1/6th Scale Sideshow Hoth Luke Skywalker (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you put the SSC Luke head on the HT Bespin body? Curious to see.

Not easily...DX-07 has the head-neck combo, Hoth Luke a separate neck.

Sigh, if it wasn't for the creepy eyes, I'd say the Sideshow wins as far as best Luke likeness. But given the sculpts as is... I think I'd much rather have a HT Luke.

Hard to say how good this likeness could have been...hairpiece is a realism killer at the same level (if not worse) of the bug eyes, IMHO.
But I agree that judging the final product I'll go HT all the way.

Not easily...DX-07 has the head-neck combo, Hoth Luke a separate neck.

Hard to say how good this likeness could have been...hairpiece is a realism killer at the same level (if not worse) of the bug eyes, IMHO.
But I agree that judging the final product I'll go HT all the way.

Oh, that's right. Forgot about the necks on the HT Lukes.

It's so weird that on both the HT and the SSC Lukes, the hairpiece was a realism (and maybe even likeness) killer. Hair seems like such a background detail but obviously not.

The SSC hair is an odd sculpt - it seems too "blocky" somehow, not the way natural hair would hang.

But jeez - if those eyes could be tweaked and the hair redone a bit, the SSC would be great. It really does look like Hamill.

The SSC hair is an odd sculpt - it seems too "blocky" somehow, not the way natural hair would hang.

It's natural for 79/80 with a lot of hairspray and blow drying. ;)

The eyes don't bother me nearly as much as the smile. I think it looks like Hamill, I'd just prefer a different expression for posing - it's unnatural for sitting on the Tauntaun or fighting, or firing a gun, etc..

It's natural for 79/80 with a lot of hairspray and blow drying. ;)

The eyes don't bother me nearly as much as the smile. I think it looks like Hamill, I'd just prefer a different expression for posing - it's unnatural for sitting on the Tauntaun or fighting, or firing a gun, etc..

The mouth is an odd look for Luke - he's almost always a little slack-jawed with teeth showing. Maybe it's why the BD HT head works better than the non-BD head.

This SSC head has a slight Rob Lowe vibe to it, complete with smarmy smirk.

And I know the hairstyle - just not sure things like that rectangular chunk of hair over the forehead is working in the realism department.

Here's mine. Luke's face is too dark. Doesn't really show in these pictures because my phone is colour correcting (it thinks) Reminds me of the first Indy PF they did where he kinda looked East Indian.

Still really love this set up though.

Hangin upside down:
Luke4_zpsyrnkuz5f.jpg

BD HS looks perfect upside down. If Sideshow ever offer a Wampa, they gotta include a hanging base for Luke. Hell, they could even sell it as a separate dio.

If you have any doubts about Hoth Luke or Tauntaun, do it! This piece is by far my most favourite! I'm going to do a Hoth display for sure…

IMG_0233.JPG

Got Luke in today... I'm generally pleased with him. I haven't checked which body I have yet, but he seems like a standard (so too tall) body, but just looking at the figure I think he turned out pretty good. I really like the head with the helmet, but for some reason the other head has a bit of a mannequin appearance. It's a solid sculpt, but something with the shape and cheeks seems a bit too symmetrical and smooth.

The eyes, while a bit too open actually look good in hand. They seem well aligned and have a pretty high quality look to the iris and pupil... much nicer than the weird star pattern on the Snake Plissken eye.

Only thing I really am not digging is the lightsaber blade... it's kind of dull and the "sparkles" look more like an error than something intentional. And the bottom of the blade is kind of rough, I'm guessing it was intentional to give it a look of being ignited, or maybe it's an error. But either way it looks bad. I prefer the original style of blades Sideshow used. On the plus side the hilts look great, very crisp sculpts and paint applications... same with the blaster and binoculars.

So, while there are a few disappointments, overall he seems like a pretty solid figure. I may post a full review in a few days when I've had more time to digest him.

BD HS looks perfect upside down. If Sideshow ever offer a Wampa, they gotta include a hanging base for Luke. Hell, they could even sell it as a separate dio.

Gotta agree... it looks kind of odd in-hand, but upside down it makes sense. Wonder if it was sculpted with that intention :huh

Got Luke in today... I'm generally pleased with him. I haven't checked which body I have yet, but he seems like a standard (so too tall) body, but just looking at the figure I think he turned out pretty good. I really like the head with the helmet, but for some reason the other head has a bit of a mannequin appearance. It's a solid sculpt, but something with the shape and cheeks seems a bit too symmetrical and smooth.

The eyes, while a bit too open actually look good in hand. They seem well aligned and have a pretty high quality look to the iris and pupil... much nicer than the weird star pattern on the Snake Plissken eye.

Only thing I really am not digging is the lightsaber blade... it's kind of dull and the "sparkles" look more like an error than something intentional. And the bottom of the blade is kind of rough, I'm guessing it was intentional to give it a look of being ignited, or maybe it's an error. But either way it looks bad. I prefer the original style of blades Sideshow used. On the plus side the hilts look great, very crisp sculpts and paint applications... same with the blaster and binoculars.

So, while there are a few disappointments, overall he seems like a pretty solid figure. I may post a full review in a few days when I've had more time to digest him.

Gotta agree... it looks kind of odd in-hand, but upside down it makes sense. Wonder if it was sculpted with that intention :huh

Good to hear. I really hope the helmetless head can be tweaked somehow. Despite all the issues, it still looks good - and looks like Hamill.

I am considering some kind of a display where he'd be upside down. I only have one Hasbro Taun (which I'm going to reboot) so I think Han may get that - not sure yet.

Hey Fremen that looks awesome i can wait to get mine. One thing that i have been noticing is in the head gear radio there is no antenna, but when i look at the movie still he has an antenna. did it break off?

I noticed that too. I just figured he came without one. Guess I'll go back a couple of pages and look at others to see if mine broke off.

So, I could use some opinions on this... I did the Drake reshape on Luke. Essentially pulled apart the head, shaved down the plate and then pinched the jowls back. I think it looks better/more like Hamill now, but I might just be trying to convince myself :lol and of course I neglected to take a before.

0a18b1b7-d45f-4014-83a9-9afbec6c8758_zpsduzmijln.jpg

And if anyone is curious, what the head looks like in pieces and how much of the plate I removed... before it completely filled the recess in the sculpt.

1ada05a0-cdf1-483d-a065-92251ecefdf5_zps117iqzoz.jpg

e71f8b16-4740-4df3-be91-c8f8c5c860e3_zps9vtvplxc.jpg

How does the belt/holster, blaster and saber match up to the HT versions?

The belt and holster look great... a more supple material than the old ESB Sideshow figure. I'd say pretty comparable to the HT version. Quality of the blaster and hilts is very nice as well... but the saber blade is funky.

Well i saw the revie on you tube from Da bomb show and theirs have it on. you might look in the box to see if its separate or just broke off.

Hey Fremen that looks awesome i can wait to get mine. One thing that i have been noticing is in the head gear radio there is no antenna, but when i look at the movie still he has an antenna. did it break off?

The figure has two antennas.. they are small, silver and in a recessed square below the BD head. I almost didn't notice them, but recall another member commenting on how easy they'd be to loose :lol

Back