Statue Alien: Big Chap Legendary Scale Bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually im pretty sure i posted it arrived at my job and upon a quick glance there was no broken tendons or immediate damage. But once home ill inspect further... Collector col. And guess what after giving it a better look out of the plastic covering the base ot was immediately clear the base is not clear coated... The tubing on one side of the head is only glued halfway through... Theres what appears to be stress cracks on the dome visible under lighting. Overspray completely covering the underside of the dome in the back. Globs of glue that are holding the dome on... The list goes on ... Shall i continue collectorcol ?? Whats immediately visible is completely different from whats found on closer inspection my friend.

And once i get home ill take pictures. Is that not ehat that sentence was followed by collectorcol ?? I believe it was. Maybe ill post up some pics of my supposed flawless piece now that im not at work just glancing over it. You see you and a few other members have me all twisted up with the new to the hobby breed. You see i have been supporting sideshow for about roughly 10 years now. And over that time i have gladly forked over thousands of dollars for HIGH QUALITY collectibles. But ya know what... In the past few years i have begun noticing something. There is no more high quality collectibles from them. Ji
st alot of pretty good.. decent .. or passable pieces with issues that we turn a blind eye to. But now... Now its a different story. Niw there is no qc. And im wrong for stating the painfully obvious ?? Im wrong for saying something ?? Im wrong for saying we as collectors are not getting our moneys worth ?? S
Top riding sideshows genitals and open your eyes my friend.

Got mine yesterday and got lucky, low number and no scuffs/chips/cracks. Other than the crappy painted teeth I have no issues with it.

Also, I love Alien3 and the Dog is my favorite design. I know it's not a popular stance, but I slightly prefer it over Alien. I just love the whole feeling of the film.

I'd be surprised if anyone's Big Chap came without a single flaw. I'd say that if anyone did get one that appears flawless, they either haven't given it a proper look, or they got extremely lucky. I'm willing to bet that most of these turned out flawed in some way, and the replacements are probably the same, if not worse. The packaging for this thing is sh-thouse, the styrofoam doesn't even fit the shape of the Alien properly, some parts are obviously squished in, so it's no wonder everyone's Big Chap is turning up with broken tendons (if yours hasn't, consider yourself lucky). I'm actually surprised mine didn't turn out worse, considering the luck I usually have with these things.

Actually im pretty sure i posted it arrived at my job and upon a quick glance there was no broken tendons or immediate damage. But once home ill inspect further... Collector col. And guess what after giving it a better look out of the plastic covering the base ot was immediately clear the base is not clear coated... The tubing on one side of the head is only glued halfway through... Theres what appears to be stress cracks on the dome visible under lighting. Overspray completely covering the underside of the dome in the back. Globs of glue that are holding the dome on... The list goes on ... Shall i continue collectorcol ?? Whats immediately visible is completely different from whats found on closer inspection my friend.

That overspray you're talking about...you sure it's overspray? I haven't got mine in front of me right now, but I remember when looking at it last night that the back fades to a black colour so it's not transparent at all right at the back. I'm wondering if that's what you're talking about, because if so, that doesn't look like overspray to me, it looks like it's meant to be like that.

I open my eyes over my awesome Red Sonja every day :D
SS have obviously had a few disasters recently but they are still capable of knocking out awesome statues and often do.
Yeah we shouldn't have to worry about what will be delivered but calling them crap over everything they produce, especially before anyone has seen said piece, is wrong.

I'll be more than happy if I can use the word 'flawless' after first inspection tomorrow.

That was what i was actually thinking. Because no way could that get through qc. Basically upon first glance it appeared in great shape. No pieces in the box or anything painfully blatant. But once i tried taking pics i started to notice more and more. Theres just alot of little issues that add up to a larger issue. There is no more pride taken in these pieces and its obvious.

Im not trying to fight with you.. or any other member on this board. And im not calling every piece they produce crap. Or flaming them on every piece. Gladiator hulk.. amazing. Galactus .. amazing. Deaths general.. grail piece. Lord darkness lsb... Amazing alien warrior and big chap maquettes .. beautiful. Etc etc. But then on the other hand you have pvc supes. Pvc c3po and r2d2. Wrong paint color iron man ls. P2 biomask. Poison ivy headsculpt swap. Warrior and big chap lsb .. etc etc. Sometimes they go above and beyond. Other times they really dont care. And when we complain were wrong.

Yeah, no worries. We're all here because we love statues.

My point was you called out this bust before anyone actually received it. The people with issues have every right to complain.
FTR, My Warrior actually turned out pretty awesome.

I opened mine earlier tonight and this will be my first item returned to Sideshow. I don't even want another one; it's not worth it. Mine had a bunch of issues that others had but the biggest issue is the base/body sucks. It's not very well-detailed and the paint ops are real bland and boring. There's nothing museum quality about the base. The skull looks great but the rest of the sculpt has the detail of a cookie jar, seriously. I was very underwhelmed. I have a cookie jar collection and that's the feeling I got when I was looking at it. I could probably overlook the light scuffing on the dome near the front (!) of the head, the small chip in the dome in the back, tiny pieces of something inside and entombed in the dome, and a paint chip on the nameplate, but the broken tendrils on one side don't seem to have the complete pieces scattered in the box and it's just not that great of a piece. It's nothing like the prototype shown in San Diego, was it last summer? This was going to be my Alien centerpiece amongst many Alien collectibles but it's just not worth the price.

So you know im not just flaming the piece. Im posting up some pics. This is once im home and able to actually spend time going over it with a light and actually looking looking at it. You will see. Theres gobs of glue and paint. Overspray on the dome. What appears to be hairline scratches over the dome. Base that is not clear coated. Misaligned tendon . Half glued hose.and a little bit of glue on the dome as well. At first glance I couldnt see this due to being at work. IMAG0872.jpgIMAG0848.jpgIMAG0850.jpgIMAG0859.jpgIMAG0860.jpgIMAG0863.jpgIMAG0864.jpgIMAG0868.jpgIMAG0871.jpgIMAG0849.jpg

Got mine today. After reading all the issues here I was worry. But fortunately, mine came 99% quality. Flawless dome, no bubbles, no scratches, no cracks. Tendons are fine. One of the has a little gap. One tiny little paint drip at the back of shoulder. I can live with that.

I will admit though. Displayed it looks nice. And under different lighting you can get different effects on the piece. Im happy with the piece just not pleased with the quality if that makes sense.

Attachments

• IMAG0873.jpg
    IMAG0873.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 298
  • IMAG0880.jpg
    IMAG0880.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 299
  • IMAG0879.jpg
    IMAG0879.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 299
  • IMAG0878.jpg
    IMAG0878.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 304
Dome scuffs & glue residue...

97467n.jpg

14jxpmt.jpg

fdvlt1.jpg

Gaps, filler & glue residue...

15rl11g.jpg

s5cz75.jpg

71pe11.jpg

Dome internally scratched in several places...

2vbrej9.jpg

Teeth? Awful...

34jajgl.jpg

Tendon broke...

2poysl1.jpg

Pipe broke and attached by metal pin..

25zowtc.jpg

dlixci.jpg

Paint flat. Looks rushed with no effort...

11two3q.jpg

21b9lxt.jpg

Last edited:
Is that tendon definitely broken? Mine looked identical to that, but I didn't think it looked like a break. Mine looks more like it just wasn't produced long enough to reach the top.

Will you be going for a refund or trying for a replacement?

Your dome is scuffed in the same place as mine too.

Dome scuffs & glue residue...

97467n.jpg

14jxpmt.jpg

fdvlt1.jpg

Gaps, filler & glue residue...

15rl11g.jpg

s5cz75.jpg

71pe11.jpg

Dome internally scratched in several places...

2vbrej9.jpg

Teeth? Awful...

34jajgl.jpg

Tendon broke...

2poysl1.jpg

Pipe broke and attached by metal pin..

25zowtc.jpg

dlixci.jpg

Paint flat. Looks rushed with no effort...

11two3q.jpg

21b9lxt.jpg

Wow, looks like you got shafted as well. I'm sorry to hear dude. That's awful. My tendon actually broke exactly the same as yours.

I actually went over this piece properly tonight whilst taking proper photos of it with my SLR, and found a couple more things wrong with mine, but nothing to the extent of yours.

Still, I was underwhelmed the first time I saw it, but looking at it properly I'm even more disappointed in this piece as it just doesn't look like a $400 collectible. My complaints are pretty much same as yours. Paintjob is really poor, and the teeth really do look shocking and amateurish. The other guy got it right when he said it has the detail of a cookie jar. I will be sending mine back for a refund I think.

Is that tendon definitely broken? Mine looked identical to that, but I didn't think it looked like a break. Mine looks more like it just wasn't produced long enough to reach the top.

Will you be going for a refund or trying for a replacemet?
Mouth tendon? Broke, I've got the piece.

Replacement or refund, not really bothered atm.
Years anticipation, week waiting for it to arrive and totally underwhelmed.

I used $150 worth of points on this. I'll take the refund and happily take a hammer to it if I get my points back.

Last edited:
Mouth tendon? Broke, I've got the piece.

Replacement or refund, not really bothered atm.
Years anticipation, week waiting for it to arrive and totally underwhelmed.
Yeah that's the one. That's so weird, there must be a lot that have broken in exactly the same place.

Sorry dude, I know the feeling. I even bought new shelves and planned out how I was going to display it with the warrior LSB, P1 LSB and other predator statue.

I haven't been in this hobby for long, but I'm done with Sideshow. Their attitude is disgusting. They passed mine off as shipping damage, then made out as though I was nitpicking and there was no issue. Then said they wouldn't budge on a $50 store credit because of the low retail value of the item. I'll stick with other companies like Gentle Giant going forward. Their Black Widow and Artemisia looked to have turned out amazing so I have those to look forward to which is helping get over the disappointment of this.

I've never had to do this before, but I think this is the form you need to reclaim import fees
Apache Tomcat - Error report

Back