ANH Han Solo - Official picture thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However sometimes a sculpt is unquestionable like Old Ben, Gandalf, BR Joker and the amazing new Arnie as Dutch from PREDATOR sculpt.

Also goes to show how big paint makes a difference, as all of those received paint apps that support their appearance. Granted we've seen Old Ben and Gandalf as raw sculpts too and they looked great, but it takes a good paint job to really make it clear how good the sculpt is because of the relationship. The best paint in the world won't matter if the sculpt's off, and the best sculpt won't look good if the paint's off. I'd love to see ANH Han and Luke painted and photographed by Hot Toys just to see what difference proper paint jobs do. As much as Han and Luke aren't the worst paint apps, they're not such that they aid in making the portrait look like the actors, they're just well applied generic apps, one area where Hot Toys excels, they give their figures paint that matches in capturing the likenesses.

Its a matter of opinion so how can he be wrong?

I myself am amazed that people can't see that both ANH Han and Luke are the greatest likenesses ever produced of those actors too, but what can you do?

You can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink. :lecture

True Pix but aside from the paint issues with these figures which I can agree with...the actual raw sculpt(s) are solid! Does it have the hyper realistic skin texture of a Hot Toys figure (which is awesome btw) no, but anyone who knows those actors from that specific movie would agree that these two sculpts have uncanny likenesses! Whew! But really Pix is the Cap actually wrong, that is subjective but to me, yes he is dead wrong. You're right about the horse analogy but a horse isn't as smart as a human. Make a bottle of glue outta him. :lecture :D

Also goes to show how big paint makes a difference, as all of those received paint apps that support their appearance. Granted we've seen Old Ben and Gandalf as raw sculpts too and they looked great, but it takes a good paint job to really make it clear how good the sculpt is because of the relationship. The best paint in the world won't matter if the sculpt's off, and the best sculpt won't look good if the paint's off. I'd love to see ANH Han and Luke painted and photographed by Hot Toys just to see what difference proper paint jobs do. As much as Han and Luke aren't the worst paint apps, they're not such that they aid in making the portrait look like the actors, they're just well applied generic apps, one area where Hot Toys excels, they give their figures paint that matches in capturing the likenesses.
Did you go back far enough to see this MF..?

trevorquigonhancrop3.jpg

Me too. In fact, I had ANH on pre-order WAY back and I was thinking about cancelling when the raw sculpt pics came out and I quickly put the idea out of my head. Then the production shots came out and I thought about cancelling again. Then DarkArtist posted his first ANH Han re-paint and I knew what I had to do...

I thought that Josh's repaint of my Han alongside the raw sculpt from Trevor's site emphasized your point about the RIGHT paint apps on the RIGHT sculpt...

quigonhanbencrop4.jpg

Well Trev's raw shots also show sculpts need to be properly lit to show them off, some portraits just don't look right unless they're lit such that the defining forms show properly.

I might have at one time, but in my current collecting budget, every penny counts, the price to get the belts for a look I dont' care too much about just doesn't fit in anymore.

Anybody else going rush toy anxiety for trooper belts when they part it out?

I picked up a loose Clone-Obi belt with that same idea. It's not the same belt but pretty close. After displaying him for a while that way, I went back to his leather holster. He just looks better (to me) with his classic look.

But it will offer a cool change from time to time.

mhmm i got one today guys ... but the regular hangar-shoot-out blaster doesnt fit in his holster, is that correct?

would like to pose him a bit like the 1/4 premium solo ;)

That's really a beautiful repaint. The sculpt itself is highly underrated although it catches a lot of flak for the factory paint apps. This repaint really brings out the stellar sculpting job Trevor did. :rock

That's really a beautiful repaint. The sculpt itself is highly underrated although it catches a lot of flak for the factory paint apps. This repaint really brings out the stellar sculpting job Trevor did. :rock

Could not agree more. If Trev and Josh (DarkArtist81) ever joined forces in a formal way and could get the licenses required, that would be a heck of a day... I really appreciate the comments, Mando!

I completely agree. also had mine repainted and its one of my fav pieces in the collection....the sculpt is dead on.....just lacking in the original paint apps. Great repaint there.

Based on the in progress shots I've seen of yours, OTM, you're goning to be obsessed with posting pics of yours too. Can't wait for you to join me in the illness...

My only complaint is how the eyebrows are painted on the figure. Looks silly. That repaint looks wonderful though.

Just a few more for the road. I think I've done all I can photographically with the piece until I have some other characters to pose him with (other than Koto Chewy here:

QuiGonHanShoot4.jpg

QuiGonHanShoot5.jpg

QuiGonHanShoot6.jpg

Back