Accuracy/Inaccuracy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you only collect Hot Toys? If you open up the scope, you'll see that inaccuracies are a dime a dozen in the world of collectibles, cheap and high-end alike.

I only collect HT now, I used to buy McF and all kinds of different toy lines but now I buy a lot less so I figure I may as well get the best figs I can :)

I know its unreasonable to expect every fig to be perfect and even if a fig is to me, it may not be to the next person. I just notice a lot of mistakes with HT recently have a look of indifference about them. Things that are glaringly obvious and easy to fix, but why bother? We buy them anyways and even a particularly bad fig for HT would be a home run for other companies for the most part. :dunno

I am glad I am discerning enough to demand a high degree of accuracy in my figures, but not ____ enough to demand perfection.

Edit: gee, you can't say ____? I guess it figures.

I thought HT listened to their customers and made all these fantastic corrections to their figures whilst we wait for their release.

In reality, they get a license and output what they can, within budget and a time frame. They do the best they can, and it's the best we're going to get, and that we do get. They cover more bases than their competitors. For the money, I think we do deserve better. Then again, I think they're overpriced overall, but it enables them to diversify and challenge their team into producing remarkably engineered pieces, making them the kings of this domain.

They know the market and have many and various strategies. Whilst re-issuing the same figure would undermine collectivity, they still manage to revise a figure for subsequent improvement, relying on customers uncertainty, and retaining sales all the while. I reckon with their pre-order policy, they have covered their costs and have made their profit, even before production begins. So what risk are they taking? Once they make one perfect figure we'll come to expect it from all of their releases, and why would they want that pressure?

Once they make one perfect figure we'll come to expect it from all of their releases, and why would they want that pressure?
competition. if they don't want to make better products, someone else will. Enterbay and ThreeA arguably make better figures and eventually they'll be the ones getting all the top dollar licenses. it's in HT's best interests to make perfect figures.

I think for the price we pay for HT products we deserve the best.
They are VERY capable of doing better. Look at the Iron man suits.
How can HT produce something as intricate as the Iron man suit, in different variations and moveable parts, and release 2 oily batmans?,A f-up a Nazi cap?, undersize the head/helmet of the Berserker, etc...

The reality is for the prices we pay for stuff it should be so accurate that there is stuff we think is wrong only to research and find is correct, but companies produce things inaccurately all the time, we keep buying them and so what incentive do they have to go back and correct? I guarantee you that all companies will say they have the intentions to produce the most accurate product and for the most part I believe them but it doesn't take but a day to show a model or pictures to get railroaded by thousands of comments on both sides of the fence to know whether they got it right or wrong. Now in the case of the Predator, that was an after the fact bait and switch kind of thing so it doesn't really qualify but I can't see any major changes which would induce another delay and more money spent to correct if an item has already sold out or is selling well enough.

Collectors can change things by voting with their wallets. The reality is that most collectors are okay with good enough and some will say "Its what I remember and that's fine with me" and so things continue in status quo.

Yes, especially with collectibles like Hot Toys stuff. It was incredible to see the devotion back in the Master Replicas days when that company was in its golden age and would go to any lengths to ensure accuracy. Granted, they were in the business of seeing replicas. That might be a possible disconnect that that HT collectors have to reality: these figures are not meant to be exact replicas of what they represent, and while Hot Toys are fudging up things that are relatively easy to fix --as opposed to something like exact 1/6 body type and height, as mike said, we convey our opinions with our wallets so unless we're willing to boycott something, a complaint holds little water.

Yes, especially with collectibles like Hot Toys stuff. It was incredible to see the devotion back in the Master Replicas days when that company was in its golden age and would go to any lengths to ensure accuracy. Granted, they were in the business of seeing replicas. That might be a possible disconnect that that HT collectors have to reality: these figures are not meant to be exact replicas of what they represent,

I agree with a lot of what your saying but HT do advertise 'Movie accurate' when they show protos, thats essentially the same as saying replica to be fair.

and while Hot Toys are fudging up things that are relatively easy to fix --as opposed to something like exact 1/6 body type and height, as mike said, we convey our opinions with our wallets so unless we're willing to boycott something, a complaint holds little water.

Thats the most annoying part of this, I can forgive HS's that people argue about because thats the nature of things, different people see differing degrees of likeness. But oversized hats and undersized heads and the like are pretty basic errors...

Back