1/6 QORANGE QOTOYS QOM-1033 American Civil War 4th Texas Regiment at Chickamauga (1863)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asta

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
q1.jpg

q2.jpg
q3.jpg
q4.jpg
q5.jpg
q6.jpg
q7.jpg
q8.jpg
q9.jpg
q10.jpg
q11.jpg

q12.jpg
q13.jpg
q14.jpg
q15.jpg
q16.jpg

Kepi * 1
Slouch Hat * 1
Shirt * 1
Field Trousers * 1
Shell Jacket * 1
Uniform Badges * 1
Frock Jacket * 1
Jacket Badges * 1
Socks * 1
Shoes * 1
Belt * 1
Percussion Cap Bag * 1
Bayonet Cover * 1
Kettle * 1
Kettle Cover * 1
Ammo Pack * 1
Travelling Blanket * 1
Satchel * 1
Cup * 1
Springfield Rifle * 1
Bayonet * 1
Bayonet Scabbard * 1
Real Like Headsculpture * 1
Action Body * 1
Hands * 3
Foots * 1

All made of genuine leather and metal, Badges will be sent 2 sets randomly for team formation.

This was completely unexpected.

The sculpt is odd. Reminds me of Vincent Van Gogh. A very shiny Vincent Van Gogh.

Coupled with the slouch hat in the first image the figure wasn't giving me a good impression.

From the second image it began to transform. The head's still strange, but the kepi and short jacket is a good look. I can see the potential, especially with a head swap.

Absolutely right on that sculpt. Everything looks pretty good for a civil war era figure, but most collectors probably already have built these infantry soldiers from Battle Gear Toys. Interested to see how far they go with this line.

Absolutely right on that sculpt. Everything looks pretty good for a civil war era figure, but most collectors probably already have built these infantry soldiers from Battle Gear Toys. Interested to see how far they go with this line.

This is a second chance for me. I've never specifically collected the Civil War period before, and only ever had the post-war BBK Jonah Hex figures.

53131894895_58a7032a28_o.jpg

I have a ton of western gunslingers, but no civil war. I think I picked up some loose spurs from those Hex figs back in the day, but not sure.

They were surprisingly good considering the price, which was $75 according to an old post of mine I found.

All the buttons are embossed 'CSA' which is a nice touch of authenticity, whereas the revolvers were far too modern.

The greatcoat capes needed water treatment to tame them.

http://toyhaven.blogspot.com/2011/09/bbk-16-cowboy-preview-aka-jonah-hex-12.html
cw01.jpg

Nice! BBK Jonah Hex figure review and yep! I bought like 5 pairs of those spurs from MD or TA and really liked them :yess: Around the same time I got a bunch of Zorro spurs too….Triad Toys I think 🧐

Nice! BBK Jonah Hex figure review and yep! I bought like 5 pairs of those spurs from MD or TA and really liked them :yess: Around the same time I got a bunch of Zorro spurs too….Triad Toys I think 🧐

This has got me thinking about my western collection.

Growing up watching westerns the 1873 Colt SAA .45, with its variant barrel lengths, was the dominant sidearm. Since then I've thought of westerns as falling into distinct eras: pre-1873 or post-1873.

Post 1873 was what fascinated me most due to the faster cartridge loading weapons I associated with gunslingers. I therefore wasn't drawn to Civil War figures.

But then there's one of the greatest westerns ever made, The Outlaw Josey Wales, which is set just after the Civil War, and The Good, The Bad and the Ugly set during it (but also making good use of cartridge conversions).

I've never actually thought about it until today, but my collection has been pulling backwards towards the war for years with Redman's Blondie, Tuco, Angel Eyes and Josey Wales.

Kaustic Plastic's Django is from a movie set in 1858. Xensation's Hugh Glass is from 1823, though I imagine him as a mountain man from a later period.

The BBK Jonah Hex figures recall the war, but you'd have to cover their gun belts to put them back into it.

The remainder are more firmly later: Redman's Monco; LiM's and VTS' Red Dead Redemption, Asmus' Hateful Eight pair; KP's Rooster Cogburn and my customs. Thunder Toys' Carter Slade is borderline.

I never really rated Redman's Josey Wales highly. He'll be replaced by Sideshow's, and will be a good focus for whatever ACW figures Qorange produce.

QORANGE decided to just randomly become one of my favorite brands, This looks really really good too. especially being from Texas this figure is perfect for my first Civil War figure.

QORANGE decided to just randomly become one of my favorite brands, This looks really really good too. especially being from Texas this figure is perfect for my first Civil War figure.

They've suddenly exploded in all directions!

For years I thought of them as mostly confined to Chinese related conflicts. Then came German WWII, French WWI, Napoleonic French and now the American Civil War.

Seems as though they're searching out gaps in the market.

They've suddenly exploded in all directions!

For years I thought of them as mostly confined to Chinese related conflicts. Then came German WWII, French WWI, Napoleonic French and now the American Civil War.

Seems as though they're searching out gaps in the market.
Yes! For years I was seeing the posts of all their detailed Chinese WW2 sets and was disappointed I was missing out on some high-quality stuff but Chinese WW2 just does not interest me at all, and like you said the german stuff came, and then WW1 and now musket era stuff which I adore. I'm VERY happy with these two pre-orders. Hopefully, the Napoleonic one sells good because I want my French Cuirassier figure.

Yes! For years I was seeing the posts of all their detailed Chinese WW2 sets and was disappointed I was missing out on some high-quality stuff but Chinese WW2 just does not interest me at all, and like you said the german stuff came, and then WW1 and now musket era stuff which I adore. I'm VERY happy with these two pre-orders. Hopefully, the Napoleonic one sells good because I want my French Cuirassier figure.

I've really got to avoid the Napoleonic era as that's a brand new rabbit hole. I would be buying them for their display value rather than having an attachment to the theme. Same with the French WWI, where I was trying to think of a way to make him fit in.

ACW is a near perfect fit though.

I've been trying to check the authenticity of Qorange's uniform. It's not easing owing to the huge variety of clothing worn by the Confederates.

So far all I've established is that the light blue branch of service kepi band, collar and cuffs is correct for infantry.

I don't get the 'A' on the kepi. In other examples it's the initials of the state. e.g. 'NC' for North Carolina.

Examples of Texas headwear tend to have a star on them, for the Lone Star State.

However, it may refer to 'A' company, though I've seen the company letter more often placed on the crown.

The '4' on the red patch on the crown may be correct for the 4th Regiment, though I've seen examples that just have a brass number placed on the crown (as with the company letter).

Nevertheless, owing to the huge variety at the time it could be a case of virtually anything being correct within reason.

EDIT:

The 'A' is most definitely the company designation.

I saw two North Carolina kepis, one had a 'G' for G company and the other 'NC' for the state instead.

Last edited:
This QORANGE QOTOYS is definitely charting new territory or at least territory that has been abandoned for years.

I like everything except the hideous sculpt. Asta, you nailed it with the shiny "Van Gogh". It looks like a roughly sculpted and painted custom sculpt from the 1990's.

I've been trying to check the authenticity of Qorange's uniform. It's not easing owing to the huge variety of clothing worn by the Confederates.

So far all I've established is that the light blue branch of service kepi band, collar and cuffs is correct for infantry.

I don't get the 'A' on the kepi. In other examples it's the initials of the state. e.g. 'NC' for North Carolina.

Examples of Texas headwear tend to have a star on them, for the Lone Star State.

However, it may refer to 'A' company, though I've seen the company letter more often placed on the crown.

The '4' on the red patch on the crown may be correct for the 4th Regiment, though I've seen examples that just have a brass number placed on the crown (as with the company letter).

Nevertheless, owing to the huge variety at the time it could be a case of virtually anything being correct within reason.

EDIT:

The 'A' is most definitely the company designation.

I saw two North Carolina kepis, one had a 'G' for G company and the other 'NC' for the state instead.

From doing a little research... The uniform is a mix of bits from different time periods in the Civil War, rather than representing a 4th Texan infantryman at Chickamagua.
Company A of the 4th Texas infantry were the "Hardeman Rifles" raised in Gonzales/Goliad County. It's possible that they would have been issued frock coats in the early part of the war and maybe even the 1st pattern kepi (with the blue band). After that, an all grey kepi or civilian hat is more likely. The coats issued to the Texans by 1863 were almost certainly the Richmond Depot's simplified Type II shell jacket (issued from the Spring of 1862 to mid-1864). This modified the previous shell jackets by keeping the belt loops and epaulets but dispensing with the colored trim. It is possible, but unlikely that these shell jackets would have had blue collars and cuffs. The buttons would most probably have an "I" on them. Examples with "CSA" are apparently very rare. The CS belt buckles were issued to some regular troops, but not sure how common they were. Also very unlikely that the cartridge box would have a "CS" plate. By 1863, any issued trousers would likely be a grey or brownish colour, but I guess the blue could be a captured pair.

The 4th was part of the Texas Brigade, which after fighting at Gettysburg, was transferred to the Western theater with Longstreet's corps where it fought at the Battle of Chickamauga on 19–20 September 1863. Following the Gettysburg campaign, the Texans were issued new clothing preparatory to their journey to the west. Several eye-witnesses have described the unusual colour of this clothing. According to one Texan, it appeared more blue than gray.
On the second day of the battle, the Texas Brigade was part of the assault column that burst through a gap and routed the Union right wing. Robertson's brigade veered to the northeast across the Dyer Field in an attempt to capture a Union battery. Suddenly it was struck by Charles Garrison Harker's Union brigade that appeared out of the forest and opened fire on the 4th Texas on the brigade's right flank. As the 4th Texas went to the rear, another Confederate brigade mistakenly started shooting at Robertson's men, due to the colour of their jackets, which looked more "Yankee blue" than grey.
Some later Richmond pattern jackets were made from dark blue-grey wool kersey brought from England through the blockade, so am wondering if this was used for the jackets the 4th Texans were wearing.

From doing a little research... The uniform is a mix of bits from different time periods in the Civil War, rather than representing a 4th Texan infantryman at Chickamagua.
Company A of the 4th Texas infantry were the "Hardeman Rifles" raised in Gonzales/Goliad County. It's possible that they would have been issued frock coats in the early part of the war and maybe even the 1st pattern kepi (with the blue band). After that, an all grey kepi or civilian hat is more likely. The coats issued to the Texans by 1863 were almost certainly the Richmond Depot's simplified Type II shell jacket (issued from the Spring of 1862 to mid-1864). This modified the previous shell jackets by keeping the belt loops and epaulets but dispensing with the colored trim. It is possible, but unlikely that these shell jackets would have had blue collars and cuffs. The buttons would most probably have an "I" on them. Examples with "CSA" are apparently very rare. The CS belt buckles were issued to some regular troops, but not sure how common they were. Also very unlikely that the cartridge box would have a "CS" plate. By 1863, any issued trousers would likely be a grey or brownish colour, but I guess the blue could be a captured pair.

The 4th was part of the Texas Brigade, which after fighting at Gettysburg, was transferred to the Western theater with Longstreet's corps where it fought at the Battle of Chickamauga on 19–20 September 1863. Following the Gettysburg campaign, the Texans were issued new clothing preparatory to their journey to the west. Several eye-witnesses have described the unusual colour of this clothing. According to one Texan, it appeared more blue than gray.
On the second day of the battle, the Texas Brigade was part of the assault column that burst through a gap and routed the Union right wing. Robertson's brigade veered to the northeast across the Dyer Field in an attempt to capture a Union battery. Suddenly it was struck by Charles Garrison Harker's Union brigade that appeared out of the forest and opened fire on the 4th Texas on the brigade's right flank. As the 4th Texas went to the rear, another Confederate brigade mistakenly started shooting at Robertson's men, due to the colour of their jackets, which looked more "Yankee blue" than grey.
Some later Richmond pattern jackets were made from dark blue-grey wool kersey brought from England through the blockade, so am wondering if this was used for the jackets the 4th Texans were wearing.

Thanks for posting that.

I'd read that frock coats were issued early in the war, but due to a shortage of material they started making shell jackets instead.

I was wondering whether there was anything that actually tied this figure indelibly to Texas?

Could he be from A Company of the 4th Infantry Regiment of another state?

The buttons do have 'I' on them.

Osprey's American Civil War Armies 4 - State Troops looks useful.

It goes through each state describing what they typically wore, or were issued with as the war progressed, the lettering on the buttons, and whether there were any special regulations.

Some states had so little uniformity and were so motley they were required to wear a flannel stripe of a particular colour on their left shoulder.

By a process of elimination I might find a state that fits the figure.

Hi Asta, I haven't found anything relating to the kepi badges yet. I have now found a reference to Longstreet's troops being entirely outfitted in jackets made from imported English Army Cloth and trousers from imported light blue cloth before leaving to reinforce Bragg... so the trouser colour is correct for Chickamagua, but definitely not the shell jacket. :)

Hi Asta, I haven't found anything relating to the kepi badges yet. I have now found a reference to Longstreet's troops being entirely outfitted in jackets made from imported English Army Cloth and trousers from imported light blue cloth before leaving to reinforce Bragg... so the trouser colour is correct for Chickamagua, but definitely not the shell jacket. :)

I've gone through that book and the results were inconclusive.

If looking for a typical appearance for any particular state, there are various things that discount all of them, such as the design of the buttons, the number of buttons, the colour of the jacket or trousers, the letters or design on the belt and cartridge box plates.

One distinct thing about the figure is the 'CS' buckle and box plate. Narrowing down the states that issued those would help.

Texas issued belt plates (but no cartridge box plates) with the five pointed star on them. Texas buttons also bore a star with the word 'TEXAS' around its points.

So it comes back to being an atypical soldier, but one from a state where the 'CS' plates and 'I' Infantry buttons were issued. :unsure:

Back