Advise needed from experienced collectors

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAL9000.

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm asking for advise from some experienced collectors. . .

*I've also looked for a thread specifically about this, but can't find one. It must be a common question, so apologies.*

I like posing my figures and setting up scenes, but I've decided to just use figure stands for my more expensive custom figures. (Think Detolf type displays).

With regards to buying stands, what do you guys generally go for? The crotch-grabber type? The ones that grip around the waist? What do you feel are the pros and cons to each? Is there a specific one that works brilliantly with most figures? Or do the cheap ones work just as well?

Of course, I understand that it can depend on the type of figure you're displaying, but a general consensus would be fantastic, and any links would also be appreciated. I'm in the UK at the moment, so Stateside stores are no good for me (Ebay or China would be best). I have a few hundred figures, but don't want to use the stands from official ones on customs.

I've seen the very cheap crotch-grabber stands on Ebay at around $3 or $4. These are appealing because I do need 20 or so, but I'm holding off.

Hope that all makes sense, and thanks in advance! :)

I prefer the waist grabbers becuase they don't affect the poses as much for me. I find I can often hide the rings inside the costumes becuase a lot of my customs are suited and what not. My preference.

I prefer the waist grabbers becuase they don't affect the poses as much for me. I find I can often hide the rings inside the costumes becuase a lot of my customs are suited and what not. My preference.

Thanks, Robbie. HUGE admirer of your work, by the way. Waiting on RM Dracula DX :)

I also like the idea of hiding. The crotch-grabbers can look a bit odd.

I tend to favor the crotch grabbers as lately a lot of figures' waists are too bulky to have the waist grabbers fit properly (ie armored figures). They are certainly more secure, but the fit can be too tight in some cases and pinch into the figure's outfit, which could be rubber based and that could cause long term deformities. The crotch grabbers are mostly there for a little balancing help, but not really securing them. So if you're going for an extreme pose you'd probably want the waist grabbers (maybe even the HT dynamic stands). If its just a vanilla, standing pose, the crotch grabbers work just fine.

Sorry that's not a real clear answer, but its really does just come down to the figure, the pose, and what you're going for. There really isn't a wrong answer here and you shouldn't feel like your displays have to be all of one or the other. That's why both versions exist and should be used where best used.

Personally I love environmental stands over the generic, black museum style bases. An environment base can really make a figure POP! Some can even look like small Premium Format figures. So don't under estimate the power of themed stands - especially if you like setting up scenes. The generic, flat, nameplate-less stands can easily be customized.

I tend to favor the crotch grabbers as lately a lot of figures' waists are too bulky to have the waist grabbers fit properly (ie armored figures). They are certainly more secure, but the fit can be too tight in some cases and pinch into the figure's outfit, which could be rubber based and that could cause long term deformities. The crotch grabbers are mostly there for a little balancing help, but not really securing them. So if you're going for an extreme pose you'd probably want the waist grabbers (maybe even the HT dynamic stands). If its just a vanilla, standing pose, the crotch grabbers work just fine.

Sorry that's not a real clear answer, but its really does just come down to the figure, the pose, and what you're going for. There really isn't a wrong answer here and you shouldn't feel like your displays have to be all of one or the other. That's why both versions exist and should be used where best used.

Personally I love environmental stands over the generic, black museum style bases. An environment base can really make a figure POP! Some can even look like small Premium Format figures. So don't under estimate the power of themed stands - especially if you like setting up scenes. The generic, flat, nameplate-less stands can easily be customized.

Thanks for your insight.

I think the crotch grabbers worry me a bit because a) They're more noticeable and b) I'm concerned they'll deform the clothes (but I guess that's only a minor issue and can be ironed etc.)

When I started, I was all about just having them in scenes - like the Joker's interrogation with batman looming over him and other dynamic poses. That'll still be the bulk of my displays, but now I think I'd like to have both dynamic and just on stands. My thinking is a $2100 figure really needs to be secured :lol

I've found a waist grabber on Ebay that instead of metal, the grabber is plastic. Also, it's adjustable HERE. Obviously, that might be too cheap and nasty, especially for such high-end customs. Worth spending a bit to make them safe.

I also take your point about what's best for each figure, so I may well buy some of each! And then, for the MEGA expensive customs, look at something higher-end like the HT dynamic stands.

Thanks!

You really don't need to use stands if you are setting up a scene or dio

Most of my figures are free standing but a tiny dot of blue tack on each foot will help wobbly figures and in some rare situations I use just the post and claw for figures that just can not stand on their own

I have not had any problems with figures falling over and I'm pretty sure I have the largest single dio featured on this forum so I speak from experience

Last edited:
You really don't need to use stands if you are setting up a scene or dio Most of my figures are free standing but a tiny dot of blue tack on each foot will help wobbly figures and in some rare situations I use just the post and claw for figures that just can not stand on their own I have not had any problems with figures falling over and I'm pretty sure I have the largest single dio featured on this forum so I speak from experience

Yeah, ordinarily I would agree - like I said, I have over 300 figures now and around half are Hot Toys. I'm just talking about the high-end ones. They worry me. Like the $1000+ figures. They tend to be more delicate. I'm not too bothered if an iron Man falls over, as has happened a few times, just something with delicate paint. Like I also said in my post - I want to mix scenes with just museum type poses now.

Good looking setup, by the way! :rock

I did not know there were $1000 action figures> I'm guessing these are customs?

Yeah. My latest will be the Rainman Dracula DX set HERE and it's $2100. So, you can see why I need stands for those! Ha!

Back