Are the 12" figures mixed media?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
It would seem obvious to me that the answer is "yes". But if anyone wants to give an official opinion...

Of course, most 1/6's are plastic, fabric, with a little metal thrown in there. But I think the term in marketing usage is supposed to evoke a sense of higher quality or something. :monkey1

Amanaman said:
Of course, most 1/6's are plastic, fabric, with a little metal thrown in there. But I think the term in marketing usage is supposed to evoke a sense of higher quality or something. :monkey1

I agree with both points there. Mixed media sounds more sophisticated than "bunch of crap we threw together", and marketing is all about the best way to SELL a product. 1/6 figures are easier to sell because they are cheaper. Trying to convince someone to spend several hundred dollars on an item means that the marketing department needs to spin it a different way.

Maybe someone from sideshow can clarify why the term mixed media was used too. I'd bet money that it was to distinguish them from the all polystone LOTR figures.

I associate mixed media with statues/art. I dont really see figures as art.

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying a figure can't be art. Hell, a well made 3-7" figure can be art, but I don't think an articulated figure qualifies as a mixed media figure under any circumstance. It should be a term reserved for statues or other types of sculptures.

I love my dolls....................just don't tell anyone I called them that! :lol And to answer the question, of course they are, but like many have said, I think the term was created for the high-end stuff, it's a fancy term.

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying a figure can't be art. Hell, a well made 3-7" figure can be art, but I don't think an articulated figure qualifies as a mixed media figure under any circumstance. It should be a term reserved for statues or other types of sculptures.

That's true Dave, but I think if a figure ends up being worthy of the art label, it is definitely an exception.

I see art as something created from nothing. You take a mound of clay and make it into a sculpture, etc. With figures, it would be pretty hard to make a plastic base body out of nothing. The most you could really do is the head and hands, maybe accessories. *shrugs*

DaveRS has a point - "mixed media" is an art term usually used to define a fine art piece that is not classifiable as a single type of art such as "painting" or "sculpture".

However I do believe that SSC used the term to distinguish between the fully sculpted pieces and those that were designed to be more realistic using real world materials as themselves rather than being sculpted just to look like real world materials.

But even if you look at 12" figures as "less than" their larger siblings, you can't deny that they are not all one material, and thus are "mixed media" by definition.

My point in this thread wasn't to start a debate, but to see if SSC might have a point of view on it.

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=+1]mixed media or mixed-media [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]- A technique involving the use of two or more artistic media, such as ink and pastel or painting and collage, that are combined in a single composition. The term intermedia is used synonymously. (Avoid using "multimedia" as a synonym, because that is likely to cause confusion.)[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=+1]Examples:[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Pablo Picasso (Spanish, 1881-1972), Still Life with Chair-Caning, 1912, oilcloth patterned with imitation caning, oil on canvas, and a frame made of rope, 10 1/8 x 13 3/4 inches, Musée Picasso, Paris.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Joseph Cornell (American, 1903-1972), Suzy's Sun (for Judy Tyler), 1957, mixed-media shadow box construction, 10 3/4 x 15 x 4 inches (27.3 x 38.1 x 10.2 cm), North Carolina Art Museum, Raleigh. See sculpture.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Jess [Collins], (American,1923-), The Mouse's Tale, 1951-1954, gelatin silver prints, magazine reproductions, and gouache on paper, 47 x 32 inches (119.3 x 81.2 cm), San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. Visual games and puns are the essence of Jess' works, which he prefers to call "Paste-Ups" because of the term's childlike association.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Edward Kienholz (American, 1927-1994)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
T03382_7.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
left_arrow.red.GIF
Daniel Spoerri (Swiss, 1930-), Prose Poems, 1959-60, mixed media on wood, 27 1/.8 x 21 3/.8 x 14 1/4 inches (69.0 x 54.2 x 36.1 cm), Tate Gallery, London — an actual meal as abandoned on a board. See Fluxus, ontbijt, and rhopography.
[/SIZE]

Technically EVERY 12" figure is mixed media. They are made from more than one material. But the term, as mentioned before, is usually associated with the PF statue and not the 12" figure. Although some will go to great lengths to try to convince you otherwise. I'm glad most have their own opinion on this and are not meek and obidient sheep being hearded down the well shodden corridor, into the valley of steel.

I agree they're mixed media but I don't go around calling them that. I don't go around calling my Premium Formats mixed media either.

Mixed Media and Premium Format are just terms that Sideshow uses so they can charge more and make statue collectors feel better about buying a non-articulated doll. :lol

Back