Premium Format Aquaman - Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Aquaman - Premium Format DC Comics - SSC

This article got me to dig the Aquaman thing.

Jason Momoa’s ‘Aquaman’ Armor & Tattoos Explained

I do recommend it. It's a solid read.

...So I'm reading the article and I got a little confused. They don't really refer to Aquaman as an Atlantean. So the question is are they completely changing his origin for these films saying he's Polynesian and gained his powers through the Trident or are they going to tie polynesian people into Atlanteans?

...So I'm reading the article and I got a little confused. They don't really refer to Aquaman as an Atlantean. So the question is are they completely changing his origin for these films saying he's Polynesian and gained his powers through the Trident or are they going to tie polynesian people into Atlanteans?

I'm glad I don't read comic so deeply. I imagine I sleep better than many of the members here on the forum who wrestle with origin stories and inaccuracies. :rotfl

I'm glad I don't read comic so deeply. I imagine I sleep better than many of the members here on the forum who wrestle with origin stories and inaccuracies. :rotfl

Well this is the first time I've ever seen a characters origin redacted because of the choice of actor. We want Jason Momoa to be Aquaman, and since he's an actor, his job is to pretend to be something he's not, we're going to tailor Aquaman to his own personal history.....right....okay.

Well this is the first time I've ever seen a characters origin redacted because of the choice of actor. We want Jason Momoa to be Aquaman, and since he's an actor, his job is to pretend to be something he's not, we're going to tailor Aquaman to his own personal history.....right....okay.

It will be interesting to see how it unfolds if they even mention it all.

What I got, is that it's a bit of both. He is Atlantean, but the purpose of the Polynesian background is to sort of have the connection to those that worship the sea. so that he can feel related at any point to any one. That's why they mentioned the armors and tat have a form of historical and symbolic point to them. Not just stuff they threw on him. Probably doesn't make sense, but it's interesting. I'd still have like the son of a lighthouse keeper IMO.

What I got, is that it's a bit of both. He is Atlantean, but the purpose of the Polynesian background is to sort of have the connection to those that worship the sea. so that he can feel related at any point to any one. That's why they mentioned the armors and tat have a form of historical and symbolic point to them. Not just stuff they threw on him. Probably doesn't make sense, but it's interesting. I'd still have like the son of a lighthouse keeper IMO.

Yeah but they obviously have to toss out the whole, "Abandoned by the people of Atlantis because he was born with Blonde hair"

Yeah but they obviously have to toss out the whole, "Abandoned by the people of Atlantis because he was born with Blonde hair"

Yeah that too, but it easily builds more for the family feud between him and Orm. I just really liked Johns point of Aquaman, that it's almost perfect (to me at least).

DC will probably switch the characters up for no reason. Mamoa is a brunette Aquaman that looks like a villain so Orm will now be blonde and look like everyone expected Aquaman to look. Genius!

My guess is that they tailor the characters to the actors at this point in DC. I know Ben and Henry knew how ripped their guys are, and so that's why they hit it to look like them. Gal, I'm guessing has something that directors saw, cause she doesn't strike me as the amazon badass. Momoa's look for Aquaman definitely is tailored. I'm willing to be the Joker for Suicide Squad will have a bun and long hair because of Leto.

I'll give DC a try, just wish they did what they do on shows, on the big screen. Grant Gustin is Flash not Ezra Miller. :slap

I think a lot of Marvels recent success in films is how closely they've stuck with character origins and stories. Sure they change things in order to follow continuity but they have stayed true to the characters essence. There's a reason these characters are timeless. DC doesn't seem to get that from what I've been seeing.

I think Mamoa makes a bad ass looking Aquaman.... The only people who are going to complain are Hard Core Comic Book fans which is a minority when you compare it to all the people who see these films...

Besides I've already read all the stories in comics why would you want to see them again on the big screen, I prefer something new and different...

I think Mamoa makes a bad ass looking Aquaman.... The only people who are going to complain are Hard Core Comic Book fans which is a minority when you compare it to all the people who see these films...

Besides I've already read all the stories in comics why would you want to see them again on the big screen, I prefer something new and different...

Has nothing to do with the stories in the comics and everything to do with the Essence of the character. If you change the Essence of the character then the only thing you left is a name and he doesn't represent what people love and therefore There's No Reason To Watch.

Has nothing to do with the stories in the comics and everything to do with the Essence of the character. If you change the Essence of the character then the only thing you left is a name and he doesn't represent what people love and therefore There's No Reason To Watch.

So changing the skin color of a character destroys the essence of the character? hogwash :)

I'll hold my final judgement until after I see the movie....

So changing the skin color of a character destroys the essence of the character? hogwash :)

I'll hold my final judgement until after I see the movie....

No, we were talking about his entire origin possibly being changed, he's link to the Atlanteans, how he got hes powers and where he is from. If that all changes it doesn't matter what color his skin is because he'll be Aquaman in name only.

No, we were talking about his entire origin possibly being changed, he's link to the Atlanteans, how he got hes powers and where he is from. If that all changes it doesn't matter what color his skin is because he'll be Aquaman in name only.

Where did you read they were changing his back story?

Back