All Time Favorite Directors

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
uwe21.jpg

Alejandro Jodorowsky
Pier Paolo Pasolini
Andrei Tarkovsky
Stanley Kubrick
Akira Kurosawa
Rainer Werner Fassbinder
Paul Verhoeven
Mamoru Oshii

Ridley Scott (early filmography)
James Cameron (early filmography)

In that order. Honestly, there's so many great directors over the last century or so of film, that list could change based on entirely on my mood or the weather. Just ten doesn't cut it. Lucas almost made it on there for the original Star Wars films and THX-1138, but then I remembered the Special Editions and all the bad bits of the prequels :ohbfrank:

Jodorowsky getting the top spot is biased, I love his films but his comics especially have been a huge influence on me.

Edit:

John Carpenter

Not sure where I'd slot him into the list but I love everything about his 70's and 80's output.

1. Alfred Hitchcock

2. Orson Welles

3. Frank Capra

4. Roman Polanksi

5. Francis Ford Coppola

6. Matin Scorsese

7. Christopher Nolan

8. Brad Bird

I like a lot of different movies, but those are the only directors that get me interested to check out a movie. I have to think about it more! :)

Love Peter Weir, he nails it every time. Master and Commander is one of my all-time favourite films :)

:hi5:I LOVE Master and Commander! Fantastic film (one of my favourites as well) and I really wish they could have done a series.

If you asked me this question when I was growing up, I would have said Spielberg, hands down, with no other director coming close. His early movies are fantastic and among my all time favourites (CE3K, Raiders). But by the mid/late 80s and going forward, I started to get really disappointed with his movies. I haven't liked any of his movies nearly as much as the early ones. Minority Report and War of the Worlds and even Munich gave me hope that he was back on track, but then he did Tin Tin and War Horse...

Great clip, and Kudos to Gilliam for speaking out against Spielberg!

So in no particular order:

Spielberg (early)

Ridley Scott (also early works, as he's been very hit or miss for many years now)

David Fincher (I can count on him for a solid movie every time, with stunningly beautiful cinematography)

Chris Nolan (same-ish)

Jon Favreau (same, but more standard fare)

Honorable mention:

Marc Forster - He has done some so-so movies, but for the most part they are solid and I also love his collaborations with MK12. It's someone I keep my eye out for.

There are also a couple of directors that have directed some of my favourite movies, but I don't necessarily enjoy much of the rest of their filmography. For instance, Atonement by Joe Wright is one of my all time favourite movies, but I don't really like his other movies (maybe Pride and Prejudice). I also love Amelie, and I think Jean Pierre Jenuet is generally a great director, but again I don't enjoy his other movies nearly as much.

I don't want to get chastised for not including Kubrik or Kurisawa or Scorsese. They are undoubtedly great directors and I can appreciate their movies for being timeless works of cinematic art. But I personally don't enjoy their movies at the same level that I do the other directors.

I don't really have a favorite director.

Just saw that movie for the first time last night. Suffice it to say, I'll never see movies the same way again.

NKrJeF8.gif

Yea it's on my watch list. Just waiting for the right time to sit down and enjoy it's awesomeness.

:lecture

Huge success = automatic disqualification

Regardless of how much I hate where he took his career, there's no denying how much of an extraordinary director he's been.

Just look at the guy's resume, it speaks for itself. From Terminator onward, it's hit after hit.

Regardless of how much I hate where he took his career, there's no denying how much of an extraordinary director he's been.

Just look at the guy's resume, it speaks for itself. From Terminator onward, it's hit after hit.

A few ok movies doesn't make him a good director.

Back