ANH Buckets

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally started work on one. More priming and sanding left to do, this was only a quick pass.

My Foredom made short work of the larger regions of resin flash.

It’s ambitious but I’d like to get this finished by end of day tomorrow if possible.

Waiting for primer to cure is like...well, like watching paint dry.

da9d751b13215c8df80c287b9839b2ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi ZE_501, how's your progress coming along?
Thanks again for helping me out, i've not made a start on it yet...though i should have cause had lots of free time recently.
Really are an authentic likeness to the onscreen New Hope helmets.

I remember he was having issues with his health and then had some problems with the guy making the casts, then he just started doing them himself - suddenly nothing. He was a good guy and I would think he would chime in periodically (like he kinda was way back then) but this extra long absence makes me a bit concerned about his health condition. I hope he is doing ok.

Hi ZE_501, how's your progress coming along?
Thanks again for helping me out, i've not made a start on it yet...though i should have cause had lots of free time recently.
Really are an authentic likeness to the onscreen New Hope helmets.

Hey man, I haven't touched this project. :rotfl

I have a ton of time lately but it's been going to other things. No worries on the assist.

In terms of reproducing these...

If I could figure out casting at home, I have a master copy of the original 3D print. My issue before was time, but now it's money -- with my income destroyed by the 'VID I won't be in a position to spend money on casting equipment until I'm back at work.

Too Much Garlic has a beautiful model of a Stormtrooper bucket as well that if it reaches production, will be sharper and better than this one, but he's a ways out from that and last I checked, focused on finishing the Vader helmet.

And yes...I recall William's health issues and really hope they didn't get the better of him, but he's been incommunicado for a very long time.

Based on the single helmet I got from Solo_Bones, these would really need to be cleaned up quite a bit before you'd want to be mass producing them. My helmet was a ton of work with sandpaper and scalpel and I finally gave up and just painted it.

If someone could take the great stunt helmet shape and produce a smoothly finished and painted/decaled item, people would pay $$$ for it. These things are a total pain in the *** to sand, paint and decal. How people have multiples I have no idea.:lol

:lecture this true.
Also being most of my collection are troopers and seeing their glossy white finish makes my need (and OCD) to match that 99%. I toned that down some considering the hours upon hours of sanding, puttying, sanding again - then repeating that process several times :gah: I had to take 6 months off before a 2nd and final round :lol

Edit: Well worth it in the end but i do not wish that upon anyone hehe.

Does anyone have the helmet file? I could make a plate of these things on my Peopoly Phenom.

The maker was a dude on Shapeways who has long since gone AWOL along with his amazing file. I don't know if he actually got a cease and desist and pulled it, or what.

Based on the single helmet I got from Solo_Bones, these would really need to be cleaned up quite a bit before you'd want to be mass producing them. My helmet was a ton of work with sandpaper and scalpel and I finally gave up and just painted it.

If someone could take the great stunt helmet shape and produce a smoothly finished and painted/decaled item, people would pay $$$ for it. These things are a total pain in the *** to sand, paint and decal. How people have multiples I have no idea.:lol

Well yes and no. I have a couple from Solo and yes, everything you say applies to the casts they were able to produce, one reason I don't sit down and tackle the damn things, it's gonna be a beast of a chore.

The original print from Shapeways is much cleaner. The only flaw I can see is that the resolution and scale of the ridges on the ear pieces are such that there's no way you're going to get a sharp cast of those ... not a big deal in 1/6 but still.

What I'm curious about is whether I can get better casts of that 3D printed helmet. I know a couple of physical FX guys but that's neither here nor there right now, with social distancing *and* lack of equipment.

I made a start on my ANH Bucket tonight. In the early stages with the prep work filling/sanding and cutting out the head opening and eye lenses.
Also managed to get a first coat of primer applied.

IMG_2655.JPG
IMG_2651.JPG
713C1AA7-1DC3-4C2D-981F-7229D5EA299A.jpg
IMG_2667.JPG

Moved onto the first two coats of paint today. Couple of areas I was gonna re fill/sand then decided the originals should look a little beat up for that authentic as seen on screen look. (Or I?m just lazy)

IMG_2697.JPG

Does anyone have the helmet file? I could make a plate of these things on my Peopoly Phenom.

I have the file because I bought it from the original owner and got permission from the other owner as well to make these helmets available soon. The one posting it online was not the owner.

I have the file because I bought it from the original owner and got permission from the other owner as well to make these helmets available soon. The one posting it online was not the owner.

Oh wow...mystery solved. There were 2 files, did you get the slightly larger one?

Oh wow...mystery solved. There were 2 files, did you get the slightly larger one?

There really isn't any mystery. I did not ask the uploader - who is not the owner - to remove the file, nor did I try to stop Solo_bones' run, even though I had bought the original file and gotten permission to use it by both owners.

And there is only 1 file. The slightly larger one is not original and was only something Solo_bones did for his run.

There really isn't any mystery. I did not ask the uploader - who is not the owner - to remove the file, nor did I try to stop Solo_bones' run, even though I had bought the original file and gotten permission to use it by both owners.

And there is only 1 file. The slightly larger one is not original and was only something Solo_bones did for his run.

To clarify -- I wasn't referring to you in connection with any 'mystery' -- I was just wondering what happened to the Shapeways guy and if anyone knew what happened to the file.

I didn't think you made any requests to cease or remove anything re: the uploader, the owner or Will's run.

Regarding the larger file I'm referring to: when I spoke with the uploader, Will had already requested a larger version for his run and that's actually the version of the 3D print that I got along with the original smaller one; so maybe I'm misunderstanding you but I definitely got a larger version along with the original. Still have the larger print, actually.

If it was on Shapeways you can sometimes request different sizes for your prints.

I know and occasionally talk with the uploader. He's a cool guy.

If it was on Shapeways you can sometimes request different sizes for your prints.

I know and occasionally talk with the uploader. He's a cool guy.

Right, it's been a while but I think he had the size Will requested on hand at the time. I remember him being super helpful!

Back