1/6th Scale Sideshow Hoth Luke Skywalker (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeez - just compared your dyed pic with the undyed pic (same lighting) from several days ago - wow what a difference. The undyed is sort of a grey/taupe without much hint of that slightly salmon tan it should be.

And bummer - the Rit dye I have is taupe. I'll bill SSC for the newly purchased tan dye.

Great job on the vest. How did SIdeshow miss this? ( blatantly wrong color)

Oh, just putting this out there for long-term angling...

If anyone comes across a decent body of comparable size to Hot Toys slim (ttm22) at a nice price, please update the thread. The lowest prices I can find for a good looking slim "custom body" (aka essentially a clone of HT's) is about $40.

OR... Can anyone verify what the Kumik slim is like? That one's available for about $25, but the photos I'm looking at don't look as similar to TTM22 as I'd hope.
(EDIT: found a thread here on the forum about the Kimik - not quite so slim. https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...5-kumik-base-body-caucasian-slim-version.html)

Last edited:
Some progress. Painted, dyed. Futzing and weathering next... I did a snow test on binoculars..
2_zps5atnuzaq.jpg

1_zpse9zhlwpy.jpg

Just 3 - 4 minutes in near boiling water, very easy. Check it at intervals, it really soaks up the dye, so be careful it doesn't get too dark.

Hey Rory, did you swap out the head with the Hot Toys Luke?

I got mine today....I think this figure is getting a much worse rap then it deserves....I think they nailed the sculpt and in person...the eyes look really good....not nearly as glassy as in photos (with flash)? My one complaint is the blaster strap on mine won't close, as if the magnet is too far up on the strap (blaster is in as far is it will go). Has anyone else noticed that?

I recommend this figure.....wholeheartedly.

20150325_194046_zps3cryi5pn.jpg

20150325_194348_zpss0czb0te.jpg

20150325_194400_zpsd41wra3m.jpg

20150325_194413_zpsvpcopgdy.jpg

20150325_194637_zpsvvyvxepu.jpg

20150325_194332_zpsds2qwmjx.jpg

I got mine today....I think this figure is getting a much worse rap then it deserves....I think they nailed the sculpt and in person...the eyes look really good....not nearly as glassy as in photos (with flash)? My one complaint is the blaster strap on mine won't close, as if the magnet is too far up on the strap (blaster is in as far is it will go). Has anyone else noticed that?

I recommend this figure.....wholeheartedly.

Yeah, I do sometimes think this forum is becoming obsessed with how a headsculpt looks under 5-10 magnification in macro pics rather than how it appears from a normal viewing distance on the shelf. It's always a bit magic to see those massive macro pics when the head is really well done, but no one actually views the item that way - they sit on a shelf and people stand at 2-4 feet away from it. (feel free to ignore my sig.:lol)

The more I'm messing with the figure the more I like it... the Pro 1.1 is a real head scratcher. Not only is it taller, but it has broader shoulders which just doesn't work for Luke. The following shots are of the figure on a DX07 body with DX Indy gloves.

The height is nearly identical between the DX07 and Pro 1.1... but since the DX07 is slimmer in the chest and arms it works better with the outfit. Although the gapping is still present, just not as much. I think it's a case of the snaps being a touch large and poorly placed, I may relocate them a bit to fix this issue.

DX07 Body, Indy DX Gloves
672e0998-70db-4280-91fa-1677b88a5614_zpsmxr5gaux.jpg

DX07 Body, Indy DX Gloves
1163edda-7ada-40e3-9b64-9843473dbc9e_zps5h3pwm8i.jpg

The DX07 head does not look so good on the Hoth body... and side-by-side it's a better quality sculpt, but honestly the Sideshow likeness is much stronger.

DX07 Body & Head, Indy DX Gloves
b686d2db-f314-4b9b-8068-39753a8dff73_zpsqalz7e8k.jpg

3b0726e5-e932-4ee5-a877-e6cbfe141f7e_zpsytrrsddw.jpg

Last two are using the Hoth or DX07 head on the DX07 figure.

DX07 w/Hoth Head
dc020e18-137c-4a1e-9574-da937cdefd25_zpsccvigkex.jpg

Stock DX07
86f43432-8b5c-45b3-815f-fff13c644e4f_zpsrnzk2ac8.jpg

I'm honestly a bit surprised how much I like these new Luke sculpts... especially the regular one after reshaping the jaw a bit. I just wish the eyes were less shocked... had that not been the case I think it'd have been a clear winner. Luckily with the helmeted head there is enough of a shadow cast from the helmet that the eyes are a non-issue.

Oh, and I wanted to try the DX hair on the Hoth head... but I'd need to do major surgery to make that happen. I think it might look good, but not something I feel like messing with :lol

Yeah, I do sometimes think this forum is becoming obsessed with how a headsculpt looks under 5-10 magnification in macro pics rather than how it appears from a normal viewing distance on the shelf. It's always a bit magic to see those massive macro pics when the head is really well done, but no one actually views the item that way - they sit on a shelf and people stand at 2-4 feet away from it. (feel free to ignore my sig.:lol)

What is this madness? Unless a headsculpt, shot with a macro lens and blown up to life-size using a 55" screen, is identicle to a life photo, it's a total fail. Unless there's a Hot Toys logo on the box, then it's ok.

Nah the Hot Toys head looks better.

I think the HT head is more realistic... but doesn't look like Mark Hammil, at least not from ESB. The Sideshow really does look like him, but is not as refined.

It's a case of 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. But at least for the Sideshow Hoth figure I'm pleased, especially since I can use the regular head to replace my Sideshow Bespin Luke's head.

Frankly NONE of them really look like Hamill but having both in hand myself, I'll take the realistic slightly angry looking Luke over the cartoonish "dumbfounded" looking Luke. I think Rory's Luke looks superb.

Hot Toys has done it again, look at the great paint on this guy. As far as the sculpt goes, this may as well be Hank Solo 2.0, it's virtually unrecognizable.

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 7.24.52 PM.jpg

Until I have this in hand I can't say 100% for sure which sculpt I prefer but I have yet to see a side by side of the HT Luke where the SS Luke doesn't look like a cartoon character version to me. It really reminds me of the Clone Wars Anakin they made.

Maybe it's just the fact that HT's is more realistic like GB mentioned. That may be what's drawing me to it more than SS's.

Until I have this in hand I can't say 100% for sure which sculpt I prefer but I have yet to see a side by side of the HT Luke where the SS Luke doesn't look like a cartoon character version to me. It really reminds me of the Clone Wars Anakin they made.

Maybe it's just the fact that HT's is more realistic like GB mentioned. That may be what's drawing me to it more than SS's.

It is definitely more realistic... and it does photograph a bit better. I know I sound like an apologist, but in hand it does not look as cartoony (which is a fair description) but the HT still looks more like a real person, I just don't know who that person is :lol

One last set of photos... for now.

Luke on the Pro 1.0. I think an issue is the neck on Hoth Luke is really long, the regular head looked awful when i tried it out, so I will see if swapping in a regular neck plug might help the overall look But the helmeted head seemed to look fine :huh I kind of like the proportions of the 1.0 better than the DX07 body. Slightly shorter arms and a bit thicker of a build seem to work well with the outfit and head sizes.

52770386-2f7a-4b3c-8ea8-433791294dc8_zpsfhe5sj2v.jpg

And a comparison between the 1.1, 1.0 and DX07 bodies:

ed529bdc-91cf-4455-adbf-d28b9025e851_zpsfxlyz3t3.jpg

Sideshow just needs to ditch the Pro. Period. Given their relationship with Hot Toys I just don't understand why they both don't use the same standardized Hot Toys Truetypes on EVERYTHING. Sideshow has always been like little brother to Hot Toys and they think they can charge just as much now for these figures when the difference in quality between them is staggering.

Going by that last body shot, the Kumik Slim may actually work pretty well as a replacement body - design queues of the HT TTM and wider build of the Pro1.0

Sideshow just needs to ditch the Pro. Period. Given their relationship with Hot Toys I just don't understand why they both don't use the same standardized Hot Toys Truetypes on EVERYTHING. Sideshow has always been like little brother to Hot Toys and they think they can charge just as much now for these figures when the difference in quality between them is staggering.

I will say this... I'm happy to see this particular Pro body (while being the wrong size for Luke) is very well made. Tight joints, normal friction knees (not ratchet or rubber). It held poses well and is a very solid body.

The TT is still a superior body, so I don't disagree with you on that one, but at least the quality of the body we got with Luke was good. And I guess if Han really is on the 1.0 then I can just swap them out and call it a day :lol

A funny point though, is the ankle joints used on the DX07 are the same as the ones for the Pro body... so if you do want to swap in that body it's easy peasy... with the exception of the neck joint. I think you'd have to swap out the ball inside the body as it's smaller than the standard ones used or even ones used on regular slims.

Back