6 Pop Culture Visionaries Who Get Too Much Credit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Old Lu

Super Freak
Reaction score
Great article from Cracked.com:

We all know that our favorite games, comics, movies and TV shows are probably collaborative affairs. There are dozens if not hundreds of people involved in bringing a successful franchise to life. But we as a culture just love the story of the creative genius so much -- one brilliant madman spawning ideas fully grown from his forehead, with no help or support from anybody -- that we heap tremendous praise on the rare few who manage to do it.

These ... are not those people.

Read more: 6 Pop Culture Visionaries Who Get Too Much Credit | Cracked.com https://www.cracked.com/article_195...es-who-get-too-much-credit.html#ixzz1fs25hwUm

Hey look, Kate's ass!

And all is right with the world.

:lol:rotfl:lol:rotfl:lol

I don't know if it fits (pop culture visionaries) but Steve Jobs is like that too. Everyone credits him with all the Apple gadgets when in reality it's a whole ____load of other people who created those things.

Basically what Devil and Cracked.com is suggesting when it comes to the general public, "Educate yourself, before you wreck yourself!"

The article is done in humor. I am pretty sure that everyone knows that these people did not build these franchises by themselves. For the most part, people who heap praise on an individual are actually just using the leader or a prominant figure of the franchise as a generic representation of the franchise.

Similar to the way "coke" is used as a general term that some use when referring to any soda pop.

Well, I have to admit that I didn't know about Gene Coon's contribution to Star Trek. I always assumed it was Roddenberry when it came to anything from the original TV series.

I knew about Lucas, Lee and Abrams, didn't care about D&D, but was also surprised about George Meyer from the Simpsons. I only casually watch the Simpsons so I'm not that entrenched in that world. I would have guessed that Groening wasn't that involved in the individual episodes. I would have thought it would have been multiple writers though, not mostly the one guy. It's pretty cool how the writers all give him props.

Back