Art Appreciation - Pin-Up Style

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
new cesar gaspar fathom commission layout

sketch_fathom-1.jpg

Lookin good Ink! But you gotta have some appendage on her that's turning into water, don't you? I've always wanted to see her hair turning at the end tips, but maybe that's more of a coloring issue than a sketching issue. . .

In my own good news, my DeBalfo commission just arrived in the mail and it looks awesome! What I can't decide on now is how to get it inked. Do I have someone ink a copy of it, have someone ink the piece itself, who should I use, what questions should I ask the inker, etc etc. I think I'm gonna wait until the comic cover is published to get an idea of what Mike see's in this image and what he's gonna ask of the inker and colorist to do with it before I make my own move

Lookin good Ink! But you gotta have some appendage on her that's turning into water, don't you? I've always wanted to see her hair turning at the end tips, but maybe that's more of a coloring issue than a sketching issue. . .

In my own good news, my DeBalfo commission just arrived in the mail and it looks awesome! What I can't decide on now is how to get it inked. Do I have someone ink a copy of it, have someone ink the piece itself, who should I use, what questions should I ask the inker, etc etc. I think I'm gonna wait until the comic cover is published to get an idea of what Mike see's in this image and what he's gonna ask of the inker and colorist to do with it before I make my own move

sometimes I do, the fred benes commission had the water effect

Cool, so I woke up today and got an email from Amex saying that they've refunded my $210 from Garza.

Now what I'm wondering is if I should email him about the $160 in cash he still owes me. I'd hate to use the word "threat," but should I tell him that even though our transaction soured and he didn't get his way that I'm not gonna let that money go and I will demand something from him at the next convention we're both attending?

Is that overkill or is it fair to send him? I doubt I'll get a reply, but it'll make me feel better having sent it (if I should send it at all).

Here's a new Keu Cha Ian Nottingham:

nottingham_commission_by_keucha-d4ng99f.jpg

I don't really see the harm in sending the notice of want for restitution, but I'd advise you to word it VERY carefully and not expect much (if anything) in reply, except perhaps some vitriol. He'll likely cry foul. The sad fact is that you have a very shaky legal leg to stand on in that regard- no written contract was drafted and the deal was made under unverifiable circumstances. The bond of one's word doesn't count for much these days, y'know?

I don't really see the harm in sending the notice of want for restitution, but I'd advise you to word it VERY carefully and not expect much (if anything) in reply, except perhaps some vitriol. He'll likely cry foul. The sad fact is that you have a very shaky legal leg to stand on in that regard- no written contract was drafted and the deal was made under unverifiable circumstances. The bond of one's word doesn't count for much these days, y'know?

Admittedly, me sending him an email is more for my own sanity than it is for any type of realistic restitution. I just want the satisfaction of telling him that yes, I got my Amex money back and that as angry as he might be I'm not just going to disappear from his life while he still owes me $160; that I won't be afraid to approach him at any convention and make it known that he owes me money or a full bodied sketch. And I also want to tell him that if me being at his table takes away from him getting other fans from buying a sketch, so be it. I won't create a scene and I won't be crude, rude, or obscene about it. Nothing will come from my end other than the straight facts. I just don't know if sending him an email like that would be considered a terrible thing on my part of this mess.

If anything, what's got me hyped up tonight is that he made a post on his Facebook today that I find terribly hypocritical and dubious. I'll post his words here and maybe you'll be able to see how staying quiet in this instance might just drive you nuts:

Alé Garza
i'm not saying that democrats don't have good ideas, but the facts are are there a ton of lazy ass people out there who don't want to work, and to do as little as possible, and will take advantage of any handout that's placed on the table.... just sayin' is all:)....boobies

I guess he's on of those people :nono

Money is money. He needs to realize that you worked hard for your money just as he does.

Plain and simple: He owes you a refund or a full bodied sketch. :lecture

I don't think a well worded email is out of line. Just be professional and straight to the point.

OR! You can reply to his FB post like so:

It's really fantastic to see you think that way. So I can expect that sketch I paid $160 for last year anytime now, right? Because, y'know, you're loathe to be hypocritical and all... right? Alternatively, I'll accept a refund.

Put him on the spot where everybody can see it. THAT would light a fire under his ass with a quickness and probably see some spectacular results.

OR! You can reply to his FB post like so:

It's really fantastic to see you think that way. So I can expect that sketch I paid $160 for last year anytime now, right? Because, y'know, you're loathe to be hypocritical and all... right? Alternatively, I'll accept a refund.

Put him on the spot where everybody can see it. THAT would light a fire under his ass with a quickness and probably see some spectacular results.

or it could completely backfire and his friends & followers could jump you

I thought about replying on Facebook, but the reality is that he would delete my post, remove me as a friend, and I would lose out on being able to follow his posted news of where he'll be attending conventions and what current work he's doing, etc etc...

I'll write him a straight forward email, nothing too threatening, but just a little something that will keep me in the back of his mind whenever he plans on going to conventions.

or it could completely backfire and his friends & followers could jump you

As results go, yeah, that would be spectacular... spectacularly bad. Maybe saying that on FB might not be the best idea. I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I'm a cantankerous old bastard, so my mileage varies on that sort of stuff.

-Alright, a couple things. Here's what I sent to Garza. I think it sounds fair, is threatening enough that I don't sound like I'm gonna attack him in any way, and is straight forward to what I want done. At best I'm hoping I get a reply from him in anger so at least I know he read it :p

Hi

So, I got my money back through Amex/Paypal and you and I are at odds now. I'm sorry it's come to this, but you still owe me $160 in cash or the full bodied sketch you've promised me since the April 1st 2011 San Francisco Wondercon convention. Please be aware that I won't be afraid to approach you at any convention and ask for either of these two things back from you. Just because you might be upset with me due to your own inabilities to honor your word of finishing this commission, don't confuse your emotions with the fact that my hard earned money is something you can't just take away from me without a fight.

Either get my piece done and mailed to me, or be prepared to deal with me in person and emails until I get something in restitution.

Thanks,
Jake
(mailing address included)
Regarding: $160 full bodied Dark Phoenix commission

(erp, reading it back I see my sentence structure error in that second to last sentence... Oh well)

-Next, what do you guys think about selling custom made art prints from original art that you own? I see eBay doing this all the time, and while I think it's crappy for someone to do it with art that doesn't belong to them (I used to own a Campbell Baroness piece that was being sold as an art print without my knowledge or consent), it' looks like a great way to make some quick cash that can be reinvested back into getting more art (well, for me to reinvest in more art if I were to do this).

I don't know if this is a taboo kinda situation, if it's looked down upon by the artist who made you the original piece, or if the people buying it for such a high price don't like it, (etc etc); so I thought I would ask about it here since I respect this communities opinion so much :D I won't do it if it's a considered a no-no, but I'd hate to have what happened to me with the Baroness piece repeat itself with my Fairchild piece where someone else would make money on my owned art. At most I used to see my piece being used to sell the sketchbook it's in, but I let it slide since it was in the sketchbook. (And when I say my piece, I mean my colored piece and not the greyed version that's printed in the book itself).

Example

Example

Last edited:
I dunno, man. That's kind of a hard call to make. The best advice I could give is this: how much do you believe in the Golden Rule? What does the artist within you say about it? How did you feel about the Baroness situation?

My guess is that, in your heart, you already know YOUR answer and you're looking for either validation or some sort of "out".

See, I don't know what the "Golden Rule" is, so I have no idea if I should believe in it or not. The way I see things is that either I can make 10 of these things, have JSC sign them, and make $2k that I could throw towards affording an Adam Hughes sketch, or just keep the art to myself. If there's money to be made here that people won't frown upon, I'll take it. But if making a print off of work that you own, but didn't draw, is considered wrong, I wouldn't think twice about doing nothing.

I felt bad when someone else was making money off of art that I owned without my permission, but I don't feel bad about this dude with his Supergirl print making money off of it if he/she is the owner. But again, I don't know if it's considered morally wrong on his/her part in doing so, so that's why I'm asking what you guys think. I'm taking it that you're on the stance that it's wrong to do so, right Nightshadow?

Not necessarily wrong, per se. My suggestion is to contact the original artist and see how he feels about it.

The Golden Rule (in case you're not being sarcastic, which is entirely possible) goes thusly: Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you.

If you created a piece of art, sold it and then learned that the person you sold it to was making infinitely more $$$ off of it, would you at least have preferred to be warned about it?

I guess it's one of those shady ethics things. On the one hand, you paid for it and it's yours. On the other hand, someone put a piece of who they are into it. Ownership of art can be a very weird thing sometimes.

So, yeah, I'd at least let the artist know what you like to do and ask how they feel about it. From that point, follow your conscience. That's my advice.

Thanks for the advice! :) I wasn't being sarcastic at all, and honestly I was in a different mind set trying to think of what the golden rule was when putting it into the context of comic art, lol.

Yea, maybe I'll talk to Scott about it someday; it's not like I'm pining to do this or am feeling a great urge to do so. I just happened to be looking on ebay for old JSC stuff and saw these auctions and thought "Wow, I wonder if I could do this and if I should do this before someone else takes it from me like they did with my Baroness piece?"

Back