Akihabara, Japan trip. Shopping advice (3months)!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xipotec

Super Freak
Reaction score
I will be visiting Akihabara , Japan in November. I could use some advice from anyone who know what shops would be best for 1/6 scale figures, specifically Hot Toys.

I am planning on visiting the following:

1. Toy Sapians (Hot Toys flagship store)
2. mandarake
3. kotobutkiya
4. Akiba
5. yellow Submarine

Any advice on other shops , especially used / discount places!

arigatou!

tumblr_lnq0stegLb1qknoe3.gif

Lol, when I went I had no idea what stores I was in, I wasnt a collector then. The best one I remember was just down and on the right from the train station... Wall to wall glass cases with figures. Also check people on the street, i got my first ever figure, Kotetsu from Tiger and Bunny, from one of the street vendors for $2. That one started it all. Be sure to eat lots of ramen, you will need your energy :rock

Lol, when I went I had no idea what stores I was in, I wasnt a collector then. The best one I remember was just down and on the right from the train station... Wall to wall glass cases with figures. Also check people on the street, i got my first ever figure, Kotetsu from Tiger and Bunny, from one of the street vendors for $2. That one started it all. Be sure to eat lots of ramen, you will need your energy :rock
We have about 7 hours there, then a few more another day at Sapians, how did you find the prices?

Make sure to also visit the Medicom store inside the Tokyo Sky Tree Tower. It's small but they got some good figures in there.

Never knew the name ...I was wandering around Ginza and right on an intersection there was this giant 5 story high toy store.
I didn't think anything of it but the wife and daughter wanted to go in.
Wandering around I found the 5th story was all high end collectibles, an entire large shop of nothing but Sidehow, Hot Toys, Enterbay, etc.... including a whole glass display of every Enterbay NBA figure.

...ended up I was the one that had to be dragged out of the store :D

Never knew the name ...I was wandering around Ginza and right on an intersection there was this giant 5 story high toy store.
I didn't think anything of it but the wife and daughter wanted to go in.
Wandering around I found the 5th story was all high end collectibles, an entire large shop of nothing but Sidehow, Hot Toys, Enterbay, etc.... including a whole glass display of every Enterbay NBA figure.

...ended up I was the one that had to be dragged out of the store :D
ROTFL! My son collects 1/24 scale vehicles , my daughter Dinosaurs, ,my wife will be ready for lots of sake by the end of that day!

We have about 7 hours there, then a few more another day at Sapians, how did you find the prices?

Prices seemed pretty standard to what you can order online. I found a couple more figs in the 20-30$ range by scouring the place. Prices ran up to several hundred. They took them straight off the shelves, wrapped them up no boxes- Dunno if thats the standard thing to do. Be prepared to wade thru a TON of One Piece and Evangelion figs to find stuff you like. Titan is really popular there too and has lots of merch. These places are big, that seven hours is gonna go fast lol.

Would you be having access to a Japan issued credit card? Or a colleague/friend who has one?

No? Why would I need one? Visa is international.

I am already going to be looking for a 1968 Godzilla .
A Black Butler Figure
And anything Else I can find thats a deal.

Yen is trading at 124 right now so its like 25% off everything.

No? Why would I need one? Visa is international.

I am already going to be looking for a 1968 Godzilla .
A Black Butler Figure
And anything Else I can find thats a deal.

Yen is trading at 124 right now so its like 25% off everything.

I been to Japan over 20 times, both Tokyo and Osaka. In Akihabara 95% of the stores open by 10am, others from 11-12 latest. Pretty much every store is open 7 days a week. Besides the one you mentioned in your post, theres about 15 more stores :p Literally all you do is go from one end of that street to the other end and then cross over and repeat. If you are unsure which building sells what, get closer and you will see on elevator floor markings what each floor offers. There is actually one very specific store that seels only antique toys and I mean Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs stuff. It is on the side of the street where the Yamanote Akihabara metro exit is and Gundam Cafe (most prob this is where ull get off). But pretty much every store has very retro toys so you dont need to focus only on one. One floor sells Gunpla, other sells army models, third sells airsoft guns etc. You also have another huge Mandarake store in Shibuya station too.

I will have to disagree with some posters here, maybe some of the modern stuff prices are more or less like anywhere else but the retro first of all is way cheaper than anyone sells on ebay and most prob is the stuff you wont even see on listings. All the shop keepers know their ****, even if they lack in english just show them picture or tell them what you are looking for. They will tell you right away if they have it and locate it for you. As I said they know what they are selling, so if you think something is worth $1000, it most probably will be :) Not sure if you will be dropping by Osaka but if you do a must visit is Den Den town. Same concept,smaller but refined. Literally every store on that strip is a collectors shop from toys to games. Akihabara has both collectables, arcades and regular shops all in one so its a bit spaced out.

EDIT:

You can use your foreign credit card in Japan no problem. Bring your passport with you because if its a hefty price tag they will take off tax for foreigners but you need to show them your passport. You wont however be able to take out cash from your foreign card from the ATMs. Only local cards would work. BUT there are international ATMs in post offices which you have plenty enough to make it easy for you to obtain. But like I said, paying wise, your card is good to go.

Often overlooked when traveling to Japan are areas outside Akihabara (and Toy Sapiens more recently). Depending on what you are into, some smaller stations have some amazing shops. For example, there is an amazing little shop in Koenji dedicated to Star Wars https://tokyofox.wordpress.com/2010/08/11/star-wars-shop-in-tokyo/

If you have time on the weekend, DEFINITELY hit up Nakano Broadway. There are some amazing shops there and everything is indoors spanning a few floors. It's as good as, if not better in some ways, than Akihabara. NAKANO BROADWAY Official site

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with here.

I am sort of torn on what to buy. I am not worried about space , I have a dedicated bag for souvenirs. I wanted to find something that would be a tough find in the States , or maybe just some good deals.

Also may look for a higher end Attack on Titan Mikasa....
Would love a 68 Godzilla of some size...

With exchange rate still good anything priced normally would still be cheaper to buy there.

I will be going through Harajuku last day and stopping at Toy Sapians.

My trip also takes me to Hiroshima and Kyoto. Not sure if anything exists near these places

Back