12" ROTS Anakin Skywalker WIP

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can also cure them in boiling water. Not as solid, but solid enough to make a mold.

Thanks with the Anakin too. I hope to finish the hair and have him under some silicone this weekend!

edit: I had to try my hand at that multiply thing, it's pretty cool!!!

DSCF0580.jpg

Last edited:
You can also cure them in boiling water. Not as solid, but solid enough to make a mold.

Thanks with the Anakin too. I hope to finish the hair and have him under some silicone this weekend!

edit: I had to try my hand at that multiply thing, it's pretty cool!!!

DSCF0580.jpg

your welcome! :D

yeah multiply will mix in the dark parts of your image, but leave out the light parts (the lighter a pixel is, the more transparent it will be and vice versa), so since the wrinkles and details of the sculpt are darkened by shadow, you can drop those shadows right over whatever color you like. This works well since your headsculpt is white, because otherwise, instead of colors "mulitplying" with white (which results in the color, like adding 0 darkness), it would add to something that was already darkened, so you would actually have to lighten your colors to compensate. Also, multiplying a color over another color (even if it is a relatively light color) will result in a mixing of colors that is different from either color by itself, and it will be the added (or multiplied?) darkness of each separate color (for example multiplying blue over red will result in a sort of dark brownish color, not purple).

hope that helps a little bit!

sometimes I like to pretend I'm the "photoshop guru" around here... but I'll bet Crimsonbob knows at least as much as I do, and last I heard Dorgs teaches people how to use it for a living! :lol

You're definitely getting the hang of it, try putting each color in a separate layer, that way you can adjust em later... you should also use softer brushes, and try masking the eyes (or making them a selection) before coloring them... If I had known you were doing sith Anakin:

unsunganakinsith.jpg

I added rudimentary eyebrows, just for good measure... thought he was missing something! :lol

PM me if you need any more photoshop help! ;)

EDIT:

I got a little bored, and I was feeling ambitious... here's what came from boredom and amitiousness! :D

unsunganakinsith2.jpg

Last edited:
Still working on the hair, but should be done by Sunday, which will put him under silicone. Once I get a cast made, I will sculpt the front hair piece. I'm trying to focus on him before I do more work on Maul, but even then, Maul should be done by next weekend or so.

Still working on the hair, but should be done by Sunday, which will put him under silicone. Once I get a cast made, I will sculpt the front hair piece. I'm trying to focus on him before I do more work on Maul, but even then, Maul should be done by next weekend or so.

ooh! Can't wait!

I may actually want one of the Anakin sculpts if your planning on selling them (or giving them out free! :naughty)... I don't have an EpIII anakin yet, was thinking of getting a Hasbro one and maybe fixing up the clothes, maybe putting the clothes on a SS Anakin body if I could find one on eBay, but now I think I'd like to use your HS instead... :D

ooh! Can't wait!

I may actually want one of the Anakin sculpts if your planning on selling them (or giving them out free! :naughty)... I don't have an EpIII anakin yet, was thinking of getting a Hasbro one and maybe fixing up the clothes, maybe putting the clothes on a SS Anakin body if I could find one on eBay, but now I think I'd like to use your HS instead... :D

I certainly wouldn't use the Hasbro clothing, the Sideshow stuff is much better. And, specifically if you find the tunic and tabbards from the SDCC version, they are even better. I know that there is a guy that sells a lot of the loose clothing on eBay, I'll have to look and see what his name is, but I know he has some Anakin stuff.

I certainly wouldn't use the Hasbro clothing, the Sideshow stuff is much better. And, specifically if you find the tunic and tabbards from the SDCC version, they are even better. I know that there is a guy that sells a lot of the loose clothing on eBay, I'll have to look and see what his name is, but I know he has some Anakin stuff.

Yeah, I saw some SS Anakin parts a few weeks ago... I'll have to see if I can get em for cheaper than a Hasbro fig... :D

so are you planning on selling your sculpt?

Yeah, I saw some SS Anakin parts a few weeks ago... I'll have to see if I can get em for cheaper than a Hasbro fig... :D

so are you planning on selling your sculpt?

Yes, I will be doing a small run of him, Maul and Qui-Gon. As I am about to post in the Qui-Gon thread, I'll have two to choose from of him. I have several on my plate, way to early to show is Episode I Obi-Wan and I've also started the resculpt of Weequay.

Just in case, this is the guy I was talking about...

https://myworld.ebay.com/evithasd7

ah yes, sir smollie... :lol

that's the one I was thought of...

Oh and BTW, I thought you might like to know, I dug up an old package of Sculpey III today I bought a couple years back, before I knew it could give me cancer... :lol

anyway, it has a way different consistency than the oil based clay I've been using... I sculpted the most realistic human nose I have ever sculpted.... but I've developed a love/hate relationship with Sculpey, because sometimes it's just too squishy! I can't add on little blobs of clay very well (not as well as the oil-based clay), because it's so hard to smooth the blobs into the rest of the clay, and after smoothing I find that I've squashed the entire thing in the process! I may be able to work with it a little better if I put it on a hard understructure of aluminum foil... I'll have to try that next!

Anyway, I've decided I won't bake the Sculpey clay until I get a portable electronic oven I can bake it in outside (to avoid all possibility of getting cancerous fumes in my house), but like the oil-based clay (which as you know, will never completely harden, no matter what you do to it really), I can simply mold and cast it while it's still soft, then re-use the clay for my next project once a mold is made. This way, I can continue to use a single pack of sculpey clay for a bunch of different things over the years! :naughty pretty cost effective if you ask me...

although I do need a portable oven, then I can fill the bubbles in my casts with sculpey and bake it...

Yes, I will be doing a small run of him, Maul and Qui-Gon. As I am about to post in the Qui-Gon thread, I'll have two to choose from of him. I have several on my plate, way to early to show is Episode I Obi-Wan and I've also started the resculpt of Weequay.

Darn! That was gonna be my next headsculpt... :monkey2

I'm so sick of getting my ideas stolen... like about a year ago I was thinking and I thought of an iPhone app that would be like the camera feature, only instead of being able to take pictures you would be looking at the world through it in real time... and it would darken the screen slightly and you could walk around with it in front of your face like sunglasses...

I was looking through the app store the other day, and lo and behold! There was the "sunglasses" app, for $1.99....

oh well...

Looking forward to seeing EpI Obi-Wan and the new Weeq!

You should definitely mix the Sculpey III with some Super Sculpey, the III is way too soft on it's own. And then Super Sculpey needs some color to it, as it is too translucent. Mix a wedge of III with the Super and it will be perfect. Nice and firm and has some good color to it. Most craft stores, like A.C. Moore and Michael's carry the Super Sculpey. I found Super Sculpey Firm on eBay, but now a local mom and pops type art supply store is carrying it so I don't have to order, which is nice. So, if you have a locally owned store like that, they may be able to order it for you.

And for Obi-Wan, just because I'm doing it shouldn't stop you from doing it too. And you had to have known it was coming...I just did Qui-Gon, Maul is almost done....had to have the trifecta going there!

You should definitely mix the Sculpey III with some Super Sculpey, the III is way too soft on it's own. And then Super Sculpey needs some color to it, as it is too translucent. Mix a wedge of III with the Super and it will be perfect. Nice and firm and has some good color to it. Most craft stores, like A.C. Moore and Michael's carry the Super Sculpey. I found Super Sculpey Firm on eBay, but now a local mom and pops type art supply store is carrying it so I don't have to order, which is nice. So, if you have a locally owned store like that, they may be able to order it for you.

And for Obi-Wan, just because I'm doing it shouldn't stop you from doing it too. And you had to have known it was coming...I just did Qui-Gon, Maul is almost done....had to have the trifecta going there!

yeah, I knew he was coming... or I presumed he was... was just hoping maybe I could beat you to it while you were still busy with Maul and Anakin... :rolleyes:

yeah actually I just got back from a shopping trip, picked up some Sculpey Firm at Michael's (which, now that I think of it was playing Michael Jackson music.... hmmm)... Anyway, I wish they had it in a smaller package, $15 for a pound! :horror Well since I won't be baking it, and I can re-use it almost infinitely, it's worth it I suppose...

hey the dude person, just letting you know soon Ill be doing full jedi outfits that will be much cheaper than piecing together one from ebay especially with shipping and all (those guys never combine shipping:banghead).

Anyhow I wasn't intending to do Anakin but I got the mats for him along with about any jedi or combo of colors and such people could want. So if your not in to much of a hurry, they are coming up soon.

hey the dude person, just letting you know soon Ill be doing full jedi outfits that will be much cheaper than piecing together one from ebay especially with shipping and all (those guys never combine shipping:banghead).

Anyhow I wasn't intending to do Anakin but I got the mats for him along with about any jedi or combo of colors and such people could want. So if your not in to much of a hurry, they are coming up soon.

Oh cool! Yeah I'd definitely consider getting Anakin robes from you... that would be awesome! Then I could get the Anakin head from unsung, and have an entirely custom-made Anakin from EpIII! I'd like that... :D

Unsung, I'm really happy you told me you were using sculpey firm, cuz I've been playing with it and I'm having a blast! I pinched off a chunk, made it into a cube, and before I knew it I was making some sort of 1/6 communicator! The level of detail you can get with it is simply amazing, and using one or 2 tools I got great details, like a tiny speaker, and even a little power outlet! Next thing I know, I'm in a trance-like state, and when I came out of it, I had a 1/6 scale replica of my camcorder sitting in front of me! :lol

It's great stuff, never knew it existed before!

Quick update. I did get the hair finished, but since I had so much family stuff yesterday, I wasn't able to get the mold started. I did, however, get a quick alginate mold of the face and poured up a quick garbage cast so I could sculpt the bangs. So, that is also done and cured. Molds start tonight. Here are two quick and kinda blurry pics.

DSCF0588.jpg

DSCF0587.jpg

hmmm... the new part of the hair doesn't look right to me... it seems kinda weird, clumping together in equal amounts almost like dreadlocks in front of his face... I always thought it should be more together and swept over to the side like this:

starwars3_02.jpg

sorry unsung, just looks kinda unnatural to me... :huh

Back