Any on you out there collect screen used props?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harajuku

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hi!

I have been collecting statues and figure for quite a short period but have gotten a few in a short period of time. Before that I was mainly collecting screen used props but that is another level when it comes to price so it's hard to get the real premium pieces out there. Any other here who cellect props?

I have also put up a short clip of my screen used armor from the 2001 Planet of the apes movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5tf7DCBowo

I thought about it, but the good screen used Star Wars props and studio scales (the only ones I'd be interested in) are way above my budget. And I'm simply not interested in smaller screen used things like a Death Star panel, a hair from Yoda/Chewie, a piece of cloth etc., they are nice but don't have the wow factor for me, and thus won't spend any money on them.

Not really because of the reasons JKNO said mostly. I do have some stage used items from Broadway Spider-man :lol

I do like there to be a lineage with the sculpt though... for example the Legacy stuff that Sideshow does, cast from original prop or molds, or getting Stormtrooper Armor made by the same guy that made it in the movie.

I hear you. Star Wars is probably the most expensive thing you can collect when it comes to screen used stuff so I agree with you. I got into it through Blade which is both an iconic movie series for me but also not astronomically expensive.

I thought about it, but the good screen used Star Wars props and studio scales (the only ones I'd be interested in) are way above my budget. And I'm simply not interested in smaller screen used things like a Death Star panel, a hair from Yoda/Chewie, a piece of cloth etc., they are nice but don't have the wow factor for me, and thus won't spend any money on them.

Hehe yeah some stuff are also totally out of my pricerange aswell. That's also why I started collecting Statues. It was an cheaper alternative to get "iconic" pieces from the bigger movies.

Not really because of the reasons JKNO said mostly. I do have some stage used items from Broadway Spider-man :lol

I do like there to be a lineage with the sculpt though... for example the Legacy stuff that Sideshow does, cast from original prop or molds, or getting Stormtrooper Armor made by the same guy that made it in the movie.

I have a studio scale model replica from Star Wars, and it satisfies me to know that's what I saw on screen. It would be very cool to have something that was actually used for filming, but too expensive for me.

There are man cool movies and series that had auctions of original screen used props and they sold for ok prices, one of those I remember was Stargate. Even I could have gotten many items, but as I said SW is my main thing, so that is it. Still I always look and admire screen used props because they have history behind and the true talent the artists put in them.

This is my screen used Death Star prop....I wish :wink1:. I was able to snap this pic of it at the Seattle Sci Fi Museum though when the guard wasn't looking. I think it's 36" diameter. Haven't seen many pics of this, so I thought I'd share. This is one of the coolest SW props IMO. It looks so beat up too, like it's been rolling around on the floor. :horror

The original screen used Death Star was left in garbage and a guy has it now at his home restored - this might be his.

https://www.oocities.org/starwarstrader_nz/props.html

From the original Star Wars "A New Hope" 1977, the DeathStar..
This amazing piece of history has an interesting story behind it.

ANH Original DeathStar Prop 1977
Click to Enlarge

One day Todd Franklin spotted what seemed to be a large prop model of the
DeathStar, a couple had owned a storage facility in California and when they
moved out to Missouri the movers had accidentally packed it up with their other
items. It was left outside and exposed to the elements, but remarkably still in
good condition. Todd talked to a person at Lucasfilm about what he had seen,
employee Judy Niles convinced him that the original was blown up and that the
one he had found was probably fan made. He didn't quiet believe the story and
a few years later Todd met Marc Thorpe who was working for ILM as a model
maker, he described to Marc how the prop looked and that he believed that it
was the real thing. Marc concluded that Judy Niles may have been incorrect
but unfortunately Todd had missed out on buying it for himself. It was purchased
by a local store owner and years later Tim Williams noticed that the store had
gone out of business. Figuring there may be second chance to purchase the
Death Star, Todd and his friends decided to pool their funds and finally buy
this amazing prop. Now when a light is placed inside the model, it lights up with
the same detail that everyone remembers from "A New Hope". The original
main dish was however missing, perhaps thrown away by janitors when it was
in the lobby of a music show well before Todd managed to acquire it. A truly
remarkable find and definitely one collectable prop item that's hard to beat.

deathstar_prop.jpgDeathStar.jpg

And

https://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=47464

An Interview With Star Wars Collector Gus Lopez

Thanks for all the links and info jkno. Yes it seems these are one in the same. He must have sold it/loaned it to the museum. Here's a site where they talk about the same thing: https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/22516

Jasen called our attention to another favorite Star Wars exhibit: the only 3-D model of the Death Star made for the original 1977 movie. "This got thrown out," he said. "Someone was using it in their store as a trash can." According to the display, the lighted windows in the Death Star were created "by scratching holes in the painted surface and placing a light bulb inside." - See more at: https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/22516#sthash.PxXjp1aO.dpuf

The other thing that was really upsetting is when I visited the museum in 2008 I think, they had the original Alien Queen but the exhibit was still being built so I couldn't see it. :(

I do. I used to be a huge Sideshow collector, but moved on to collecting screen used pieces almost exclusively. I only have 1 Sideshow piece left. (Dark Rider PF).

I have 6 screen used pieces, including 2 from Star Wars.

From Episode 1 I have a Naboo Blaster and from Episode III I have Mace Windu's lightsaber.

To me, I'd rather own a few screen used pieces than a bunch of different replicas. I got a custom display made for Mace's saber and everyone always wants to see it when they come over. I'll post some pics of my 6 pieces soon.

A few of my pieces:
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 63
Yeah I have the Hero flash bang used in the 3D Dredd film Urban used to clear out the path to med bay.
You twist it to light up the LED. Got it from Propstore of London when they sold all the outfits etc.
image.jpg

I mostly read the auction catalogues of real movie props and realized that it is do able, but I also would need to require more money. I once saw one of the Batman Returns costumes being auction with a starting price of 50,000usd, but sold for 65,000 and I personally thought it would go much higher, but since I don't have that kind of money one can only dream. But I would be interested in James Bond props though...

Very nice props there! :clap

The only things I'd be interested from Star Wars (and I'd only be interested in Star Wars Original Trilogy Imperials stuff) would be some big items like: Stormtrooper helmet, Vader helmet, Snowtrooper, AT-AT Driver (I know the owner but he won't sell :p), TIE Pilot or Scout helmets, AT-AT studio scale (and not the tiny one), AT-ST model, TIE Fighters (any and all of them), Star Destroyer, Tyderium, Probot, maybe some Imperial blasters too (but they are another story, since many E-11 got refurbished after SW filming was over, and my Sterling conversion is now more accurate than Prop Store screen used blasters). As you can see these are big props that cost a ton, and some are not even for sale

I have several from Battlestar Galactica and 1 from The X-Files and a couple of other TV shows.

I was really into prop collecting for a few years, but I've gone off it now. Much of it is very expensive if you want the good stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have several from Battlestar Galactica and 1 from The X-Files and a couple of other TV shows.

I was really into prop collecting for a few years, but I've gone off it now. Much of it is very expensive if you want the good stuff.

We're in the same boat! I've got some stuff from Buffy, Angel, and Dollhouse. :rock :rock :rock

We're in the same boat! I've got some stuff from Buffy, Angel, and Dollhouse. :rock :rock :rock

Ugh, I remember when that Buffy stuff went up for auction years ago, but I never had the money at the time to spend on that stuff. I wasn't collecting anything back at that time of my life.

What's your favourite prop?
Mine is my Scully FBI lanyard that Gillian used to own and donated to charity, she signed the back of it as well.

I'd like to start but I just can't find anything I like in my price range. Most Star Wars stuff is out of the question price wise but I have seen some Pirates of the Caribbean items for decent prices but its just set dressing or a "random" sword and if I am going to get something I'd like to get something I can screen match... maybe someday.

Last edited:
Ugh, I remember when that Buffy stuff went up for auction years ago, but I never had the money at the time to spend on that stuff. I wasn't collecting anything back at that time of my life.

What's your favourite prop?
Mine is my Scully FBI lanyard that Gillian used to own and donated to charity, she signed the back of it as well.

That Scully prop sounds awesome!! :rock And that's what I like: Props that stand out or mean something. That means something. :rock

Yeah, that's when I got my Buffy and Angel props - but there was SO much more that I wanted - the thing that I didn't go for and will never forget is an Angel prop - it was pieces of the Nyazian scrolls - the ones that talked about Connor, etc. etc. I was looking for one particular piece of the scroll however that was used in a particular scene. Long story short, I only wanted one....Well, they never had the one I wanted and I ended passing on them because I was certain the one I wanted would be show up. Never did. :(

I got my Dollhouse stuff from the same auctioneer.

My most prized pieces are the poems that William wrote in "Fool for Love" - meant a lot for me because it's one of my favorites episodes and (basically) the poems are why Spike got his name famous nickname.

IMG_4998.jpg

(I PS'd this photo awhile ago to prevent copies, etc. - so ignore the squares.)

My Dollhouse prop though is pretty cool (arguably means more) - it's the hard drive that they used that carried Carolyn's (Duskhu's) memories before she became Echo - pretty much what she was trying to get back for the entire show.

Angel props are less stellar - but still cool. I've got one of Gunn's jean jackets and few other items from the wardrobe dept.

Back