it seems like they must have used some pretty cheap electronics for this as there seem to be a lot of non-working ones. To me, that's probably one of those quality-checks they should have the factory do to all of them. And if it happened in transit, then something isn't soldered or affixed in place well enough. I'm thankful mine were perfect, but I feel bad for others.

It's always interesting hearing other people's reactions, especially to head sculpts. While the 5'oclock shadows are weird and slightly bothersome as they really do make them look unshaven, they only seem more more noticeable in some lighting. I think the idea was to add some realism to the sculpt, but it's just too heavy-handed. I think they'd have been better to skip it entirely.

But, beyond that, I think he totally looks like Tom. Maybe not an exact replica, but I'd say it's the best sculpt of him we've had at this point. The thing is he just looks more like Tom, to me, with an expression most people don't associate him with. I really didn't think the head on mine was too narrow, though I wonder if that could even vary a little in a production run?

Thank you.

How difficult was it to do, sanding the 5 o'clock shadow off? I'm all thumbs with this kind of thing, and I'd be afraid that I'm going to mess something up.

It was quite the nerve racking chore to sand the Doctor's face!
At first, I was scared to death, and then I gained confidence as
I went along. It took maybe 6 hours of gentle sanding with a fine
grain sandpaper altogether.

This isn't the first figure I've had to do major work on.

I own over 100 figures - and have had to do work on at least
20 or so of them. It helps if you've had experience at building
models, which I have been doing since 1987.

I bought a badly damaged 1:6 R2D2 online - his paint was
badly faded, and the chrome on his dome was badly scratched up.
I repainted him, and used silver paint for the dome of his "head."

It took maybe 8 hours of careful painting- but I did a good job,
IMO. :)

I'd love to see the sanded Tom's face if you can get your camera to work P_P. It doesn't bother me much, but if it didn't mess up the sculpt I might be tempted... though I'd probably be too worried about screwing up the look. LOL.

It would be great to see pictures if you could manage that sometime. But you're a far braver man than I. Just don't think I could bring myself to do it personally.

I didn't realise that about the hat, makes sense though now I think about it. Don't know how I missed that along the way. Learn something new every day, I guess, so thanks for that. Although mine doesn't want to stay on the hair piece at all, as it is very loose.

As for the hair, it's all the way on, I did know about that. I'm just not real fond of how it looks. :)

Last edited:

The payment deadline for recieving it before Christmas was the 12th. If you've paid after, don't expect it to arrive by the 24th.

I paid the 13th, and I am not concerned about before Christmas delivery, I just want him sent out before Christmas, he can be in transit, that is fine...I have a feeling not much is going to happen anywhere next week due to the days Christmas falls on...

You need to remove the first https:// :)

...oh. Maybe not. It worked when I pasted the link into my browser's address field. You prolly need an image file extension for it to work rather than just paste the page location into the image URL field.

You need to remove the first https:// :)

...oh. Maybe not. It worked when I pasted the link into my browser's address field. You prolly need an image file extension for it to work rather than just paste the page location into the image URL field.

Thanks - could you tell me how to do that?

Back