1/6 UJINDOU U.S. Military Assistance Command, Vietnam – Studies and Observations Group (MACV-SOG) Recon Team 1-0, Laos, 1967

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He looks great.

Thanks. :)

Question: one one of my bashes, it’s a PITA to get the pants into the boots. On reference photos, almost all of them had the pants tucked into the boot tops.

Was it regulation/SOP for uniforms? Optional? Meant to keep snakes and bugs away from yer junk?

Just wondering since his pant cuffs are untucked, for lack of a better word. I just feel your pain on putting all the stuff on. That was my spirit breaker on my LRRP. It was miserable trying to get the pants in in a way that didn’t have my LRRP looking like he had a heart condition from ankle swelling

I tried tucking the trousers into the boots, since as you mentioned it seems like a good think to do in a jungle to stop things going up your legs (!), but the boots were too tight at the top. I should've tucked them in before tightening the laces. I could probably still do it with tweezers.

I tucked his trousers into the boots.

It took around half an hour of loosening the laces, tucking, adjusting, and tightening the laces.

IMG_1083.JPG

I don't know how Ujindou managed to get his boots laced so tightly in their promo photos, because the thickness of the trousers naturally makes the boots bulge at the top. They must've barely tucked them in, and not all the way round - just enough to secure them so they could be bloused.

Another solution just came to me as I was typing. You can blouse them without tucking at all, by simply folding the trousers inside themselves, which is what I've done in the past when it was impossible to get the material inside plastic boots. But too late now as I've done it the hard way already. :lol

It looks great, man. Nice work. It’s a bugger to do it, for sure. I know I’ve about lost my mind trying.

Looks great @Asta

I PO’d one from Timewalker but decided on another from eBay. I’ve tried - now TWICE - to get the Osprey Green Beret in Vietnam book from Amazon but it somehow never makes it here…

Did you do any sort of water treatment here?

Thanks. :)

I PO’d one from Timewalker but decided on another from eBay. I’ve tried - now TWICE - to get the Osprey Green Beret in Vietnam book from Amazon but it somehow never makes it here…

You can usually find free downloadable pdf versions of Osprey books, but that one seems difficult to track down.

No, I didn't use any water.

Since I received him I lost interest in the period, so he and the two girls have been exiled to a high shelf. The only item of interest was his Grease Gun, which I gave to a WWII figure.

Looks great @Asta

You’d might as well get Vietnam Warriors (Service With Honor Library), which is super discounted at $5.10 as a new book on Amazon plus $3.99 shipping, which combines in one hardcover the three Osprey books: US INFANTRYMAN IN VIETNAM, GREEN BERET IN VIETNAM and US MARINE RIFLEMAN IN VIETNAM, all illustrated by Gordon Rottman. Only one left at that price!

You’d might as well get Vietnam Warriors (Service With Honor Library), which is super discounted at $5.10 as a new book on Amazon plus $3.99 shipping, which combines in one hardcover the three Osprey books: US INFANTRYMAN IN VIETNAM, GREEN BERET IN VIETNAM and US MARINE RIFLEMAN IN VIETNAM, all illustrated by Gordon Rottman. Only one left at that price!
Thank you! On it!

This is where I landed. I’m working on a post-Tet, black pajamas MACVSOG version next. @Asta that rig pissed me off so much that I used a WW2 Dixon version that looked similar enough but with better clips…
View attachment 673475

Looks really good!

I find the ALICE clips at this scale fiddly. Trying to align the pin to slide it into the slot, and then have one come apart while doing another. As with ACE's figures I appreciate the authenticity, but once assembled you never actually see the clips again.

I decided to make a start on him and ended up almost finishing him despite some major frustration in the middle.

I spent ages trying to get the front suspender straps short enough so they'd hook onto the belt at the right height, and failed. I had to fudge it and tuck the straps down unconnected. Even if I could've shortened them enough there's no guarantee they'd have stayed hooked in because they kept falling out during testing.

Managed to get the rear straps right, and since they have spring clips, as the real thing does on the back, they're secure.

Everything slid onto the belt with loops apart from the four water bottles, which had to be fastened with sliding ALICE clips. Haven't had to do them since the Ace Vietnam girls .

The Ujindou actually felt like it might've been an Ace figure due to the quality of most of the parts.

I gave him the Hot Toys DX11 Joker Smith & Wesson M76, so I could give his Grease Gun to the Ujindou Big Red One. (The Big Red One gave his Thompson to the Ujindou Chindit, which was a massive upgrade to the Hot Toys Captain America version he was using).

View attachment 661454View attachment 661455View attachment 661456View attachment 661457

What did you hook the front hooks of the shoulder harness into ? The hooks seem too large to fit into the eyelets of the belt

I tucked his trousers into the boots.

It took around half an hour of loosening the laces, tucking, adjusting, and tightening the laces.

View attachment 661991

I don't know how Ujindou managed to get his boots laced so tightly in their promo photos, because the thickness of the trousers naturally makes the boots bulge at the top. They must've barely tucked them in, and not all the way round - just enough to secure them so they could be bloused.

Another solution just came to me as I was typing. You can blouse them without tucking at all, by simply folding the trousers inside themselves, which is what I've done in the past when it was impossible to get the material inside plastic boots. But too late now as I've done it the hard way already. :lol

what did you hook the front hooks of the shoulder harness into ? Currently working on getting this figure together and The eyelets on the belt seem too small for the hooks that are on the front of the harness...

what did you hook the front hooks of the shoulder harness into ? Currently working on getting this figure together and The eyelets on the belt seem too small for the hooks that are on the front of the harness...

I ended up not connecting them at all:

I spent ages trying to get the front suspender straps short enough so they'd hook onto the belt at the right height, and failed. I had to fudge it and tuck the straps down unconnected. Even if I could've shortened them enough there's no guarantee they'd have stayed hooked in because they kept falling out during testing.

Managed to get the rear straps right, and since they have spring clips, as the real thing does on the back, they're secure.

Back