25% off only till 3pm ET

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's all well and good, but my point remains. It is clear there is a huge markup on these, so they can easily offer a more substantial discount for flawed pieces, which "stores" also do all the time.

Agreed. We cannot fault Sideshow for trying to increase their customer base. It is a business strategy, pure and simple. :peace

I concur, Sideshow's discount to new customers represents a very common business strategy. It's very similar to Credit Card companies who offer a lower introductory interest rate rate to attract new customers.

As existing Sideshow customers, we wonder why we are not offered a similar Avenger discount. But here is the reality...Sideshow knows they do not have to an Avenger like discount to existing customers. We are already "hooked" on their product.

Take a look at all the popular threads that are discussing new products. You have people talking about they are going to pre-order "XYZ" statue on day one. You have people discussing the way the sculpt looks, or discussing other issues with the statue/diorama/figure at hand. There are not many comments stating "I would buy this piece, but since Sideshow is not going to offer a 25% discount I will not purchase this". As existing Sideshow customers we represent a somewhat predictable source of revenues and cash flow. Offering a large discount to the entire existing customer base would be nice, but it's not necessary. Existing customers will likely purchase product without the discount. Is there any discount really needed to get folks to purchase the new Shaak Ti Premium Format??

New customers are a different story....as a business owner you can afford to offer larger "teaser" discounts to new customers. You may send out that large discount offer to 100 new customers, and likely only a small percentage of folks will take advantage of the discount. For Sideshow that's a win-win situation. They are slowly increasing their customer base, while overall profit margins are not negatively impacted by offering the discount in the first place.

You know who I would like to see offered a discount? I would love to see Sideshow offer an Avenger type discount to those individuals who have endured numerous QC problems of the past 6-12 months. IMHO seems as if Sideshow has recently had a number of QC issues. Admittedly I have not had to experience any of these QC issues recently. But I have read posts from forum members who have endured multiple QC issues with the same product or who have endured multiple QC issues with numerous purchases. Offering a great discount to these folks would be a great way to say "we are sorry for the issues you have endured, we really appreciate your business, so please accept this discount code to be used on your next purchase".

The promotion was clearly not well thought out as the fact it allowed you to complete the checkout shows

It should have been a dollar value which is more tangible to a new buyer I am not convinced that most people's first and possibly only purchase would be a legendary scale figure in reading the boards that is what most of the purchases appear to have happened

They are readily willing to give away hundreds of dollars to someone who has never done business with them before, but only offer loyal customers $30 discounts on flawed statues.

Everyone should be pissed off in my opinion.

:lol

That's because ink is on their payroll. :lecture

:lol It reads like he is in the way he defends everything about them. :wink1:

Sure does. :lol

:exactly::goodpost:

It is always wrong to exclude your current customers to prioritize bringing in new ones with an exclusive incentive.

It straight out says "We dont appreciate your business" to current collectors.

It rewards people who do not feel the price set by SS is aligned with the product.

It is always wrong to exclude your current customers to prioritize bringing in new ones with an exclusive incentive.

It straight out says "We dont appreciate your business" to current collectors.

It rewards people who do not feel the price set by SS is aligned with the product.

I respectfully disagree.

Anyone who has ever run, managed or financed a business understands the importance of aggressively securing new clients/customers. It is possible to maintain your current client/customer base and solicit new customers. Successful companies do it all the time. Companies that rely wholly on their existing customer base are doomed to failure.

I'm curious how why have come to the conclusion that Sideshow electing to offer this Avenger promotion automatically means they are ignoring their existing customers? Last time I looked existing Sideshow customers earn reward points for every purchase. These points represent discounts on future purchases. Personally I have a number of small discounts housed in my promotional wallet that I use occasionally to knock off a few bucks here and there.

I respectfully disagree.

Anyone who has ever run, managed or financed a business understands the importance of aggressively securing new clients/customers. It is possible to maintain your current client/customer base and solicit new customers. Successful companies do it all the time. Companies that rely wholly on their existing customer base are doomed to failure.

I'm curious how why have come to the conclusion that Sideshow electing to offer this Avenger promotion automatically means they are ignoring their existing customers? Last time I looked existing Sideshow customers earn reward points for every purchase. These points represent discounts on future purchases. Personally I have a number of small discounts housed in my promotional wallet that I use occasionally to knock off a few bucks here and there.

I agree with you.

Existing customers get cash-back for every purchase. There are numerous give-aways for all. There are often coupon codes for existing customers.

What is making people unhappy is the 25% off, which is a big savings, but from where I'm sitting, I don't really think that SSC is in any way obligated to include everyone in such an offering. As you have very well put it, this is a business strategy. You can't blame a company like Sideshow for doing this. Recruiting more customers.

The example with the credit card companies is very good. You see these kinds of lower introductory rates all the time. Same goes for many, many other businesses.

People feel almost insulted by this. I really think people need to chill out. Walk into their collection room and feel happy about themselves. You've got something right here, and right now, that all these new customers do not. They have a long way to go (and a lot of money to spend) before they are there. Take a moment and just relax, and stop taking things so darn personal.

How many if us would have bought something using the 25% we really were not planning on getting? I know it swayed me to consider the Wolverine lsf, Sauron PF, and the Conan vs Ape dio regular version. Ended up trying to get Sauron but was shot down.

How many if us would have bought something using the 25% we really were not planning on getting? I know it swayed me to consider the Wolverine lsf, Sauron PF, and the Conan vs Ape dio regular version. Ended up trying to get Sauron but was shot down.
You weren't exactly shot down. They offered 10% off which is more than I got.

When dealing with new customers, you generally need to offer one of those discounts that makes you say "I might need to consider doing business with that company". For those of us who buy Sideshow products regularly...we have already drank the kool-aid so to speak. Most of us will make purchases without a discount, offer us a 10-15% and most of us would be thrilled.

New customers are a different breed...so the discount is more aggressive. Manufacturer and retailers will offer aggressive discounts because they realize it can be challenging pulling in new customers. It can be particularly problematic when you are a dominant player that controls market share. Offer a 25% discount to 10 new customers, and a company might gain 2-3 brand new sustainable customers.

When dealing with new customers, you generally need to offer one of those discounts that makes you say "I might need to consider doing business with that company". For those of us who buy Sideshow products regularly...we have already drank the kool-aid so to speak. Most of us will make purchases without a discount, offer us a 10-15% and most of us would be thrilled.

New customers are a different breed...so the discount is more aggressive. Manufacturer and retailers will offer aggressive discounts because they realize it can be challenging pulling in new customers. It can be particularly problematic when you are a dominant player that controls market share. Offer a 25% discount to 10 new customers, and a company might gain 2-3 brand new sustainable customers.

Were you, as a new SS customer offered a similar discount?

Somewhere on this board is a tale of someone that created a SS account two weeks ago, never placed an order but was denied the discount, even when escalating this.

What this encouraged was those with connections that could order for them to create bogus accounts. Some were rewarded for gaming the system, while other 'new' accounts were locked out.

Ill conceived, poorly constructed, and I really don't understand what the expectation was for this secret promo.

I've held a job where I created incentive plans for an automotive company. We launched a "conquest bonus" which was to pull people to our brand and defect our competitors. We held this for about 2 months. The backlash from the current customer base was so heavy we had to pull the program. People driving our brand were so upset it actually caused defection.

Yes it is a business strategy and on paper makes a lot of sense. In no way is anyone obligated to offer anything. However, 25% can be a heavy incentive on select items.

Take for example, if your workplace hired someone from a competitor to do a similar job as yours. you found out they were paying him more than you despite your years of experience and loyalty to your company. Not a little more. 25% more. When you ask your boss why, he tells you"we need to pay more to attract new talent". See the issue? Not a bad decision for your company. Doesn't mean you weren't getting paid enough to stay.but not really a cool thing to do.

Were you, as a new SS customer offered a similar discount?

Somewhere on this board is a tale of someone that created a SS account two weeks ago, never placed an order but was denied the discount, even when escalating this.

What this encouraged was those with connections that could order for them to create bogus accounts. Some were rewarded for gaming the system, while other 'new' accounts were locked out.

Ill conceived, poorly constructed, and I really don't understand what the expectation was for this secret promo.

I'm not a new customer...so that tale you were referencing does not apply to me.

T-bolt, I agree with you that Sideshow's execution of this promotion was flawed. I have said as much in prior posts. However, from a business perspective, I have no problem with the idea of business trying to grow it's customer base.

By the way, none of us will really understand the expectation behind the promotion since we were not privy to the behind the scenes discussions with upper management. My guess is that Sideshow was hoping that a certain percentage of the people that were sent the Avenger promotion would create new accounts and make a purchase. Sideshow likely has some in house data that suggests once a person makes a purchase, they are __% more likely to make additional purchases in the future.

Back