Alien Big Chap 1:1 bust Coolprops

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes for this extreme high price they should pay an quality control team only for this piece.

Well Fed ex are quick, mine just arrived earlier than expected.

First impressions..... This thing is beautiful! Seriously beautiful. The big chap has long been my favorite character, and this thing has captured that eerie, beautiful, Alien creature in all of it's glory.

Second impressions upon lifting it out of the box. This doesn't feel like a super high quality product if I'm honest, it feels quite light and plasticy in places, but not even close to being as bad as some recent Sideshow items such as the Wolf LSB. It's passable, but I think I just expected a bit more for $1700 + $125 shipping and 20% duty. Still, It is acceptable and it wouldn't be an issue once it's up on display.

Third impressions.... Bugger! It has a huge cluster of scratches on the side of the dome. It also has a fair amount of peeling black paint towards the rear. Speaking of paint, it isn't anything to shout about at all. It's just a flat black with very sparse brown highlights. That said, it doesn't look bad at all, it just comes back to that huge price tag which inevitably raises expectations.

Ultimately, despite the huge cost, I'm going to get onto Sideshow and see if they can replace this one rather than returning it. Also, we're always harder on these things when they first arrive. I'll save my full thoughts and review etc until I've had it a few days, or until my shiny undamaged new one hopefully arrives. I suspect I'll go from slightly underwhelmed, to adoring it as a little time passes....

Thank you for this straightforward, objective first review and I hope you can get your bust exchanged for a pristine one.

The truth is, while the bust is undeniably beautiful, owing to Giger's incredible design, nothing in the pictures posted so far has screamed "2k$ collectible" to me... :( Something doesn't look right, and I think it has to do with the flat paintjob and lack of finer details (I'm sure the actual prop itself looked like this, but due to movie magic, the Big Chap always looked more organic/slimy to my eyes).

In our hobby there is nothing objective at all. I have seen lots of pieces that are considered “grails” and that costs 1 or 2K$ and simply I don’t like them. I’m sure that their owners are very proud of them...Even with alien...for instance, and don’t kill me for say this but...I don’t like the alien cinenaquette but when I saw the LSB big chap from SS i didn’t sleep until I bought it....and I didn’t like it at first..It was just after seeing the bust displayed in a shop!

It is very personal I mean...I am really sorry for Python and the damaged bust he received but why his review is objective and not the rest?

I had problems with a statue from chronicles. I ended sending it back and for me it doesn’t worth the prize, but the owners of it are very happy...I am objective for disliking it and the others are wrong for like it?

Each one knows what worths the money or not depending in our personal preferences. And if I have to be objective none of these statues should costs the prizes we are paying for (but I am happy to pay for them if I like them and I can afford them). Of course I agree with some of you who ask for more quality control after paying these fortunes...

Python my friend, hope you got a good one and hope to see a review of it here:)

Just a quick note, "plasticy" may have been the wrong choice of word, obviously the dome is plastic. I think the rest is likely fiberglass which is fine by me. It just means it feels quite light and extremely hollow. It's basically just a big black lump, but a pretty one also. The damage is my only real issue, and I'v since noticed a tooth missing a good chunk of chrome. Although having seen it in hand, I have definitely not changed my opinion that this is heavily overpriced. I imagine much of the RRP went towards said license rather than fancy production methods and refinements. But sadly, paying through the nose is the only way we'll get the ultimate Gigers licensed Alien replicas, and this is the ultimate one for now which is why I'm begrudgingly willing to pay the huge asking price. Despite not overwhelmingly blowing me away, I will be asking for a replacement, and if P1 don't come through on the maquette, I will still order the CP version, but they do need to work harder on refining their production pieces.

Still waiting for mine:) python, could you seriously tell me if it looks like in this youtube video?? I just expect this:)

https://youtu.be/_9zCTTBDk5Q

Yes mate, it looks exactly the same, that video helped me make my mind up ordering it. I think you'll definitely be happy so long as it arrives in a good condition.

Sorry to hear about yet ANOTHER set of problems for you my friend :(

Thanks Spike, you know me. Unlucky, but always happy enough so long as things get sorted in the end. I am at the stage where I'm apprehensive about contacting Sideshow however. Even though all of these issues are out of my control, I actually feel like a burden to them at this point. They must hate me by now even though I always try to be understanding and easy going with them. Id say 60-70% of everything I've ever received has ended with me having to contact Sideshows CS due to issues. And not nit picking either, we're talking Predator masks with no magnets that don't connect to their stands etc..... Still, not great odds, I actually fear I'll be black listed one day even though I've handed them a small fortune over the years.

. . . Thanks Spike, you know me. Unlucky, but always happy enough so long as things get sorted in the end. I am at the stage where I'm apprehensive about contacting Sideshow however. Even though all of these issues are out of my control, I actually feel like a burden to them at this point. They must hate me by now even though I always try to be understanding and easy going with them. Id say 60-70% of everything I've ever received has ended with me having to contact Sideshows CS due to issues. And not knit picking either, we're talking Predator masks with no magnets that don't connect to their stands etc..... Still, not great odds, I actually fear I'll be black listed one day even though I've handed them a small fortune over the years.

I wouldn't worry about that.

1. You are far more patient with them than they deserve - particularly because you KEEP going back to them with further custom.

2. You'll get a heads-up if it ever IS a possibility because they will prioritise (they'll come after me LONG before they zero in on you :lol )

Maybe after the current "shut down the customs forums or else!" idiocy, Sideshow's next bit of bullying will be to order forums to ban anybody that they feel is over-critical.

(* Just teasing Sideshow - your art-direction is always outstanding and your QC is unbeatable *)

(* no - REALLY - HONEST !!!! *)

:chase

Yes mate, it looks exactly the same
At 3:45 in that video, there is a crack that leads and kind of curves around the top of the hole where the piping goes into the skull. Does yours have that?

At 3:45 in that video, there is a crack that leads and kind of curves around the top of the hole where the piping goes into the skull. Does yours have that?

Hmmm, could you screenshot and circle the area you mean? I can't quite figure out what I'm looking for.

Hmmm, could you screenshot and circle the area you mean? I can't quite figure out what I'm looking for.
Does yours have a " crack " drawn on where i have used the red here? Because neny's does, the proto does, but yet mine doesnt, and neother does other people who have shown theirs here. Im wondering if neny got one of the Asian batch. But with you saying its the same then this wouldnt be the case if yours had it too. So i for sake of curiosity was wondering if yours had the crack drawn on or not here -

crack.jpg

Nope, mine hasn't got the crack along there either. How strange, I probably wouldn't have noticed. I can't imagine they would have altered that only on certain items. I wonder if that particular line was painted onto the proto?

Here's a few pictures I shot of it. If my initial thoughts seemed harsh, don't let them put you off of this. I expected an awful lot for over $2k is all. This doesn't live up to it price tag, but it is a thing of beauty. It's growing on me already...

aLmWYBa.jpg

L4RyEYe.jpg

KQPtMoH.jpg

this image taken with flash
tlkRfzK.jpg

xAf4Xtb.jpg

gL2P7lk.jpg

7EXSNO6.jpg

Qyq2pG8.jpg

9Sagyaw.jpg

FoLL47Y.jpg

abHPC0X.jpg

7UbZDmM.jpg

EPbniPn.jpg

Wow Python!!!!really a thing of beauty!!!!can’t wait to get it mine!!!and I am sure that photos doesn’t make justice to it!!(even if they are as good as yours..lol)

Thanks!!:)

Wow Python!!!!really a thing of beauty!!!!can’t wait to get it mine!!!and I am sure that photos doesn’t make justice to it!!(even if they are as good as yours..lol)

Thanks!!:)

Thank you. If you like the pictures, you'll love the real thing for sure!

It is beautiful. And the side-by-side shot with the 1/2 LSB just underlines how woefully inaccurate Sideshow's sculpt is...

Yeah, I quite like the LSB for all of its faults. But standing it next to this thing isn't even fair. It pales in terms of accuracy...

Received mine (number 310 )
And I think it’s beautiful, was a nightmare making all the payments but I got there in the end and I’m glad I did :)

The bust looks great but I'm not a fan of the "transparent" dome. I hope P1's version will be more opaque

I guess “newbies” here are on ignore...

I'm sorry, did you have a question?

The bust looks great but I'm not a fan of the "transparent" dome. I hope P1's version will be more opaque

What you aren't seeing in any images is a light black splatter all over the dome. It isn't how I'd have chosen to do it personally. I'd have used a heavily thinned (I:e transparent) black uniform layer all over. But it isn't bad really. It isn't fully clear, but certainly more so than most Big chap collectibles we've seen. The real thing went from clear, to fully opaque at times, so it' always going to be a question pf preference rather than accuracy. And in that sense, I'd rather have it too clear than too dark which hides all of the best bits beneath. It wouldn't be a huge job having the dome darkened tbh if you wished to do so.

Glad I cancelled mine.

For something close to two grand...the item has to instantly blow you away.

I got a $1200 refund back...which will be set aside to partially fund Chase Smith’s Big Chap.
Where can I see photos of this? I've been looking for an Alien bust to essentially finish my collection but cool props just hasn't took my fancy with their Alien line unfortunately. I was hoping for a bust with shoulders really.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Where can I see photos of this? I've been looking for an Alien bust to essentially finish my collection but cool props just hasn't took my fancy with their Alien line unfortunately. I was hoping for a bust with shoulders really.

Post #602 in this thread. So should be on page 61.

Back