Avengers: Age of Ultron

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frustrated and obsessive are still human emotions. Ultron's actions as he evolves are more and more driven by emotions, mainly hatred. He even attempts to build himself a mate in the comics.

Exactly this. Now Arycon I apologize if I came off as a bit stand-offish/confrontational previously as my intentions were more to clarify on a certain number of consistencies in Ultron's characterization within the comics, but as Ultron-7 pointed, that's exactly it - Ultron's drive for destruction isn't one of simple emotional drive, but because he has a need to connect to others. What he recognizes as humanity's flaws are qualities that he can't find contentment with by sitting idly by, so instead he destroys them out of frustration.

Spoiler-tagging for those who want better understanding of what makes Ultron tick, but the TLDR should also be enough to explain it away:
Spoiler Spoiler:

TLDR: Ultron's emotions aren't entirely based on a desire for destruction but also to create and connect. His frustrations are also rooted to the fact that his very own thought processing is based on human brain patterns i.e. his thoughts are derived from human emotions (a huge part of his character).

Anyway back to the production shots, as you said Ultron-7, it's very hard to deny that the shots are anything but Ultron-inspired (the head shape, antenna and even some of the mouth structuring are directly ripped from Annihilation: Conquest and a bit of Age of Ultron). Though like you said, this is pre-CGI, for all we know, even with the smaller eyes, there's still the possibility that SFX lighting might be applied and given how the shape of the head lends itself to Ultron's classic mouth structure, a simple highlight of glowing red in key areas will be enough to make this closer to Ultron's signature design (I say signature instead of classic, because going full-blown retro classic might look too goofy and this is coming from an Ultron).

Exactly this. Now Arycon I apologize if I came off as a bit stand-offish/confrontational previously as my intentions were more to clarify on a certain number of consistencies in Ultron's characterization within the comics, but as Ultron-7 pointed, that's exactly it - Ultron's drive for destruction isn't one of simple emotional drive, but because he has a need to connect to others. What he recognizes as humanity's flaws are qualities that he can't find contentment with by sitting idly by, so instead he destroys them out of frustration.

Spoiler-tagging for those who want better understanding of what makes Ultron tick, but the TLDR should also be enough to explain it away:
Spoiler Spoiler:

TLDR: Ultron's emotions aren't entirely based on a desire for destruction but also to create and connect. His frustrations are also rooted to the fact that his very own thought processing is based on human brain patterns i.e. his thoughts are derived from human emotions (a huge part of his character).

Anyway back to the production shots, as you said Ultron-7, it's very hard to deny that the shots are anything but Ultron-inspired (the head shape, antenna and even some of the mouth structuring are directly ripped from Annihilation: Conquest and a bit of Age of Ultron). Though like you said, this is pre-CGI, for all we know, even with the smaller eyes, there's still the possibility that SFX lighting might be applied and given how the shape of the head lends itself to Ultron's classic mouth structure, a simple highlight of glowing red in key areas will be enough to make this closer to Ultron's signature design (I say signature instead of classic, because going full-blown retro classic might look too goofy and this is coming from an Ultron).

long-posts.jpg

Sorry had to do it, I'd rather not join the debate on Ultrons emotions because I generally agree he is not an emotionless robot and can of course convey many emotions as was in his original design(Pyms Brain Patterns) to do so. But I would weigh in on the set photos, I do sincerely hope that it is not Ultron, although at this point who knows and if it is he does NOT look menacing, not at all... which makes me lean more towards the pre-cgi POV because it was just the head, it could simply be intended to be used as a reference for the FX crew to render the final design

Sorry had to do it, I'd rather not join the debate on Ultrons emotions because I generally agree he is not an emotionless robot and can of course convey many emotions as was in his original design(Pyms Brain Patterns) to do so. But I would weigh in on the set photos, I do sincerely hope that it is not Ultron, although at this point who knows and if it is he does NOT look menacing, not at all... which makes me lean more towards the pre-cgi POV because it was just the head, it could simply be intended to be used as a reference for the FX crew to render the final design
Haha no offense taken! :lol

Though to be fair, that recent production shot is still very reminiscent of Ultron's most recent appearances (smaller eyes, curved antenna), so I wouldn't be surprised if they based it on them (incidentally and appropriately enough, from Age of Ultron):
3273899-0+%2810%29.jpg

Though to be fair, that recent production is very reminiscent of Ultron's most recent appearances, so I wouldn't be surprised if they based it on them:
3273899-0+%2810%29.jpg
[/QUOTE]

OH THATS GOOD! :wink1:

---''submit or perish''
---''I'll never give you the satisfaction Ultron'' :pow

Spoiler Spoiler:

Very :goodpost: Signature design is a better way of putting it. I just want that signature head to appear (like in the teaser) at least once and get a HT figure of it.

@Ronri

No worries, my friend. Everything you said was dead on. I guess I am just sort of saying from my point of view, Ultron's frustration leads him to strip away the qualities that I personally classify as defining human traits. I do agree emotions are part of that, but when he twists it into raw hatred and anger, he loses the very core of what traces of humanity he had. I mean, we all act on impulses, but I think of it like this...as people, we can think and grow and change and impact our world consciously. Animals react more on instinct and impulse. In a way, I view Ultron as devolving into a more primitive mental and emotional state, complex as he may be. In doing so, I see him as becoming less of a being influenced by human behavior, and more of one defined by its actions. I guess it is more how I view the character personally. I find it cool to see different points of view, though. Ultron is a deep and extremely complex character. Fantastic design all around.

And regardless...I do hope we see a progression in Ultron. I think it would be awesome for him to see more visually human-like at the beginning, and become the menacing jack-o-lantern being we are talking about toward the end. I think that would be great to see the change from good to evil in a visual way with his physical form.

I just hope HT does him justice. He is surely going to be a must have for me. Hands down. I just hope they shine him up. I wanted Winter Soldier, but his dull arm is a turn off for me. It needs to look like shiny metal, not a plastic hub cap.

@Ronri

No worries, my friend. Everything you said was dead on. I guess I am just sort of saying from my point of view, Ultron's frustration leads him to strip away the qualities that I personally classify as defining human traits. I do agree emotions are part of that, but when he twists it into raw hatred and anger, he loses the very core of what traces of humanity he had. I mean, we all act on impulses, but I think of it like this...as people, we can think and grow and change and impact our world consciously. Animals react more on instinct and impulse. In a way, I view Ultron as devolving into a more primitive mental and emotional state, complex as he may be. In doing so, I see him as becoming less of a being influenced by human behavior, and more of one defined by its actions. I guess it is more how I view the character personally. I find it cool to see different points of view, though. Ultron is a deep and extremely complex character. Fantastic design all around.

And regardless...I do hope we see a progression in Ultron. I think it would be awesome for him to see more visually human-like at the beginning, and become the menacing jack-o-lantern being we are talking about toward the end. I think that would be great to see the change from good to evil in a visual way with his physical form.

I just hope HT does him justice. He is surely going to be a must have for me. Hands down. I just hope they shine him up. I wanted Winter Soldier, but his dull arm is a turn off for me. It needs to look like shiny metal, not a plastic hub cap.

This for sure, gotta have that shiny "adamantium" (well vibranium) chassis.

This for sure, gotta have that shiny "adamantium" (well vibranium) chassis.

Shiny yes, but hopefully he'll be something like an Iron Man suit just more durable and look like Ultron obviously, I'm a fan of the BD MKVII so hopefully we get a BD Ultron too

Shiny yes, but hopefully he'll be something like an Iron Man suit just more durable and look like Ultron obviously, I'm a fan of the BD MKVII so hopefully we get a BD Ultron too

You never know, i hope he doesn't have switch out panels tho.

Back