Alamo Drafthouse Posters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really a matter of preference. The custom framed prints I have that way because i really do not plan on swapping them out. A well done frame up can really make prints pop

Just out of curiosity, is custom framing necessary? I've got my Superman and Batman prints in some basic 24"x36" frames, for now, and, while I'd like to get them custom framed, paying almost as much as the print, if not more, for the frame is a hard pill to swallow.

Just out of curiosity, is custom framing necessary? I've got my Superman and Batman prints in some basic 24"x36" frames, for now, and, while I'd like to get them custom framed, paying almost as much as the print, if not more, for the frame is a hard pill to swallow.

Honestly, the only reason I do not mat my prints is because I tend to swap them around. I think for some prints it is necessary and I will always do it if a print is a custom size compared to the standard 18/24 and 24/36.

My Halloween is the only print I plan to mat and leave forever in its frame. Everything else, including my rocky horror's are regular frame sizes so for me, I see no reason to mat them.

I've had 3 different prints up in frames that have now been removed and sold. Again, for me it makes no sense to mat.

I was an avid fan of matting and custom framing. Still am.

But I have become a realist as well. Would I rather wait months sometimes years on end to get a piece framed and seen on my wall or compromise slightly and get to enjoy it sooner than later.

As a result I have been using Hobby Lobby. They have exact size for most mondo releases.

I add acid free backing board, custom hangers and paperbacking sealed to the back. Most times... less than $50 and looks great minus the matte.

I am happy with the results.

Don't kill me, but I actually bought mine from Wal-Mart. That being said, I really like the way each frame looks, but I also want to make sure that the prints are protected, so, would it be viable to "upgrade" my frames, if you will, by purchasing the acid free backing/ UV proof glass/acrylic, and replacing those parts of the frame?

Don't kill me, but I actually bought mine from Wal-Mart. That being said, I really like the way each frame looks, but I also want to make sure that the prints are protected, so, would it be viable to "upgrade" my frames, if you will, by purchasing the acid free backing/ UV proof glass/acrylic, and replacing those parts of the frame?

Why would I kill you bro?

We collect what we can how we can and it is all to be enjoyed. No one has the right to judge you for that.

Corner spacers on the inside help keep the print from touching the glass.

The backing is a must for me.

I did not use the UV glass cause I am displaying in a completely dark room with controlled lighting and zero sunlight.

But if you are not, I would consider it cause it can affect the piece if you LOVE it.

Why would I kill you bro?

We collect what we can how we can and it is all to be enjoyed. No one has the right to judge you for that.

Corner spacers on the inside help keep the print from touching the glass.

The backing is a must for me.

I did not use the UV glass cause I am displaying in a completely dark room with controlled lighting and zero sunlight.

But if you are not, I would consider it cause it can affect the piece if you LOVE it.

I really do love the prints, and I want to protect them. I see the Wal-Mart frames as more of a temporary solution, though. Mondo doesn't seem to make too many DC prints (which are my main area of expertise:lol), so, at some point, I think I could afford to have them matted/framed. As for right now, though, I'm probably just going to buy some new black-out curtains (the ones I have up now still let natural light in, even though they do block it), so the acid free backing might be the most viable, for now.

I really do love the prints, and I want to protect them. I see the Wal-Mart frames as more of a temporary solution, though. Mondo doesn't seem to make too many DC prints (which are my main area of expertise:lol), so, at some point, I think I could afford to have them matted/framed. As for right now, though, I'm probably just going to buy some new black-out curtains (the ones I have up now still let natural light in, even though they do block it), so the acid free backing might be the most viable, for now.

Post some pics when you get them on the walls. :rock

Understand.

The backing is not that much either. I get them for like $10 in that size. Less if you have a coupon ;)

Post some pics when you get them on the walls. :rock
I'll try to. It might be a little while, though, as I want to get some good pics.

Understand.

The backing is not that much either. I get them for like $10 in that size. Less if you have a coupon ;)

Really? Awesome. I think the only place we have in my area is a Michael's, though, so, hopefully, it shouldn't be too different there.

I have my first print on its way too. Jurassic Park Rex variant, the framing discussion has been very helpful :goodpost:

Yeah that one is 16.75 x 36

Crap yea that is odd.

Though I will say I had one like that. And I did a top and bottom matte in a 24x26 frame. Didn't look too shabby when done.

Really? Awesome. I think the only place we have in my area is a Michael's, though, so, hopefully, it shouldn't be too different there.

Yeah just snag a coupon bro. That way you get at least 40% off. :hi5:

Back