1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
McHaley, thank you for the comparison pics! I have been waiting for someone to post pictures of those particular combinations. I recently bought a Kaiyodo vader for a similar purpose. From your pictures, the Hasbro dome looks better on both the SSC and Kaiyodo mask. The SSC dome is the weak link.
Agree!

Overall, I think the stock SSC figure looks great but I am actually surprised that more people aren't bothered by the inaccurate shape of the helmet. The main thread has page after page of height discussion but very little discussion about what I consider to be the most important element, the helmet. While the dome and mask look good separately, they are not accurate in proportion when together. I am glad that the Hasbro dome offers another option and even slightly increases the size of the helmet.

Received my Vader today...and what an amazing figure...and mine arrived perfect,no issues what so ever. Really glad I pulled the trigger. SSC deserves credit for one hell of a great figure!!!!!!!

Overall, I think the stock SSC figure looks great but I am actually surprised that more people aren't bothered by the inaccurate shape of the helmet. The main thread has page after page of height discussion but very little discussion about what I consider to be the most important element, the helmet. While the dome and mask look good separately, they are not accurate in proportion when together. I am glad that the Hasbro dome offers another option and even slightly increases the size of the helmet.
It's just like their Boba Fett figure...it's very VERY nice. Great figures, both! It's just that size, shape and proportions are off.

Overall, I think the stock SSC figure looks great but I am actually surprised that more people aren't bothered by the inaccurate shape of the helmet.

A lot of people in the other thread are bothered by any mention of anything wrong with the figure at all, so those of us who see the need for any mods have had to tread lightly. ;)

The height is what brothers me the most, as it's so very basic and not subject to artistic interpretation as is the sculpting, including that of the helmet. But yes, it's off. You already mentioned the size, plus there's the width of the bottom rim as well as the top of the dome. It doesn't even have to be combined with the mask to see the issues. However, the neck and helmet position mods seem to mitigate this somewhat and it appears adequate and even good in many photos.

Last edited:
Pixelpiper, I can never understand why people become so bothered by a little constructive criticism. I imagine that many of the great improvements with the most recent Vader came from feedback on these boards after the first one was released.

I completely agree about the issues you mentioned with the helmet and dome. I also agree that lowering and tilting the helmet with the neck mod makes a huge difference in many pictures. However, I suspect I won't be able to let it go until I have something that is much closer to being perfect. A year or so back, a board member was creating a computer generated mold of the helmet which could then be printed. I wonder whatever happened to that project?

Pixelpiper, I can never understand why people become so bothered by a little constructive criticism.
Because people have payed mucho $$$$ for their figures and WANT them to be perfect as they are...& want us to see them that way. We're all a little bit screwed up. This forum needs a professional therapist (should come with our premium membership fee).

A lot of people in the other thread are bothered by any mention of anything wrong with the figure at all, so those of us who see the need for any mods have had to tread lightly. ;)

The height is what brothers me the most, as it's so very basic and not subject to artistic interpretation as is the sculpting, including that of the helmet. But yes, it's off. You already mentioned the size, plus there's the width of the bottom rim as well as the top of the dome. It doesn't even have to be combined with the mask to see the issues. However, the neck and helmet position mods seem to mitigate this somewhat and it appears adequate and even good in many photos.

There was a story on Stitcher where they talked about 1/6 figures and the industry. They specifically talked about SS releasing Darth Vader and how they are keenly aware that some buyers take the sizing down to a mathematical science and that if they don't do it right it kills the illusion.

I finally got some time to pop the ANH mask and Hasbro dome onto the ROTJ Vader body. This looks a lot better to me - the larger sized mask and dome works really well with the size of the other components on the ROTJ figure. I didn't really do any futzing or change the hands but here's a quick pic showing the ANH mask and Hasbro dome on the figure.

SAM_2239.JPG

Agreed! I do not like the helmet at all. Don't get me wrong. No Vader out there is perfect. But for 300 with shipping I expect dx09 quality and I just don't see it in this figure. That's not to say there aren't things I like about it, but the head sculpt made me not pull the trigger. My medicom vader actually broke recently (surprise surprise). So I'm actually bashing a Vader together with a bunch of sideshow parts, a custom cape and a medicom head sculpt. i figure it'll only cost me 60 bucks, some elbow grease and some time this weekend. We'll see how this turns out! Hopefully I can avoid having to pick up the new SS head sculpt.

Hey gang, I have a chance to buy a sideshow ANH Vader body suit. Would that be a good upgrade to do to the new Vader? I know some of you have swapped it out.

I finally got some time to pop the ANH mask and Hasbro dome onto the ROTJ Vader body. This looks a lot better to me - the larger sized mask and dome works really well with the size of the other components on the ROTJ figure. I didn't really do any futzing or change the hands but here's a quick pic showing the ANH mask and Hasbro dome on the figure.

View attachment 95977

Wow, that looks great Cking. The head looks so much more proportional. Love to see some more shots of that figure.

So I'm actually bashing a Vader together with a bunch of sideshow parts, a custom cape and a medicom head sculpt.

I would really like to see how the Medicom helmet works with a sideshow body. As you are thinking about how to customize it, I recommend you check out McHaleyArt's custom Medicom Vader. It is by far the best Medicom custom I have seen. I assume you are using a standard pro body as the Vader ones would be so large that Vader would look like a pinhead. I always kind of figured that when my Medicom Vader breaks (as it will inevitably) I will have to use a Hot Toys slim body to replace it. I would love to see other alternatives.

I'm a little confused about this "Hasbro" dome. Which figure is it from? The switchable Anakin/Vader thing that's on shelves now, or something older?

A year or so back, a board member was creating a computer generated mold of the helmet which could then be printed. I wonder whatever happened to that project?

I was thinking about a week or so back why someone hasn't done a custom dome by now. I'd like to see one.

View attachment 95977

Looks good! Yeah, I like the ANH mask much more too. I prefer the size of the mask and neck.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

I put the ANH suit on him last night.

This should give you a good idea why his arms look so skinny while this was never a complaint with the ANH version, even though arms are almost the same in diameter.

The new vader body is nearly the same size as my modified ANH body.

I just scored a ANH Vader suit from a friend of mine, after looking at some of the modded pics with the older suit I think it looks much better.

Back