Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, think I need to see more pics. For some reason I'm not feeling the likeness quite as much as on the proto. Perhaps because the the hair seems a bit lighter than it was?

The production piece does have lighter hair, though I think that is more accurate to what's seen on screen. 1951290129-LordOTRingsFellowship_216Pyxurz.jpg

So that unboxing showed me next to nothing other than the head sculpt and the fact that the clothes aren't any thinner, which I said wouldn't be almost a year ago. As expected, no one is saying anything here other than blind praise. Color me surprised.

It's rather impressive and praise worthy that Asmus is offering rooted hair at this level of detail along with the rest of the figure at the same (or similar) price it would cost to have just the head alone rooted by some of the top custom artist out there. Go ask Owen, Jacob Rahmier or Shane Poole to paint and root the head like this and I guarantee you'll barely have enough money to buy a spare body with the same budget as this entire figure costs. It's not blind praise. Asmus deserves a bravo for doing something that not even HT has done and doing it well at that.

It's rather impressive and praise worthy that Asmus is offering rooted hair at this level of detail along with the rest of the figure at the same (or similar) price it would cost to have just the head alone rooted by some of the top custom artist out there. Go ask Owen, Jacob Rahmier or Shane Poole to paint and root the head like this and I guarantee you'll barely have enough money to buy a spare body with the same budget as this entire figure costs. It's not blind praise. Asmus deserves a bravo for doing something that not even HT has done and doing it well at that.
100% last quote I got for a rooting hair job was $600.

These guys complaining have no clue what Asmus has accomplished here. "Blind praise" yeah lol [emoji38] okayyyy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Idk about you guys, but the beard color looks good to me. If anything, it's a little too bushy, but it's not bad overall. I think the likeness is far and away the best Asmus has produced.

That's great and all but some of us would have liked to see the rest of the figure actually improved. So much for the "crown" line of releases, they should just call it rooted head rerelease series.

That's great and all but some of us would have liked to see the rest of the figure actually improved. So much for the "crown" line of releases, they should just call it rooted head rerelease series.
Like I said, go on custom one sixth and start an interest thread for a "better" clothing set. Grab the head when they offer it separately.

You'll be paying more. But you want a better clothing set, I guess you pay for it.

You are literally getting a custom level headsculpt for fraction of the price. Pretty much getting the body/base/clothing/accessories for free on top of that and you are complaining.

And then have the gall to come on here and call people blind for praising this release! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Some people.

Last edited:

Don?t buy it then and get someone to do a full custom job. Will cost you $1500+ for a figure like that. We await the results.

The production pieces look absolutely stunning. Have any additional Crown figures been confirmed? I seem to recall GTW and possibly Aragorn being mentioned, but weren't in production to the best of my knowledge. Crown Saruman would be a great next choice IMO. I'd really like to see Asmus produce rooted hair portrait upgrades for Legolas, Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin. Even at $150-$200/per, they'd be cheaper than custom paint and hair.

Exactly what I'm saying. Either he has no clue. Or the sense of entitlement is staggering.

I think it?s a combination of both with a little ignorance mixed in.
Ignorance in the sense that doesn?t realize the majority of us are happy with this product and how it?s turned out. Quality and serious bag for our buck. A proper rooted head with moving eyes, good diorama base, and some accessories.
I have two completely custom figures with another in progress and each figure cost a lot.
I was recently quote $1200 for a head sculpt off a top artist for a one off head.
So I appreciate the value and quality of the product Asmus are giving us.

The production pieces look absolutely stunning. Have any additional Crown figures been confirmed? I seem to recall GTW and possibly Aragorn being mentioned, but weren't in production to the best of my knowledge. Crown Saruman would be a great next choice IMO. I'd really like to see Asmus produce rooted hair portrait upgrades for Legolas, Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin. Even at $150-$200/per, they'd be cheaper than custom paint and hair.
Agreed. Kinda why I'm holding off on hairing my Hobbits because I know the moment I get them done they announce a crown series version [emoji38]

Already haired Legolas so I dont think Ill both with a Crown version of him. But would like to see Aragorn get the treatment. And maybe finally nail the sculpt.

As Rzeznikk said, go check out the custom forum and see what it costs to get everything you think you should be getting. Since I was just posting about this in another thread, here is a production Trinity figure $150-$200 and a custom Trinity $1000. I have both. I have actually owned the custom for a couple of years now. Still ordered the production anyway. Never in my wildest dreams would I expect to get anything close to the custom in terms of quality.
Trinity 2.jpg
T-C01.jpg

I think they hinted at a Crown series Aragorn for his coronation outfit? I know they said they're thinking of doing his Black Gate look not sure what the plan there is.

I really wish they would revisit his Fellowship outfit. I still associate that outfit with him the most and find it the most suited.

I think they hinted at a Crown series Aragorn for his coronation outfit? I know they said they're thinking of doing his Black Gate look not sure what the plan there is.

I really wish they would revisit his Fellowship outfit. I still associate that outfit with him the most and find it the most suited.
I'd prefer the Fellowship outfit for a Crown release as well.

Back