All Things Robocop

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The NECA guy that posted a few times in this thread said that he felt their Robo was an improvement over the McF in every way except the legs. He said the McF legs looked better for some reason.

The heck? Seriously? I'll acknowledge NECA superiority in some sculpting (not all), but the paint is crap.

I put my NECA next to my McFarlane Robo last night. If I could only choose to keep one, it'd be the McFarlane figure easily.

First, paint aps. The McFarlane figure was the clear winner with shiny, bright paint with lots of purple and blue hues to reflect the original armor. The NECA figrue had flat mostly silver armor and little mistake blobs all over it. I flipped through 6 figures at the store before I found one that was passable. Paint apps are just terrible on the NECA figure...this alone gives it a failing grade.

Second (which I agree with the NECA fan on) is that the NECA's legs are too skinny. This is from his thighs all the way down and including his feet. Wrists (like the legs) are also too thin, giving the figure Popeye forearms that don't look like the gauntlet from the movie.

Finally, sculpt definitely isn't Weller...looks more like Mick Jagger or something under the helmet. The McFarlane isn't perfect either in this regards, but at least it looks more generic rather than a saggy old guy.

There are a couple things that the NECA did get better - the torso and neck ball articulation is tons better than the cut joints McFarlane did. The chest and upper arm armor sculpts are better and more crisp than the McF. The NECA figure also doesn't have the big black pin cutout on the side of the knees like the McFarlane.

One other untested thing...the NECA figure probably has better durability :) McFarlane figures I've owned were horrible at was durability. My McF Robo has had his right hip and right shoulder replaced after the originals broke. Time will have to tell on the NECA.

Well the MGM Promo poster said that Hot toys was going to release some thing Fall of 2011 for Robocop.

I just hope it is new stuff and not a re-release of the old Robocop line they did before.

Grabbed NECA's Robocop and Classic Predator at TRU the other day. The articulation on Robo is probably the best so far in this scale, but the paint deco leaves a LOT to be desired. Out of seven figures, I grabbed the best one, and it has a fair share of flaws. The right end of the visor is actually missing black paint!

Still, for $17 after tax, I'm satisfied with it. As for the mouth sculpt and body proportions, bear in mind that no company has ever produced a 100% accurate Robo. Hot Toys came close, but even their figure had issues.

Haven't had time to take many pictures, but here's one I did of Robo and the Predator while goofing around.

predroboNECA_comp01.jpg

The heck? Seriously? I'll acknowledge NECA superiority in some sculpting (not all), but the paint is crap.

I put my NECA next to my McFarlane Robo last night. If I could only choose to keep one, it'd be the McFarlane figure easily.

First, paint aps. The McFarlane figure was the clear winner with shiny, bright paint with lots of purple and blue hues to reflect the original armor. The NECA figrue had flat mostly silver armor and little mistake blobs all over it. I flipped through 6 figures at the store before I found one that was passable. Paint apps are just terrible on the NECA figure...this alone gives it a failing grade.

Second (which I agree with the NECA fan on) is that the NECA's legs are too skinny. This is from his thighs all the way down and including his feet. Wrists (like the legs) are also too thin, giving the figure Popeye forearms that don't look like the gauntlet from the movie.

Finally, sculpt definitely isn't Weller...looks more like Mick Jagger or something under the helmet. The McFarlane isn't perfect either in this regards, but at least it looks more generic rather than a saggy old guy.

There are a couple things that the NECA did get better - the torso and neck ball articulation is tons better than the cut joints McFarlane did. The chest and upper arm armor sculpts are better and more crisp than the McF. The NECA figure also doesn't have the big black pin cutout on the side of the knees like the McFarlane.

One other untested thing...the NECA figure probably has better durability :) McFarlane figures I've owned were horrible at was durability. My McF Robo has had his right hip and right shoulder replaced after the originals broke. Time will have to tell on the NECA.

The McF kinda sucks, hate that sculpted fist too..can't get it in a cool pose, leg joint is brittle and broke at the hip, far from being movie accurate as well.

The Neca sculpt overall is better, don't care if the paint application was executed better on the McF, they both suffer from having a non movie accurate paint job anyway.

Just watched Robocop today, great movie... But I kinda hope they remake it. I loved how raw/graphic it was, but the stop motion animation for the ED-209? was very jarring and always took me out of the story/movie.

Just watched Robocop today, great movie... But I kinda hope they remake it. I loved how raw/graphic it was, but the stop motion animation for the ED-209? was very jarring and always took me out of the story/movie.

It doesn't need a remake. IT is perfect the way it is. Remake it because of the stop motion? Seriously?

They will NEVER be able to match the first Robocop. No one does brutal sci-fi movies like Paul Verhoeven.

That's too bad you feel that way. I have never gotten pulled out of a movie because the effects weren't realistic. Effects in my opinion should always supplement a film, not dominate. What pulls me out of a movie foremost is of if the script is weak, and secondarily if the editing and acting are weak.

In the past it seemed as if a script was written, and then effects were built around it. Nowadays, if feels as if an effect is created, and a script is written around it (poorly in most cases) - Transformers 2 comes to mind.

This figure is going to ____in rule, look at the poseability on this guy.

1.jpg

Did NECA release a battle-damaged version of Robocop?
Because I swear, the 4 at TRU looked like they've been through a war! Sloppy paint, scratches, helmets not set properly. I didn't even bother buying one.
However, amazingly enough, NECA's "A Nightmare on Elm St." Freddy looked so well painted (even down to his teeth) I purchased one.
It's like 2 different companies produce these figures. Unreal.

Sounds like NECA alright. The figures I care about seem to be getting the worst paint and QC while something I'm completely indifferent towards like Freddy apparently gets top notch treatment. Hurrayyyyy!

Yup its like 5 inches or something. The line of figures are called Figmas. The quality is always top notch though.

I posted some pictures of my Hot Toys Robocop (Robocop 3 version) that I took recently but they are still awaiting Moderation bah.
Guess they've been lost in the twilight zone now cuz it was ages ago. Thought I'd share the love. Please Hot Toys I beg you to revisit Robocop (as it's been hinted at)

Robocop+07.jpg

Robocop+01.jpg

Robocop+04.jpg

Robocop+09.jpg

Been a while since I looked at my Hot Toys Robo actually. Must give him a gander. Yeah, hoping for a redo at todays standards. with more accurate head/body proportions.

Back