12" is not stopped

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You sir, are wrong.

This is a money issue. The figs aren't selling. You really think we're gonna see a Merry and Pippen with how poorly the Sam and Frodo figures sold :rotfl

Sad, but oh so very true.
Same with Gandalf, if these characters don't sell, what the hell chance do the others have.
The problem is due to a balls up with licensing/timing these are all hitting at a time when the hardcore fans want them, but can't afford them due to the ecomomy, and the more casual buyer who would ave hoovered these up directly after the release of the movies has lost interest. Bit of a lose-lose situation.
I want Gandalf but I know I'll be able to pick him up for a song in a couple of months, where as something like BR Joker just 'HAS' to be bought now, unless I want to sell an organ and buy it further down the line.

Although it would be hilarious if the line wasn't really on hold and every body panicked... I know I've spent money aquiring a ToyBiz and DiD figures because of it :lol

I did too, but even if they do come out with more figures, it might not be Gimli anyway. It'll probably take me till they come out with a Gimli for me to bash one up! :lol

Dunno if they've stopped the LOTR 12" line, but it seems to me Sideshow is slowly stopping ANY 12" line! It's been a long time since I've been thrilled by something new in that category! What do they produce anymore? Star Wars figs? Wow cool! how trendy! The rest is just a once in a while Indy or Zombies variants... nothing really new here... Sideshow seems to have lost their edge... :(

Sad, but oh so very true.
Same with Gandalf, if these characters don't sell, what the hell chance do the others have.
The problem is due to a balls up with licensing/timing these are all hitting at a time when the hardcore fans want them, but can't afford them due to the ecomomy, and the more casual buyer who would ave hoovered these up directly after the release of the movies has lost interest. Bit of a lose-lose situation.
I want Gandalf but I know I'll be able to pick him up for a song in a couple of months, where as something like BR Joker just 'HAS' to be bought now, unless I want to sell an organ and buy it further down the line.

Yes and no. Calling BR Joker a "must have" is debatable. TDK is a new line and people already have years invested in the LOTR line. So it really depends on which line you like more. As much as I like the TDK line, if money were an option, which it isn't, I'd pass on a BR Joker, or starting to even collect that line in a heartbeat, to pick up a Sideshow Glimli, Merry and Pippin. I'm already committed to this line and want to see it, well at least the Fellowship, through.

EDIT: Something Sideshow should consider. All the money being dumped on ebaY right now to pick up the necessary parts for a custom Glimli is money they could be raking in by producing one. While it might seem like small numbers now... just wait.

There are 3 types a people in here

1) Doomsayers

2) Optimists

3) Realists

I would rather be a realist than any of the others. Whats a realist? I think we won't see another 1:6 LOTR fig until at least The Hobbit.

I too have spent money on DiD Gimli and will eventually by the TB Gimlis, but I hope I have jinxed myself and they announce a 1:6 version soon.

:date

I too have spent money on DiD Gimli and will eventually by the TB Gimlis, but I hope I have jinxed myself and they announce a 1:6 version soon.

Better safe than sorry.

The recent rash of DiD Gimli purchases is gonna make finding a Gimli very hard in the months to come, and who knows when SS is going to release the hold on LOTR... I say, for the cost of a bash, it's worth having Gimli NOW instead of maybe somewhere down the line in 2009 or 2010.

Think of it this way, even if they announce Gimli tomorrow, it would be 9 months before you'd have him in hand... so you got a year's wait at the very least.

There are 3 types a people in here

1) Doomsayers

2) Optimists

3) Realists

I would rather be a realist than any of the others. Whats a realist? I think we won't see another 1:6 LOTR fig until at least The Hobbit.

Ah, so this is where all my fellow "realists" hang out. Abandonded all hope in the Star Wars threads eh? :rotfl

As to Glimli, here's how I see it. Everybody who bought the other Sideshow Fellowship members will be looking to complete them or sell what they have. I'd pick him up now, while you can still get all the parts for a great kitbash for less than a Sideshow version would cost. It won't be long before people wisen up to why he's so popular and start listing that DiD Glimli (who's already hard to score) with a 3-digit price, with the ToyBix 12" "soft" quick to follow suit thanks to good old fashioned supply and demand. God, I can't imagine forking over $50 for the rotocast. But mark my words, it'll get that high.

Yes and no. Calling BR Joker a "must have" is debatable. TDK is a new line and people already have years invested in the LOTR line. So it really depends on which line you like more. As much as I like the TDK line, if money were an option, which it isn't, I'd pass on a BR Joker, or starting to even collect that line in a heartbeat, to pick up a Sideshow Glimli, Merry and Pippin. I'm already committed to this line and want to see it, well at least the Fellowship, through.

EDIT: Something Sideshow should consider. All the money being dumped on ebaY right now to pick up the necessary parts for a custom Glimli is money they could be raking in by producing one. While it might seem like small numbers now... just wait.

You make a good point. I love both Bats and LOTR, but though not unique I'm one of those who collect purely because I love 1/6 scale, if it's a license I'm into then all the better. But I'd rather have what I consider to be a state of the art piece from a line I'm not so into, than a 'less than acceptable' one from a line I 'should' really want, sadly Frodo and Sam fell into this catagory (and those oh so visible split shins are unforgivable on a character with visable legs:banghead).
Then you have figures like the new Go Heroes, Buck Rogers that actually fit into both camps, win-win!:naughty

Think of it this way, even if they announce Gimli tomorrow, it would be 9 months before you'd have him in hand... so you got a year's wait at the very least.

Very true, having a Gimli Stand-in now really doesn't hurt anything.

Very true, having a Gimli Stand-in now really doesn't hurt anything.

Correct-o-mundo!

Even having a non-bashed DiD or Toy-Biz Gimli displayed by the SS figs really looks fine.

But just to beat the old nag, better pick up your Gimli soon (as TheNam suggested...)

My brother came in and saw DiD Gimli next to Legolas and Gandalf and exclaimed "Thats not a dwarf! He is too huge!"

Sideshow Brant - who is up there in the management structure at Sideshow said that the LotR 12" line was "on hold" during the Spook chat. Those of us who are experienced with SSC lingo know that this is a final an answer we'll ever get about whether new items will come out in a particular line while they still hold the license.

Ask them about Planet of the Apes 12" - it's "on hold". Buffy & Angel? "on hold." Doesn't matter that it's been 3 or 4 years since a new figure was announced - it's never dead - just "on hold."

Unless they lose the license there will never be an official "it's dead" announcement and not even then unless specifically asked.

Personally I don't want the them to say that the line is dead - as long as they have the license there's a possibility that the situation could change and it could start up again. If they publicly say that there will not be any more releases it could make them look foolish if they then decide to continue it.

Of course, both Brant and Jeff are members here - if they'd like to clarify I'm sure we'd all appreciate some closure.

Last edited:
I have to admit, I bought the full DiD line up when they came out, the sculpts are pretty ropey by todays standards, but the outfits and accessories are sublime, in the packaging was a small pamphlet showing the proposed second wave of figures, including Saruman and a bunch of Orc's, such a pitty they never saw the light of day. I guess the writing was on the wall for SST!

Sideshow Brant - who is up there in the management structure at Sideshow said that the LotR 12" line was "on hold" during the Spook chat. Those of us who are experienced with SSC lingo know that this is a final an answer we'll ever get about whether new items will come out in a particular line while they still hold the license.

Ask them about Planet of the Apes 12" - it's "on hold". Buffy & Angel? "on hold." Doesn't matter that it's been 3 or 4 years since a new figure was announced - it's never dead - just "on hold."

Unless they lose the license there will never be an official "it's dead" announcement and not even then unless specifically asked.

Of course, both Brant and Jeff are members here - if they'd like to clarify I'm sure we'd all appreciate some closure.

Don't they eat dinner at your house every other weekend Dave? Couldn't you just ask them then? :monkey3

This Line has so much potential!!! But Nooo!!!! Damn you SS!!! :( 3 more figs!!! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back