Beware the Recaster(s)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, how's he getting a cast from the originals to begin with? Since he's been banned on here, he apparently has another user name or knows someone on here and they're getting them for him. Would that be correct?

Or he just bought one before he got banned.

I doubt its a conspiracy.

He could have someone buying heads for him but also remember that Rainman and Denny offer their heads to the public through their website.

Many of those were pre-banning... but I'm sure he's got friends and customers that will buy new heads for him. Just like Diver4 he'll make a business out of recasting other people's sculpts.

Very likely that Q has proxies buying for him through the board. What are you gonna do?

As much as people bemoan the practice, I don't think most honestly care. As long as they can get the heads they want, they'll keep buying them.
I think this is true. I think there's really a pretty small base of custom collector/fans who get their feathers riled up when this stuff happens (I being one of them). Most just want a nice figure, and aren't concerned with the details. Many others justify their behavior by saying that these are unlicensed to begin with, so no guilt buying something that was recast without the original artist's permission. I personally don't think that is cool at all, but we've all got our own opinions on this.

Heres my opinion of the matter.

Yes, stealing other people's work for your own financial gain is unquestionably wrong. It is very disrespectful to the person that created the sculpt in the first place.

However putting morals aside, I feel that it is an inevitable outcome of this hobby. If there is a demand for something, a supply will be found. People aren't going to just not buy something that they want out of a respect for the creator's desire to not produce more. So if a sculpter suddenly goes MIA while thier headsculpts are still popular; a recaster will no doubt pop up. Its just a fact.

Its an interesting discussion the whole morality/stealing art/selling without license etc.
I know when I was new to these boards and to the 1/6 hobby, I NEEDED RAINMANS "DOCTOR HUCKLEBERRY" he's one of my favorite all time movie characters and the sculpt/piece is brilliant in my opinion. Now, thankfully I was able to get one, but if I wasn't and one came available? Well I'm not saying I'd buy it, but man I'd be less than honest to say I wouldn't be tempted...

Is it any different than illegally downloading music, movies or games bc those are "big corporations"? Imagine if there was a great game that you just had to play, but the original "run" was gone and the only way to get it was a pirated copy? Is it more offensive/wrong bc we know or feel some sort of connection/respect to the sculptors? It's all very fascinating....Maybe not and I'm just bored

I think we all would say don't buy recasts until we want/need that recast. Don't get me wrong, they are evil, but as Mathewjc41 has said, I think we are all tempted to buy them if we want them...

And I'm sure as much as we all hate it, most have bought the odd recast here and there. It is part of the hobby. Not a good side of it, but it is there...

Of course if you are only buying recasts rather than original works, then you too are scum like the sellers!:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

I hate the recaster, then sell it and make the Brand itself, WTf in my country a lot going on like that and made with frills frills limited edition. LOL and of course the price same like preorder HT/the other 12inch brand, very funny

Quite honestly there's nothing we can do, besides if some artist filled a claim. Wouldn't ya think he'd have to explain why he sold Trademarked character without obtaining a license? Tbh this suggestion won't stop it, but bandage the situation. I propose the artist should give COAs with each headsculpt, a business card with written signature and production # would suffice. Cheap efficient and you at least know that it's authentic. Now this is where this comes in to play. When newly headsculpts are sold out with COA and people decide to sell theirs for any particular reason then you can ask the buyer for a COA thus providing the sculpt as 100% authentic.

I hate the recaster, then sell it and make the Brand itself, WTf in my country a lot going on like that and made with frills frills limited edition. LOL and of course the price same like preorder HT/the other 12inch brand, very funny

Um... that was hard to read, but I think I got most of it.

Odell has shown repeatedly how easy it is to create alts and even bragged about it over his YouTube vids. Anybody who remembers Selektiv's NECA trolling will agree. I don't see how far a stretch it is that Q would do the same. I'd look to members of their clique (Xpo attendees and promoters who're members here) if you want to point fingers at someone who gave them the older, sold out sculpts we're seeing recasted now.

Property rights all theses sculpts are unlincened so theirs no way to stop him.

That is true, and the only reason why I don't see how I can say anything.... I mean we are basically "borrowing" someone else's likeness.... but this is the excuse these people use to "borrow" our castings...
Truth is some active members here are connected to these guys.... some don't even see re-casting as an issue... they just try to appear like they do...trust me... it happens in every forum...
I have to add that if people want crappy castings, by all means get them... then sure there may be good quality re-casts, but guess what? sculptors like me will stop producing new portraits... it would be wise to not buy re-casts.

Last edited:
Odell has shown repeatedly how easy it is to create alts and even bragged about it over his YouTube vids. Anybody who remembers Selektiv's NECA trolling will agree. I don't see how far a stretch it is that Q would do the same. I'd look to members of their clique (Xpo attendees and promoters who're members here) if you want to point fingers at someone who gave them the older, sold out sculpts we're seeing recasted now.

I dont think its right to broadly suggest that all attendees of the Xpo be in question considering that includes the likes of Trevor, Zkulptor, and even Darklord Dave.

I had heard that a certain person active here has a friend that does re-casting... but I cannot say for sure as I don't know but you know who you are as I type this....

I had heard that a certain person active here has a friend that does re-casting... but I cannot say for sure as I don't know but you know who you are as I type this....

I think we should just have a good ol' fashioned witch hunt. Some McCarthy hearings, eh??

Name names, people.

Just to make everyone aware someone on eBay has just accused me of selling recasts. I don't know if they come on this forum but I am appalled that anyone would think that I do this. All the sculpts I have for sale on eBay can be seen in my for sale section. They are ALL originals from either rocco, skiman or commando. I wouldn't even know where to start when it comes to recasting. I shouldn't have to explain myself but felt the need to come on here as I do not want to get banned when I haven't done anything except selling my private collection.

Emma

Wait... seriously? Odell's name rings a bell... I think I've seen some of his videos on youtube before. :slap

Just to make everyone aware someone on eBay has just accused me of selling recasts. I don't know if they come on this forum but I am appalled that anyone would think that I do this. All the sculpts I have for sale on eBay can be seen in my for sale section. They are ALL originals from either rocco, skiman or commando. I wouldn't even know where to start when it comes to recasting. I shouldn't have to explain myself but felt the need to come on here as I do not want to get banned when I haven't done anything except selling my private collection.

Emma

I think people are jumping on the gun a bit quickly nowadays. Seems like you can't sell a head on ebay nowadays and being accused of recasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back