Archery. Compound Bows, Cross Bows, Long Bows...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkknight

Super Freak
Reaction score
Don't know how much interest there is in archery but wanted to start a thread. I'm a newb at this and just purchased a 2013 PSE Stinger 3G Compound bow. I was leaning more to a cross bow but ended up getting a compound bow, I still want to get a cross bow in the near future.

I got my 7 year old son a Bear Archery Scout so we can learn at the same time.

I also want to go boar hunting with a friend that that does so.

I just placed the order yesterday and will post pictures once I get it. I would love to see others set up even hunts.

As I mentioned in the gun thread. I very much want to get back in to archery. I am looking forward to sharing that in this thread.

I have a Hoyt eclipse limited edition recurve, and a lotr legolas longbow. Been shooting on and off for four years though not so much last 18 months as now have arthritis which limits my practise due to pain.

Posted from Sideshowcollectors.com App for Android

As I mentioned in the gun thread. I very much want to get back in to archery. I am looking forward to sharing that in this thread.

What are you plan on picking up if you do? What's your measurement? Since I'm new I got it set at 55#. I can do 60# but don't know how many pulls it will take for me to start to fatigue, I need to work that muscle up. 70# is a beeotch.

I have a Hoyt eclipse limited edition recurve, and a lotr legolas longbow. Been shooting on and off for four years though not so much last 18 months as now have arthritis which limits my practise due to pain.

Posted from Sideshowcollectors.com App for Android

Sorry to hear about it, but would love to see some pictures. I also was thinking of getting a recurve because of the simplicity.

I'll basically be starting from scratch again. So I'll have to find out what weight I am handling when I go in to buy the bow.

I am still very much on the fence about what I want in a bow. A compund is a no-brainer...but I like recurves as well. I will likely go both.

I did see picture online of a very nice tactical recurve a few weeks ago that I liked, but I could not find a maker or model. So for a recurve, I would like to look in to finding out about the one I saw.

And when I was young, all I had was Bear. So they are going to be a frontrunner in my mind until I find something I like better. But I will keep an open mind until I do.

My daughters have also expressed an interest in archery...but I am thinking that it was just a whim they got after seeing "Brave"...and it will pass. But I will get them an inexpensive setup anyway and see how they like it.

Nice, it's something about bow and arrows that intrigue kids. Who didn't want one when they were young?

What are your thoughts on a take down recurve?

My Compound bow was just shipped out today and UPS states I should get it next Monday. Exciting getting into something new lol

I don't have any experience with these but have been debating a barnett 150. My older brother has a compound bow(don't ask me the brand, he lives out of state) that he absolutely loves. I've also wanted to go boar hunting. I've never been any kind of hunting before tho so I might want to start with deer.

Nice, it's something about bow and arrows that intrigue kids. Who didn't want one when they were young?

What are your thoughts on a take down recurve?

My Compound bow was just shipped out today and UPS states I should get it next Monday. Exciting getting into something new lol

Can't wait to see pics of your compound. As far as the take-down recurve, I think it is a good idea as I have heard (have not verified) that you can upgrade the weight without buying a complete new bow.

I don't have any experience with these but have been debating a barnett 150. My older brother has a compound bow(don't ask me the brand, he lives out of state) that he absolutely loves. I've also wanted to go boar hunting. I've never been any kind of hunting before tho so I might want to start with deer.

I want to get a boar as well. In my head, they are almost the perfect game animal, prolific, good-eating, and dangerous as well.

Wife is getting me a crossbow for our 10th wedding anniversary (which was a few months ago). Probably won't actually buy it 'til after the family vacation, though.

I'm leaning toward the Barnett Penetrator ...

barnett%20penetrator%20crossbow%20package%20499.99.jpg

... though I'm certainly open to suggestions if anybody knows something I don't. I played with one at a local Bass Pro. Hefty weapon. Apparently good for both medium and large game ... though I'm not really a hunter.

Thought about the Horton Scout HD 125 -- which is the original Daryl Dixon crossbow -- but apparently its a rather small youth crossbow. Not quite powerful enough for my tastes. Dixon's new crossbow is a Stryker Strykezone 380 ...

S7_419701_999_04.jpg

Looks rather badass.

SnakeDoc

What is the minimum pounds for a cross bow to take down a deer? Here in Hawaii you need a licence to hunt with a cross bow, I believe for someone who is handicap with regular bows.

Can't wait to see pics of your compound. As far as the take-down recurve, I think it is a good idea as I have heard (have not verified) that you can upgrade the weight without buying a complete new bow.

I want to get a boar as well. In my head, they are almost the perfect game animal, prolific, good-eating, and dangerous as well.

Last time I shot a recurve was in high school over a decade ago, I need to do my home work and check some out.

Yeah, my friend told me about a small boar that killed one of his hunting dog and they even attack you at times.

Wife is getting me a crossbow for our 10th wedding anniversary (which was a few months ago). Probably won't actually buy it 'til after the family vacation, though.

I'm leaning toward the Barnett Penetrator ...

barnett%20penetrator%20crossbow%20package%20499.99.jpg

... though I'm certainly open to suggestions if anybody knows something I don't. I played with one at a local Bass Pro. Hefty weapon. Apparently good for both medium and large game ... though I'm not really a hunter.

Thought about the Horton Scout HD 125 -- which is the original Daryl Dixon crossbow -- but apparently its a rather small youth crossbow. Not quite powerful enough for my tastes. Dixon's new crossbow is a Stryker Strykezone 380 ...

S7_419701_999_04.jpg

Looks rather badass.

SnakeDoc

I actually ordered Horton Scout HD 125 when it was in stock months ago, but canelled the next day because its pricey comparing to other cross bows with same quality.

I just sold my PSE Brute X and bought a Hoyt Carbon Element

Do you hunt or just for target? Love to see some pictures.

My compound bow is expected to arrive today, exciting. I checked out one of my local archery range this weekend and they got the place set up with animal targets like you are in their environment. Pretty cool.

Since sports authority has a 20% off coupon I have my eyes set on the PSE Copperhead crossbow they have. Anyone experienced with it or know of any who has?

Now THAT is freakin' sweet! I just had a buddy give ma a catalogue from an outfit that he has been using and swears by. I may be getting my bow a little sooner than later.:)

Now THAT is freakin' sweet! I just had a buddy give ma a catalogue from an outfit that he has been using and swears by. I may be getting my bow a little sooner than later.:)

Thanks! Yeah happy I got the skullworks color. So did you decide what bow you are getting?

Don't know much about bows or archery in general but I have been wanting a nice, inexpensive take-down bow for a bug out bag. I've been eying the Spectre take-down survival bow but most reviews seem to be pretty mixed.

Don't know much about bows or archery in general but I have been wanting a nice, inexpensive take-down bow for a bug out bag. I've been eying the Spectre take-down survival bow but most reviews seem to be pretty mixed.

Check out the Martin Jaguar TD bow. It's about $150 shipped for just the bow or $210 shipped for the starter kit. Could be found on amazon. I got my eyes set on that.

Check out the Martin Jaguar TD bow. It's about $150 shipped for just the bow or $210 shipped for the starter kit. Could be found on amazon. I got my eyes set on that.

I was looking at that one too but again it has a lot of mixed reviews. I've read a lot of reports about the limbs becoming de-laminated. The Spectre is under $100 but again it's also made of PVC so I'm not sure about it either. That being said I would love to give both of them a try one of these days.

I have a Horton Scout 125 and I just got a Strykezone 380 a couple days ago. Wish the rain would stop!

Back