Alien Big Chap 1:1 bust Coolprops

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think anybody is arguing that the price on this isn't way too high. That has been the shared opinion from the start and it certainly hasn't changed now it has released.

We need more pictures people, need to make a decision on this before it's gone for good. I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and getting it....

It looks nice..but not like a 2k piece.I don´t like that the details on the sides of the mouth are all molded in solid plastic.I think that looks like a bigger made head of an Kenner Action figure.They should make more seperate detailed parts on the moutharea..some tranparent ones?.They did that on the Alien Warriorheads..why not here?

It depends on personal preferences...I am very happy that they difn’t use separate detailed parts on the mouth area (transparebt ones). That’s exactly what I don’t like from warrior heads, and sideshow busts...this trandparent pieces looks completely off to me.

This bust is really expensive, yes, but it is the most accurated big chap we have. Looks like kenner one? I don’t think so. Yes it is the same concept with transperent dome, and also the mouth area kenner used for the big chap has no transparents things on it...but there are clear differences on the sculpt, skull under the dome...they are both big chap alien yes, but coolprops one 100% accurated to giger’s one.

need to make a decision on this before it's gone for good. I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and getting it....
I dont think you should buy it. Its awesome, but i dont think what anybody says or shows will change your mind. You seem to be on the fence not because you want the item, but more so because you dont like the idea of missing out. Where as if they made 2500 of these i think youd be more inclined to pass.

All though saying that, items can become extremely desirable due to rarity. And that item itself can surpass the intent of the original product imperfections aside purely because down the line in a few years nobody will be able to buy one. And i think you would look back at this time, kick yourself for not jumping on it. Theres 1000 worldwide, the 150 Japanese ones got snapped up, all the uk sites sold out months ago and theres only a handful left on sideshow with the others not passing QC tests and being destroyed aswell as returns so the number of them out there is actually smaller. Its not a case of if these sell out, ts when. I think you should buy it.

I dont think you should buy it. Its awesome, but i dont think what anybody says or shows will change your mind. You seem to be on the fence not because you want the item, but more so because you dont like the idea of missing out.

You have me very wrong on that part. I want the item 100%, the only thing I'm battling with is the high price because I've recently moved and have a lot of financial commitments currently. I can afford it, but there are also lots of other things I could do with buying so I'm simply trying to justify the cost to myself. That and I'm trying to prioritise this and the various high end Alien & Predator maquettes on the way from P1. I obviously want it all, but have to be honest with myself and conceded that I simply can't afford it all. I've been using my head so far with this one, decent pictures are helping my heart win over a little more.

We could create a post about for and against reasons to buy this bust python...lol(but you know for will always win! I’m with kiva!and you should buy also the maquette;))

I've made that list myself many times. I'm also torn on the CP maquette, only waiting to see the Prime 1 Big chap before I order that beauty...

Coolprops maquette is the perfect companion for the coolprops bust. You will have the same representation in 1:1 and in 1/3 scale. I am sure that prime 1 will make an awesome job, but if you buy the bust, the one to go is the coolprops’ maquette.

The best option would be to buy them all though but as I am not rich and I have not enough place to display them, I choose coolprops.

Prime 1 makes awesome pieces, we have seen the dog maquette which is incredible but again, I have no place to display it.

On my opinion, with coolprops you can have a perfect representation of the creature in 1:1 and 1/3 scale (bust and full body), (better price than prime 1 and easier to display). With prime 1, if I had a bigger house and enough money, I would like to buy all the alien maquettes to complete the collection.

The problem for me is I don't think this is the perfect representation of the creature. There's deal breaker issues with the teeth, missing mouth tendons, paint scheme, dome translucency and choice of utilising just the head and not the shoulders.
I like the HCG version better, but still I believe the perfect Alien bust is yet to be made.

Thanks Infectead, I understand what you say. We have to difference between giger’s alien, the one that is displayed at the giger’s museum, and the alien everybody knows from the film.

If you want to compare this bust with the alien we have seen in the film, I have to agree that there are a lot of details missing on that bust. Slime, tendons (made with condoms, so very difucult to replicate) or darker dome. But, about sculpt, it is the exact replica from a head used in the movie (there are some pictures in facebook when theyvare replicating the dome...awesome job!).

I don’t see the problem with chromed teeth and neither with the paintjob. Of course I would prefer that chase smith paints my bust but honestly, which colors do we see in the movie? Black? I don’t see more variety of colors on it.

About the HCG version, I’m sorry but I don’t like the sculpt (specially mouth area)

I have seen figures in photos and in person and I have to admit that figures that I though won’t worth it, impressed meconce I saw them in person. If I receive something similar to this: https://youtu.be/_9zCTTBDk5Q I will be MORE THAN HAPPY. And no doubts that this is Alien 100%:)

The problem for me is I don't think this is the perfect representation of the creature. There's deal breaker issues with the teeth, missing mouth tendons, paint scheme, dome translucency and choice of utilising just the head and not the shoulders.
I like the HCG version better, but still I believe the perfect Alien bust is yet to be made.

The last bit about the shoulders I get, I can see why many people would prefer a full bust, I kind of like this for the sole reason that I could wall mount it on a shelf, a bust would take up a lot more space.

The rest of the things you mentioned though varied greatly on the actual suit during filming. So I'm not sure there ever will be a "perfect" representation in that regard. The dome ranged from clear to almost fully black (with even wispy white lines at certain points) the tendons were regularly applied in different positions etc, the paint is debatable. We see many wonderful custom paint apps on Big chap kits and props, but the real thing was probably closer to this, although I do agree that CP's production and paint apps could be much better none the less.

I really don't like the old 1:1 HCG bust, it looks like a brown boss-eyed horse to me and nothing like Gigers beautiful creation. This coolprops head is the closest I've seen, It's beautiful. But hopefully somebody (maybe CP or P1) will make a version as accurate as this, but with more of the shoulders etc incorporated so that people with tastes more like such as yours can be happy also. Win win.

Never seen a better Alien bust .
Ordered!:yess:

Have see the HCG bust in person and was shocked about this horsealien creature:horror

I still can’t seem to hit the cancel button, lol. As I said, have been in contact with Chase Smith. But I’m also drawn to the CoolProps one. The thing is that I can only own one...not only monetary reasons, but lack of space to display as well. One more payment on the CoolProps to go...my final cancel date is the 25th.

It’s either going to be CoolProps Giger Head or Chase Smith’s Big Chap Head/Shoulders.

Decisions, decisions, decision, bloody hell, lol...

BTW, I’m a newbie here, but a HUGE Alien fan...ever since I saw it at the theater wit my late dad way back in 1979...it’s my all time favorite movie.

I have a decent collection. I’m also into airbrushing and model building...that’s why I was inquiring about an unpainted and untrimmed Chase Smith kit. He’s willing to sell me one...

Nice to be here, lots of cool posters...

P.S. I’ve been a loooong time member of the Mego Museum (since 2003)...29,327 posts...so I’m not a newbie at posting, lol...

It depends on personal preferences...I am very happy that they difn’t use separate detailed parts on the mouth area (transparebt ones). That’s exactly what I don’t like from warrior heads, and sideshow busts...this trandparent pieces looks completely off to me.

This bust is really expensive, yes, but it is the most accurated big chap we have. Looks like kenner one? I don’t think so. Yes it is the same concept with transperent dome, and also the mouth area kenner used for the big chap has no transparents things on it...but there are clear differences on the sculpt, skull under the dome...they are both big chap alien yes, but coolprops one 100% accurated to giger’s one.

I know that the Kenner is not so accurate...I was only talking about the cheap plasticlook of the details.It look dead for me.Not like a real living creature.Like a big toyhead.One with an accurate sculpt overall..yes...but not like a real Alien.And then this extreme high price for that...this combination is it not worth for me.For 1000-1200$ it would be a nice head...and a good base for a great repaint.That is only my personal taste.:wink1:

Really guys? Still complaining about the price? Now complaining it doesn't look like a real living xenomorph? haha. this is getting hilarious. SPOILER ALERT!!!! Its not a real alien. Its made of plastic so it will look like a real plastic alien...….**** THIS JUST IN******* the original prop was a fake plastic alien, and when you look at it in real life...…*****ANOTHER SPOILER ALERT****** it looks just like a plastic fake alien, just like this one.

I know what you mean kroenen but alien without slime and movement should look dead:). Remember in aliens.. when the marines enter into the hive and nobody realizes that aliens are there until they move.
Yeah! It’s personal taste at the end and mine is that I LOVE THIS BUST!lol (very expensive butI love it!).

The last bit about the shoulders I get, I can see why many people would prefer a full bust, I kind of like this for the sole reason that I could wall mount it on a shelf, a bust would take up a lot more space.

The rest of the things you mentioned though varied greatly on the actual suit during filming. So I'm not sure there ever will be a "perfect" representation in that regard. The dome ranged from clear to almost fully black (with even wispy white lines at certain points) the tendons were regularly applied in different positions etc, the paint is debatable. We see many wonderful custom paint apps on Big chap kits and props, but the real thing was probably closer to this, although I do agree that CP's production and paint apps could be much better none the less.

I really don't like the old 1:1 HCG bust, it looks like a brown boss-eyed horse to me and nothing like Gigers beautiful creation. This coolprops head is the closest I've seen, It's beautiful. But hopefully somebody (maybe CP or P1) will make a version as accurate as this, but with more of the shoulders etc incorporated so that people with tastes more like such as yours can be happy also. Win win.

Very well said Python.

May I add, the Rambaldi mechanical head. It’s been documented that Rombaldi followed Gigers design as much as possible. But modifications had to be made for the moving parts eg. Inner jaw and mouth and Ky jelly for saliva in animation mode. Apparently there were hundreds and hundreds of parts added, in order for the head and jaw to move. Which also explains why there are differences. This is off of Gigers original as Coolprops have explained.

Just to answer Manu and Python, the HCG was also molded off the original prop. They also used the current condition of the prop as a reference for the paint scheme. The end product for better or worse is a replica of the Alien prop at the time it was done.
And they ****ed up the mouth! :gah:.
Again for me personally I'd of liked this to have been refined and tweaked into the best film looking version possible with better shading in the dome and more of a condensation / smoke effect to the dome, slimier paint aps etc... but I also respect that HCG delivered the prop faithfully. Sans the ****ed up mouth lol
In the end as long as we're happy with what's on our shelf represents Alien we're pretty lucky to have these pieces.

I know what you mean kroenen but alien without slime and movement should look dead:). Remember in aliens.. when the marines enter into the hive and nobody realizes that aliens are there until they move.
Yeah! It’s personal taste at the end and mine is that I LOVE THIS BUST!lol (very expensive butI love it!).

I know that the Aliensuits are only dead rubberprops also.And thats the reason why I also don´t like the Stuntheads from Aliens.I´m more a fan of the animatronic figure because I think the combination of the overall look and the lots of detailed parts at the mouthsection brings the creature to life.A replica of the Alien animatronic head would be more interesting for me because I love the scenes where the Alien opens the mouth before it kills.That looks so strange and dangerous.I think the head should have a mouth like this..thats looks so much more like a real living "Thing"..and the dome is also cooler when its not so clear:

32965120tz.jpg

Very well said Python.

May I add, the Rambaldi mechanical head. It’s been documented that Rombaldi followed Gigers design as much as possible. But modifications had to be made for the moving parts eg. Inner jaw and mouth and Ky jelly for saliva in animation mode. Apparently there were hundreds and hundreds of parts added, in order for the head and jaw to move. Which also explains why there are differences. This is off of Gigers original as Coolprops have explained.

I know that Giger was not a fan of the Rambaldi head..but I thing Rambaldi made a great job.Giger delivered the overall design..but without Rambaldis awesome work the creature had never become this big attention.I like the Rambaldiversion..all of it..the colors,the milky dome,the extreme detailed mouthsection.
32965244ga.jpg

Back