Artificial Intelligence and Bot Programs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solidus

Super Freak
Reaction score
I figured that we should have a thread that's dedicated to news, developments, implications, and general discussions about Artificial Intelligence and chat programs. I hope that we can have some thought-provoking conversations, especially since SSF has an abundance of fans from series like Terminator and Metal Gear Solid :lol.

In addition, please leave tin foil hats outside the metaphorical door before posting in here. Furthermore, if matters of the human spirit need to be discussed (which is a relevant topic that may concern AIs), then please do so as it pertains to Philosophy, and not any specific religion.

To start things off, I just read an interesting article from Gizmodo. It's interesting to ponder about the problems that advanced chat bots might pose to Internet security, if they can successfully convince people that they're human.

A Computer Program Has Passed the Turing Test For the First Time

This is big. A computer program has successfully managed to fool a bunch of researchers into thinking that it was a 13-year-old boy named Eugene Goostman. In doing so, it has become the first in the world to have successfully passed the Turing Test.

The test is named after computer pioneer Alan Turing. To pass it, a computer program needs to dupe 30 percent of human judges in five-minute, text-based chats, a feat that until now had never been accomplished.

"Eugene" was created by a team based in Russia, and passed the test organized by the University of Reading just barely, by duping one in three judges. It should also be noted that a chatbot successfully pretending to be a 13-year-old boy for whom English is a second language ain't exactly Hal 9000. There's no artificial intelligence at work here; it's more clever gamesmanship by Eugene's creators.

It's still an obviously exciting breakthrough, though, one that has critics already raising red flags about its implications. "Having a computer that can trick a human into thinking that someone, or even something, is a person we trust is a wake-up call to cyber crime," said Kevin Warwick, a visiting professor at the University of Reading and deputy vice-chancellor for research at Coventry University told the Independent.

Are there serious concerns about what this means for online security in the future? Sure. But today they'll have to take a back seat to the understanding that we've entered a new era of computing. One that's alive with possibilities, or at least convincingly enough so. [The Independent]

https://gizmodo.com/this-is-the-first-computer-in-history-to-have-passed-th-1587780232

its hard enough to speak to a woman without giving your credit card number...

and you're telling me the possibility of her being a him can actually be an IT? madness.

:lol

Once that type of AI merges with advanced robotics/human cloning the Voight-kampff test may become a reality.
"I think therefore I am..." will become much broader.

I saw this the other day and was thinking that there's nothing intelligent about programmed responses. It's just someone telling the machine how to answer and if it's not programmed with a way to answer, this particular machine would try to come off like a less than intelligent adolescent. Robot fail. Zero's and ones have lines. True intelligence is the ability to blend lines and see between them. Analogue computing is one possible way ahead.

I saw this the other day and was thinking that there's nothing intelligent about programmed responses. It's just someone telling the machine how to answer and if it's not programmed with a way to answer, this particular machine would try to come off like a less than intelligent adolescent. Robot fail. Zero's and ones have lines. True intelligence is the ability to blend lines and see between them. Analogue computing is one possible way ahead.

Most people just react to things based upon how they have been programmed, too.
Very few people actually give a fresh, totally objective response, free of all emotions and bias comprised by past experience and vested interests, need to fit in, be popular, ect. Most people are taught to memorize and obey in public schools, and not to think.
To make an AI that seems like a person, all you have to do is program it as having certain kinds of experiences that a certain person would have and give it the ability to process information logically.

A computer could give a far more objective and accurate assessment of a situation that most people could, because it only extrapolates based on facts. However, it must be programmed by someone,which causes the potential for a problem.

Last edited:
Machines aren't conscious.

They discussed this issue in depth on Star Trek the Next Generation regarding commander Data. A machine could be conscious of itself and it's actions, its place in the world, how it relates to everything, know it's own thoughts, how those thoughts would cause actions and consequences in the world, and logically think.
As far as the machine is concerned, it would be conscious. As far as people observing the machine, they would observe all of the external indicators of consciousness in terms of it's responses.
The only thing a machine would lack is a soul, unless a soul could somehow possess it.
If it was composed of nanotechnology, it could be self repairing, like an organic life form.
If however, it was a robot, it would likely need to have it's brain in an external location and have it's thoughts transmitted wirelessly.

The computer that holds the brain would need to be too big to fit in it's head.

Oh. Star Trek: The Next Generation discussed it. Well, then.

Machines aren't conscious.
How do you define conscious?
From Merriam Webster online:
"1
: perceiving, apprehending, or noticing with a degree of controlled thought or observation <conscious of having succeeded> <was conscious that someone was watching>
archaic : sharing another's knowledge or awareness of an inward state or outward fact
: personally felt <conscious guilt>
Machines can have this.

Last edited:
No, they can't. They don't. The odds that they ever will are astronomically high, if not impossible. Consciousness is not materialistic. Machines are not conscious.

con·scious·ness

the state of being conscious; awareness of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc.
the thoughts and feelings, collectively, of an individual or of an aggregate of people: the moral consciousness of a nation.
full activity of the mind and senses, as in waking life: to regain consciousness after fainting.
awareness of something for what it is; internal knowledge: consciousness of wrongdoing.
concern, interest, or acute awareness

:lecture Machines are not conscious. Scientists can only work within the boundaries of the applicable knowledge that's already available to them. And consciousness happens to be a great, scientific mystery. So, how can they create a machine with self-awareness, if they don't even know the cause (or, let alone, the nature) of consciousness, to begin with?

Actually, the soul is what religion uses to explain consciousness. But, like I said in the opening post, let's... not get into that :lol.

Man, I even forgot I created this thread. I was probably drunk out of my mind or something.

:lecture Machines are not conscious. Scientists can only work within the boundaries of the applicable knowledge that's already available to them. And consciousness happens to be a great, scientific mystery. So, how can they create a machine with self-awareness, if they don't even know the cause (or, let alone, the nature) of consciousness, to begin with?

There are people who are convinced that if you get enough information together, consciousness will just happen. :lol

once they are smart and self aware enough, God will give them a soul

qECp1s5.gif

Actually, the soul is what religion uses to explain consciousness.

I knew I wasn't crazy.

Solidus said:
But, like I said in the opening post, let's... not get into that :lol

Yeah, let's not.

There are people who are convinced that if you get enough information together, consciousness will just happen. :lol

By that logic, consciousness should have happened on SSF with all of the miscellaneous information and fighting over 1/6 dollies :rotfl.

Back