1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently change my sideshow exclu vader stock body to HT roadblock body. It works wonder and the scale is quite accurate about 33cm ish..
Now I'm satisfied with my vader..
Big shout out to my friend: Victor Hugo Sousa for the tips and pointers along the way, thank u buddy.

FullSizeRender_zpschxbx4xx.jpg

Recently change my sideshow exclu vader stock body to HT roadblock body. It works wonder and the scale is quite accurate about 33cm ish..
Now I'm satisfied with my vader..
Big shout out to my friend: Victor Hugo Sousa for the tips and pointers along the way, thank u buddy.

View attachment 246875

That look amazing

can you show me what you do to neck of the ht roadblock body?

While waiting for HT Old Ben and Leia to arrived. I decided to cut down some height on Sideshow Darth Vader.

Sight_2016_02_28_144612_068 (2).jpg

I used HT Darth Vader as a height reference since I'm not gonna touch the HT version.
I put some more muscles on his thigh, biceps and deltoids using Tamiya Epoxy putty
and a bit of foam padding on the sides of the groin area.

I still need to shorten the forearm so it will be the same length as the HT version.

Finally finished modding my kitbash SS ESB Vader! All stock SS ANH Vader except for Hot Toys helmet

Custom painted belt and chest box as well as shoulder armor

Helmet before and after

(don't mind the shoulder armor in the pic above, it was taken before I finished it)

Just for fun

Hey folks!

Looking for some pointers and advice.

I already have a SSC, ESB/ROTJ, Vader and a full spare helmet from the same set.

I just bought and am awaiting delivery of:

Hot Toys ANH Body
Hot Toys ANH Body Suit and Vest
Iforigno Cape and Tunic set

Beyond a basic kit-bash is there anything I need to work on to get him looking better? I know the Hot Toys HS is amazing, but it's specific to ANH.

Thanks so much for your help.

Sent from my Motherbox PING PING PING PING PING PING PING PING

Do you happen to know if the shoulder bells were also different on the stunt suit in ESB? In the process of modifying my shoulder bells, I've come across seemingly different shapes, and they look most different in the ESB duel shots, as in the one below. They also look like they are attached differently.

4244922-3180824368-Vader_2.png

Some armors have the bells attached and hanging underneath the armor, whereas other armors - predominantly the stunt armor - has the bells attached with hinges level with the armor.

The tucked under look is similar to how it was in ANH and is the most seen in the movie:
MeditationRoom-003.jpg

With the level armor being less seen and mostly on the stunt and the style carried over into RotJ - I always felt this look made him look like an American Football player and not someone wearing functional armor:
Bespin-Capture-3001.jpg

Someone with more experience can weigh in here, but my understanding is that Vinyl kits have to be painted with acrylics only. They can be primed with an acrylic primer to accept lacquer (which is what the Tamiya TS sprays are) but without priming, I'm not sure it works.

This may be WAYYYYY too late but if you want to use lacquer paint on plastic you want to use adhesion promoter you can get it in a rattle can... in the USA you can use the SMART brand from a finishmaster branch merely for cost value (it's a bit cheaper than the others cost and it being fm's brand they can play with the cost numbers more) First you should lightly 'scuff' the plastic, on a car we use something fine like 1000 or 1500... be aware, the higher the number sand paper the finer. The guys that Dremel could advise what's best on figs but I'd rather sand by hand than power tool on a fig.

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking which Yoder is that? And your Lord Vader is lookin PIMP!

Thank you, drunkn!

Yoda is Christmas Yoda by SSC. Used Jedi Master Yoda clothes and Jedi Mentor hands plus added hair (white wool) for better results!

12797853_1676984232569759_520808342_n(1).jpg

Vader is now waiting for the Hot Toys helmet. A friend is bringing it from the US in a month. Can't wait.
Also I need to make Vader a bit thinner. I padded a bit too much, I think.

Some armors have the bells attached and hanging underneath the armor, whereas other armors - predominantly the stunt armor - has the bells attached with hinges level with the armor.

The tucked under look is similar to how it was in ANH and is the most seen in the movie:

With the level armor being less seen and mostly on the stunt and the style carried over into RotJ - I always felt this look made him look like an American Football player and not someone wearing functional armor:

Thanks for the info, TMG. That's what I suspected, thanks for the confirmation. :)

My progress is going in babysteps, but it's getting there. Here's another test assembly. Still haven't started painting him. Still have to make the hands, similar to that matrix did, using the SSC bodysuit.

IMG_9111_2_small.jpg

IMG_9118_2_small.jpg

IMG_9126_2_small.jpg

Thanks for the info, TMG. That's what I suspected, thanks for the confirmation. :)

My progress is going in babysteps, but it's getting there. Here's another test assembly. Still haven't started painting him. Still have to make the hands, similar to that matrix did, using the SSC bodysuit.

Great work mate! Can't wait to see your vader fininished!

Back