2016 Hot Toys Catalog

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be fair 50 out of 350 is about 15%. So out of every ten figures one is an iron man. Comparatively speaking that is a lot more than the other figures. I know there are a lot of different armors so there is more Iron men to make then say Cap or Thor, but there are a lot of Iron Man figures that HT has made. However I do not blame them many people buy and want all the different armors and different versions of the same armors.

Actually, it's 50 out of 400(50 iron man and 350 not=400...and 12%) but I get what your saying.

But like ou said, every single Cap costume has a figure. Same for Thor. Iron man just has a lot more suits.

The point was, and even using your stats, 85% of every figure is not iron man. So the comment that the reason YJ isn't out is Becuase he's not iron man is silly and has zero factual basis. When they make nearly TEN TIMES as many non iron man figures (and in that 50 number I included the start figures btw) as they do figures of iron man.

There are 39 (or roughly 80% of iron man total)Star Wars figures in 2 years. Predator/alien have around 30(or roughly 60% of im total) 50 iron man figures in nearly 8-9. But everyone acts like iron man makes up this massive difference in totals.

So there's just nothing that even remotely supports that line of thinking. It's just bitching for the sake of bitching.

Last edited:
The complaints stem mainly from Iron Man 3. I don't know why you can't understand why collectors are upset that these IM figures keep coming after only being on screen for literally less than a minute, while main characters from other films have not and probably will not ever see the light of day. And it's not just people who don't collect Iron Man figures complaining. There are other IM collectors out there who feel like HT is just using them, and they are right. It's not HT fault though, because they are a business, but they come across more like drug dealers then a collector friendly company. And Disney is their main supplier, that's why we have the influx of SW figures.

Everybody has a right to complain. It's not going to make a damn bit of difference in this instance, but that doesn't mean they can't do it.

The complaints stem mainly from Iron Man 3. I don't know why you can't understand why collectors are upset that these IM figures keep coming after only being on screen for literally less than a minute, while main characters from other films have not and probably will not ever see the light of day. And it's not just people who don't collect Iron Man figures complaining. There are other IM collectors out there who feel like HT is just using them, and they are right. It's not HT fault though, because they are a business, but they come across more like drug dealers then a collector friendly company. And Disney is their main supplier, that's why we have the influx of SW figures.

Everybody has a right to complain. It's not going to make a damn bit of difference in this instance, but that doesn't mean they can't do it.

How is Hot Toys using them? :lol:lol:lol

Thanks Motuxmen.. Wow ... Didn't know that Hot Toys is making a Big Chap.. Like to have one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't get the complaining, particularly on Facebook, every time a new Iron Man comes out. Hot Toys have clearly committed to delivering a decent chunk of the Iron Man 3 suits. It only seems oversaturated to me when we get umpteen stealth or colour variations or different battle damage versions.. But people complaining that Sneaky is being released and somehow blaming it for Drax not getting released seems bizarre to me.

I also don't get the element of suprise each time a new one comes out. We "know" more are coming. It's like being suprised that Civil War figures are coming out and instead wanting The Martian figures or Mad Max figures. We know 12 months in advance that the MCU is Hot Toys hot property. No sense being shocked when at least Thor and Loki make it from the next Thor movie..

This argument...drug dealers? Really? Stupid.

And why can't I get it? Becuase it's BS. On a year to year basis more Star Wars figures are made them iron man. They have had the license for 1/5 the time and are only 20% behind in total figures. There are 10 or so batman figures so far. And two vehicles. And dio Piece. Throw in Alfred and the joker figures and Blake and Gordon and it's closer to 30. Or 2/3 of the iron man figures.

Yes there more iron man figures then any other. But someone has to be first. And iron man figures are barely in first. (I.e. Star Wars) closely followed by many other properties.

The argument about secondary characters has nothing to do with lots of iron man figures. First, he's a primary character. Second, he sells. Using the drug dealer line..you might as well call every single retailer on the planet drug dealers. They all push what is their best seller.

And if those people complaining about the iron man figures took a step back and understood economics and business and especially when it relates to hot toys they would see that iron mans high sales numbers and popularity has increased the other figures they get. Since iron man took off in hot toys sales they have nearly quadrupled the amount of other figures they sell. Like batman and Thor and predator and robocop and everything else. It's allowed them to increase production on everything. So instead of doing what the silly posts imply...it's actually helping the amount of other figures. Had iron man tanked for hot toys they would be aci or enterbay. A couple figures a year at lower quality. But since iron man is so popular it's allowed a massive increase in diversity or their portfolio.

Sorry, but he numbers say that hot toys only uses about 10% of its entire portfolio on iron man figures. So it's not nearly as "overproduced" or disproportionate to other licenses. And the numbers also reflect the fact that iron man has grown the company so that it produces more non iron man figures. So, do I understand the complaint? Yes, I understand it's flat wrong and is the opposite of the reality of what happens. And that's why I think it's silly. Not Becuase I don't understand.

Like Motu said, Iron Man is so popular. Especially in Asia. Try visit HK or Singapore then u'll understand.
Disneyland HK will opened up the Ironman ride in May this year. Why HK 1st, not any other Disneyland in the US? Thats because Ironman is really popular in HK.

Like Motu said, Iron Man is so popular. Especially in Asia. Try visit HK or Singapore then u'll understand.
Disneyland HK will opened up the Ironman ride in May this year. Why HK 1st, not any other Disneyland in the US? Thats because Ironman is really popular in HK.

Yeah, I really think popularity in Asia is the secret part of the equation we American collectors forget to factor in when we're trying to predict or analyze Hot Toys' figure choices. Iron Man armors are incredibly popular in Asia. Batman '66 (to take one example) is not. That's also part of the reason why Hot Toys hasn't picked up, say, the Buffy license. The world is a lot bigger than just the USA. I'm just thankful for all the great non-Iron Man Marvel figures we've gotten, like Captain America, and for classics like the Christopher Reeve Superman.

Would I still like a Buffy line? Yes. Will it happen? Alas, no.

I'm not denying that, but HT has been making figures long before Iron Man and had an established collector fan base because of their human figures. Those fans have been feeling neglected. That's all. I probably piled on HT a little to drive that point home.

And I don't think they make so many of these figures just cuz they're popular in Asia. It's the easiest license to make figures for because they don't have to do actor likenesses for each figure. They don't have to worry about getting approval for using an actor's face if they don't use it.

Hey man you said 50 out 0f 350 NOT ME SO THOSE were your numbers!!!!!! Just kidding man. I agree completely there are a lot more Iron mans cause well there are a lot more Iron mans....and they sell so there it is. And I definitely agree with bitching for the sake of bitching there is plenty of that in this hobby. Somebody will always have something negative to say whether or not there is any grounds. And some say stuff just for the sake of saying stuff....like me!:yess: By the way thanks for posting the pics.

I'm not denying that, but HT has been making figures long before Iron Man and had an established collector fan base because of their human figures. Those fans have been feeling neglected. That's all. I probably piled on HT a little to drive that point home.

And I don't think they make so many of these figures just cuz they're popular in Asia. It's the easiest license to make figures for because they don't have to do actor likenesses for each figure. They don't have to worry about getting approval for using an actor's face if they don't use it.

They don't have to get actor approval on 95% of all licnesses. Not how it works. Marvel approves all that. The same people approve iron man that approve Thor. Out of hot toys entire library only two actors I can think of have that level of approval...Jack and Sigorney. Outside of them it's the Fox xmen films and ONLY Becuase fox didn't aquire the actor rights up front (intentionally).

Downey doesn't have the ability to can a figure anymore them Hemsworth or Hiddleston(and in case you don't know not a single one of them has that right). Downeys deal is different in that he gets a cut of all merch. But that's it.

I see people bring up Collosus and YJ and others and say they should be easier Becuase they don't have actor likenesss issues. And it's just not how these work. Collosus is a bit unique only because of the aforementioned Fox likeness issues (and yes, even though he's cgi there's still rights attached). But let's leave him out of this for now. Iron man has the same licensing issues and complications that Thor or Black widow or Drax or every other character from every single MCU film. The diffence is that hot toys has access to the 3D design files so it's easier to match up. Sculpting a face is hard. Very very hard. But it has nothing to do with likeness issues with actors.

As for the point that hot toys had a well established customer base before iron man that's been neglected...did you not understand what I said? The pace of non iron man figures produced every year has QUADRUPLED since they started making iron man. So not only have they not neglected those people, they have actually focused even more on them. You asked why I couldn't get the argument...but it seems that you may be missing the reality of the situation due to some bias over iron man. Here's a simple breakdown...

Before iron man in 4 years (roughly) they made 75-100 figures not iron man. Since iron man took off roughly four years they have made 325-400 non iron man figures. So this customer base that was built in has been getting figures at 3-4 times the pre iron man pace. Despite the fact that during that period only there where 1 batman movie(or 1 DC) 2 predator/alien films and 1 terminator movie. The pre iron man customer base you brought up only had those licenses and Rocky/Rambo.

Anyway you slice it iron man has grown the amount, variety and quality of both the iron man and non iron man figures. And the non iron man figures have increased in number and ratio and percentage. The argument that iron man has in anyway taken away from other products has zero basis. There's no evidence or facts to support it.

Hey man you said 50 out 0f 350 NOT ME SO THOSE were your numbers!!!!!! Just kidding man. I agree completely there are a lot more Iron mans cause well there are a lot more Iron mans....and they sell so there it is. And I definitely agree with bitching for the sake of bitching there is plenty of that in this hobby. Somebody will always have something negative to say whether or not there is any grounds. And some say stuff just for the sake of saying stuff....like me!:yess: By the way thanks for posting the pics.

Actually I did not say that. Re read it. Lol 350 not iron man and 50 that are for a total of 400. So to do percentages it's out of 400. Ie 50/400 or 350/400 math...who knew you'd need it to understand collecting toys(or the posts of some idiot explaining it anyway ..and yes, the idiot I mean is me)

Anyway...your welcome. Try to get as much info as I can from my friends.

Silly comment. Out of 350 mms figures 300 are not iron man. Throw in the DX and VG and 1/4 and artist figures and it's like 350 not iron man and 50 that are. (And there are as many teased and not released ironman figures (blue steel, original stealth mk3) as any other line (one Mj, one loki, one joker, one xmen, one gotg..ect...) so this whole iron man is all make or favor Crap is just that, Crap. In two years Star Wars has almost caught iron man that was first released 8 years ago.

But who cares about reality and facts when you can make a one liner joke..

Man your posts are way too long. They hurt my brain.

Yeah I know. But when explaining things like this a one line joke may be easier to read but it's not accurate. And two paragraphs is hardly the stuff of novels.

Back