Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is looking pretty good so far. There?s certainly some photos that are bringing out its better qualities, but there are some aspects that are keeping my expectations in check. Now, the general consensus here is extremely favourable, so I want to preface this by saying I?m not here to bring the vibe down or poo-poo Asmus. Overall, what they have achieved with a mass produced figure is incredible. I just have some issues that keep it from being an instant home run for me.
Seems like having the hat filled in is what?s making it sit high and look a bit goofy. I shudder at the thought of cutting holes in an expensive figure?s accessories, but that may be a solution to make it sit right. It?s an integral part of his design and contributes to his instantly recognisable silhouette, whether it?s live action film, the Bakshi animation or an Alan Lee drawing. I?d like to use it.
The eyes...the window to the soul! The most important part of ?connecting? with someone in real life or a 1/6 figure. As mentioned earlier, there?s something a bit off because of the PERS. I have the HT Indy, and that is certainly a major factor in that headsculpt looking wrong. The prototype pics of Gandalf don?t seem to have them set back as much.
Nit picky...but that base looks a little small to comfortably display the figure. I really want to use it since it was a selling point and the details look good.
The robes look a little stiff, but some proper futzing might make them behave better.
I want to really love this figure. I?m hoping once I have him in hand I can bring out the best in it.
It?s a huge undertaking for Asmus and I want to support them as much as I can. I?m really happy with their Frodo and Sam figures they reissued and I?m looking forward to seeing what they do with Gollum/Smeagol.
I?m sure we?ll see a lot more pics and maybe even some mods that will reveal the true greatness!

Oh.....and Pipegate! What gives? [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just paid my invoice and eagerly awaiting his arrival! Fingers crossed the box doesn’t get smashed in transit as all my direct asmus order seem to come slightly crushed

People are starting to get their invoices. I am not one of them. Order from Asmus on June 26 2019. Good luck everyone.
Yes!! Just checked my email and invoice is PAID! YES!!

Agree,..this is match with sideshow gandalf plastic hat...batter a lot right?XD

5dc81f3494a9cb194f3fe094bbb3261e.jpg
I have the Sideshow hat so yeah I'm glad it looks better, but I don't think I'll bother using it as I want to show off the hair...

I dont really understand how they can make a Gandalf figure, show the pipe in the proto images and then not include it. Its an iconic part of his character imo.
Personally I'll never use the pipe. It always looks silly displayed with him. Or at least I've never seen a properly posed Gandalf with his pipe. And no, his pipe is not as iconic as Mauls saber. That analogy would make sense if talking about his staff....

You?re going to miss out on this awesome figure because it?s missing the pipe? Really?
Exactly. Pretty silly reason to cancel such an amazing release. The amount of silly nonsense I've read on FB..."eyes are too blue"

Are you kidding me?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yes!! Just checked my email and invoice is PAID! YES!!

I have the Sideshow hat so yeah I'm glad it looks better, but I don't think I'll bother using it as I want to show off the hair...

Personally I'll never use the pipe. It always looks silly displayed with him. Or at least I've never seen a properly posed Gandalf with his pipe. And no, his pipe is not as iconic Mauls saber. That analogy would make sense if talking about his staff....

Exactly. Pretty silly reason to cancel such an amazing release. The amount of silly nonsense I've read on FB..."eyes are too blue"

Are you kidding me?

Well to me its an iconic piece for him, so him not having it is an issue. I dont really see why you seem to be so offended over other peoples opinions on a plastic dolly. Im not cancelling it anyway as I never preordered it to begin with.

And the eyes are too blue though, and there?s too much black space around them for the PERS system which makes them look weird and unnatural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well to me its an iconic piece for him, so him not having it is an issue. I dont really see why you seem to be so offended over other peoples opinions on a plastic dolly. Im not cancelling it anyway as I never preordered it to begin with.

And the eyes are too blue though, and there?s too much black space around them for the PERS system which makes them look weird and unnatural.

Not offended. Just pointing out I think its a bit silly. Having said that, if the pipe was included in the list of items at preorder Asmus should be held legally responsible to provide the item. But as with many things in this hobby things change.

Just seems like a lot of people are trying to find things wrong with this to either feel better about missing out or just to troll Asmus. Not saying you are one of those but I've seen it on Facebook.

Eyes aren't too blue. Having just finished watching both trilogies on 4K recently. Ian's eyes are bright blue. If there is any hint of dulling of the blue in the films it's from scene to scene or the inclusion of a film filter.5cnnnpnJG6TiYUSS7qgJheUZgnv.jpg

Last edited:
Not offended. Just pointing out I think its a bit silly. Having said that, if the pipe was included in the list of items at preorder Asmus should be held legally responsible to provide the item. But as with many things in this hobby things change.

I'm glad you are keeping your order though as I think you'll be happy overall. Just seems like a lot of people are trying to find things wrong with this to either feel better about missing out or just to troll Asmus. Not saying you are one of those but I've seen it on Facebook.

Eyes aren't too blue. Having just finished watching both trilogies on 4K recently. Ian's eyes are bright blue. If there is any hint of dulling of the blue in the films it's from scene to scene or the inclusion of a film filter.View attachment 505348

Well the eye colour may be accurate to the actor but the prototypes eyes still looked better though. And it doesnt change the gaps between the eyes and the socket that make it look unnatural. It looks like a good figure, but they should just have left out the PERS system

Eyes aren't too blue. Having just finished watching both trilogies on 4K recently. Ian's eyes are bright blue. If there is any hint of dulling of the blue in the films it's from scene to scene or the inclusion of a film filter.View attachment 505348

Pff, his eyes look too sunken there, McKellen should have adjusted his eyeballs before this photo... :wink1: Joking of course, but it is important to keep in mind that particularly the upper eyelids do start drooping with age, and the figure should reflect that. It can be overdone of course, which might be the case with this figure - I've seen photos so far where it looks bad, and other photos where it's a non-issue for me. I guess I'll see what it's like in-hand.

I'm loving these two shots, particularly the last one. Looks like the clothing will need some more weathering and futzing but man, that sculpt is gorgeous.

Where did you see that?

Also is anyone going to attempt to fix the eyes?

Hi,bro i saw form baidu chinese forum..asmus already reply them will try to solve this issue( without pipe)..some of owner try to repaint the eye ball. some mention the sclera part abit greynish, paint lighten look better..

Pff, his eyes look too sunken there, McKellen should have adjusted his eyeballs before this photo... :wink1: Joking of course, but it is important to keep in mind that particularly the upper eyelids do start drooping with age, and the figure should reflect that. It can be overdone of course, which might be the case with this figure - I've seen photos so far where it looks bad, and other photos where it's a non-issue for me. I guess I'll see what it's like in-hand.

I'm loving these two shots, particularly the last one. Looks like the clothing will need some more weathering and futzing but man, that sculpt is gorgeous.
Agreed. I'm not sure when this photo McKellan was taken but I'm sure it's more recent than when the trilogy was filmed 20 years ago. I dont remember, but I'm pretty sure aside from the hair/beard the only other thing Ian had for makeup effects was the nose.

Yeah I'm getting strong HT Indy vibes from the eyes too, and I'm really surprised people here are mostly unbothered by it. As I think it really throws off the likeness and makes him look more like a ventriloquist dummy.

Mckellen may have light blue eyes, but even those will usually look fairly dark from a distance. The whites of the eyes being so dark and gray doesn't help either, so guess I'll have to try repainting both when I get mine, and hope that helps.

4417580d0625b5e57f220c49f80059e0~01.jpg

Back