2008 Box Office

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going on the record and stating I liked Narnia.

But I also like Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, Last Unicorn, Neverending Story and all those other fantasy films geared towards kids, so I guess I'm biased. But I draw the line at the spiderwick chronicles. :lol

Ah, I loved Spiderwick! Way more than the Narnia films. I adore the Narnia books, but these new films feel very... cold?... for me. There are some old BBC mini series adaptations from the 80s/90s that were MUCH better. Not the best of effects, but much more inviting into the story. I think the new ones went way too BIG for the story and lost all their appeal.

Spiderwick was good fun for what it was - I saw it on Imax and really enjoyed the heck out of it. I'll be buying it for the kid, but not the new Narnias.

Ah, I loved Spiderwick! Way more than the Narnia films. I adore the Narnia books, but these new films feel very... cold?... for me. There are some old BBC mini series adaptations from the 80s/90s that were MUCH better. Not the best of effects, but much more inviting into the story. I think the new ones went way too BIG for the story and lost all their appeal.

Spiderwick was good fun for what it was - I saw it on Imax and really enjoyed the heck out of it. I'll be buying it for the kid, but not the new Narnias.

I enjoyed the Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, but I was pretty much bored while watching Prince Caspian. I definitely agree with your "cold" assessment.

You also have to factor in the changes in culture and technology... that affects things a lot. People used to go see movies because it was the best they would ever get to see, and unedited. There was no DVD or even VHS back even further, no surround sound or huge HD screens at home that you could sit back and wait to see it later. Things have changed immensely since the Jaws days, no matter how you look at it.

To have a list that can factor in all the changes would be impossible. Unless you actually went back in time and released the top 20 films at the same time to the same time periods crowds.

To argue this point is even more pointless.... I think we can all agree that to measure old films vs. new films with 100% accuracy and 100% box office calculations... is insanity and cannot be done with full certainty.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

And as for box office - basing it on dollars - or even popularity in the moment - is total BS. You can only do that for the current year, which is fine. But trying to compare the popularity of films that have been released 50+ years apart is ridiculous. Maybe if you combine total ticket NUMBERS (not dollars) with total number of DVDs and VHSs sold and rented over the years? No matter what though, I don't see many of the newer films becoming 'classics' and a huge part of our culture like Star Wars, Jaws, Gone With the Wind, etc. "Classic" to me has to do with the widest number of people seeing something, not the same people seeing it over and over and over and then having it lose it's 'crown' to the next big thing in 2 years or so.

For instance, Star Wars will always stand out to me as the most classic and successful of the classic films ever made for a few reasons (and I'm only talking about the ORIGINAL Star Wars here, forget everything else that's happened since then - and forget whether you're actually a SW fan or not :lol):

1) It's pure film. It was not a book, it was not a comic, it was not a part of culture at all - before the movie was released no one had any idea what the heck it was. IT HAD NO BUILT-IN AUDIENCE. It was a TOTAL risk, moreso than any other film. And now you would be VERY hard-pressed to find someone on the earth (within 100 miles of a TV or newspaper) that doesn't know who Darth Vader is... even if they HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE! Now, that's pretty amazing and no matter what we say about Lucas, we have to give him that - his combination of story-telling through film, his ingenious merchandising, and being smart with his IP is a case-study for success and I can't really see it ever being replicated to the same extent.

2) It's timeless. It's a story, like mythology and bible stories, that can be told in any culture, in any time, and still be relevant. Yeah, we may now laugh at some of the cheesy acting and effects, but overall, the story is pure and captivating. Movies like Wall-E, Iron Man, TDK rely heavily on the politics of the time. Yes, the superheroes themselves are timeless, but the stories told in these current films, and the way the characters are explored, are heavily reliant on the time in which they are released.

3) It explored brand new areas in the art of film-making - in both effects and cinematography. Yeah, the effects and cinematography in Iron Man and TDK are pretty amazing, but they're really nothing really new. They make you say, "OMFG, that's awesome! The suit looks so REAL!" but there is nothing in them that's a brand new experience like Star Wars was - for adults and kids alike. (The first time I felt that I was actually experiencing something new in cinema since Star Wars was during Jurassic Park, FOTR, and Titanic actually... but these were all books and/or well-known events before the film, so I don't really count them as classic 'films' as much as classic 'stories'.)

I also think ET is pretty classic and definitely belongs in the top-5 most popular movies of all time. Gone With the Wind... meh, that's one like Titanic... it's good, not great, but it definitely spoke very loudly to certain people - mainly women who love romance novels :lol

Last edited:
No matter what though, I don't see many of the newer films becoming 'classics' and a huge part of our culture like Star Wars, Jaws, Gone With the Wind, etc. "

I think there's been a ton of films that will go down as 'classics.' Hell "There Will Be Blood" will end up being the "Citizen Kane" of our generation. "Lord of the Rings" is this generations "Star Wars." "The Dark Knight" is the male's "Titanic," and this generations "Superman 78" Not to mention the majority of Pixars movies which some of the olders are already being considered classics and no doubt in my mind their newer films like "The Incredibles" and "Wall*E" will be up high on the pedestal of the Disney greats of old. "No Country for Old Men," almost all of Pedro Almodovar's films. "Amores Perros" is already considered by many to be one of the best films over the past few decades and it's only 8 years old. Throw in movies like "Silence of the Lambs" and "Se7en" and "Pulp Fiction" and...awww hell there's way to many to list. Point is, I think we've seen more classics in the past decade than the previous generations ever saw.

I'm a female, so I can say that :lol

Also, I can freely admit that I saw Titanic 3 times in the theaters and bawled every time, so I can definitely see why it made so much :rotfl To be fair, it also made me really interested in the history of the Titanic, so that's a plus and speaks well for a film when it makes you think of it outside the theater.

Last edited:
I think there's been a ton of films that will go down as 'classics.' Hell "There Will Be Blood" will end up being the "Citizen Kane" of our generation. "Lord of the Rings" is this generations "Star Wars." "The Dark Knight" is the male's "Titanic," and this generations "Superman 78" Not to mention the majority of Pixars movies which some of the olders are already being considered classics and no doubt in my mind their newer films like "The Incredibles" and "Wall*E" will be up high on the pedestal of the Disney greats of old. "No Country for Old Men," almost all of Pedro Almodovar's films. "Amores Perros" is already considered by many to be one of the best films over the past few decades and it's only 8 years old. Throw in movies like "Silence of the Lambs" and "Se7en" and awww hell there's way to many to list. Point is, I think we've seen more classics in the past decade than the previous generations ever saw.

My point is NOT popularity in the current time, but 'classic' - meaning, is it enduring? Will people (not film critics, but the general populace) in 30 years still know what you're talking about when you say "Amores Perros"? How do we know right now that they are "classics"? (this is NOT an argument about the *quality* of the films) If you can go up to someone on the street in 30 years and say the name of the film and spark a conversation about it, then yes, I will agree that it's a classic. We can guess and talk about it all we want, but no one will KNOW until time has passed.

For the record, I only see a few in your list that *I think* will pass the test of time on a grand scale like Jaws, Star Wars, etc. (again, meaning the majority of people will know what you're talking about when you mention it in 30 years): some Pixar films (the Toy Stories for sure), LOTR, and Silence of the Lambs

My only point of my previous post is that I think ANY film, no matter how critically 'good' it is, will have a hard time surpassing Star Wars (the ORIGINAL, not anything else) as a classic part of world culture. Like it or not, Star Wars is part of culture in a way that not many films have ever been or will be. Maybe another film will make more money in the current time, but that doesn't mean anything in the long run. It's the test of time that's the REAL test.

And another thing for the record, I COMPLETELY disagree about There Will Be Blood :lol :peace

Last edited:
Just face it everyone: TDK kicks your ass. Period. :lol

Is it more enjoyable than Star Wars, for me? Yes. Yes, it is.

Yep, I said it.

Does the fact that it will top SW in the BO mean that TDK will surpass SW in terms of "longevity" and take the title of "classic"? Absolutely not. It's just a good film. Damn good.

Is it the movie that makes it 'part' of the culture or its marketing?

I dont think Star Wars would be as pervasive if Lucas hadn't also been the first to exploit merchandising.

Similarly for movies like ET. Even Casablanca was marketed more than its peers.

Maybe the movie itself has little to do with how it invades the public conscience.

I'm not surprised.:monkey3

:lol Most of my 'film snob' buds agree with me - meaning they are somehow involved in the film industry, either as critics or as artists or as assistants (and I know more than a few). That movie is pretty overrated, IMHO. (yes, I did finally see it)

Here are my top 10 favorite films, for the record - so no one thinks that I ONLY like Star Wars, Iron Man, and Transformers :p (mostly these are simply films that I can watch over and over and over and still be just as entertained as the first time I saw them - and the order is negligible depending on my mood):

1) Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (original)
2) The Shawshank Redemption
3) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
4) Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
5) Pride and Prejudice (2005)
6) The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
7) Singin' in the Rain
8) Toy Story (both 1 & 2)
9) It's a Wonderful Life
10) Moulin Rouge

And Lord Akroyd, I totally agree about merchandising. That's why I included: "...no matter what we say about Lucas, we have to give him that - his combination of story-telling through film, his ingenious merchandising, and being smart with his IP is a case-study for success and I can't really see it ever being replicated to the same extent."

As far as that goes and as much as it may be true, if the story and film were not as appealing as they are, there's no way any amount of merchandising and marketing could get it to last over 30 years in the public conscious and get it nominated for an Academy Award. Just look at over-marketed and merchandised films such as Fantastic Four, The Hulk (2003), Speed Racer (again, NOT commenting on the *quality* of the film), etc, etc.

Last edited:
:lol Most of my 'film snob' buds agree with me - meaning they are somehow involved in the film industry, either as critics or as artists or as assistants (and I know more than a few)

Really? That's surprising. Different tastes for different people, I guess.

TWBB is without a doubt in my top 5, possibly top 3, of '08.

:lol Most of my 'film snob' buds agree with me - meaning they are somehow involved in the film industry, either as critics or as artists or as assistants (and I know more than a few). That movie is pretty overrated, IMHO. (yes, I did finally see it)

It's all good. Different strokes. For every 100 film snobs that get it, there's always 1 who prefers The Mummy 3. :chase :D

Actually The X-Files has made a decent profit.

Are we looking at the same X-Files movie? The new one, right? It's only made 2/3rds of it's budget back, and it's not even in the top 10 anymore after only 2 1/2 weeks in theaters. Pretty sure it has no chance of making ANY profit in theaters. MAYBE after rentals and DVD sales, but it will be miniscule.

Does anyone know if production budget also includes marketing costs? Because there were a ton of huge ads for it in downtown LA and West LA, which can't be cheap.

Again, poor X-Files. It was a great show up until the final few seasons.

Back