1/6 Indy Customizations: Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still think my repainted Sideshow and Treasure Hunter sculpts are the best in getting the intense look which I think is essential for an Indy figure. I do really like this new sculpt though and am wondering how I should paint the eyes on the second one I got in terms of placement. That really makes such a difference to the sculpts.

Hey did Kato sell his prototype raiders jacket last year or did he continue to work on it until it was the correct length?

Curious how the size is in hand, but this seems too close to the v2, which I was never fully convinced by. Nice sculpt, and I really do like it for my Deckard but somehow it never seemed like 100% Ford, I guess that can be said for all the sculpts though.

Yeah I'm not sure about the likeness either at the moment. Like my Jnix sculpt it'll work well enough for now, but still isn't the perfect dead-on Indy I'm really wanting for my collection. And the fact it doesn't work as well in profile view is kind of a giveaway that something is off about it.

Someone posted some pics a while back of Indy's hat but it also showed the character with different expressions. It was like looking at different actors from one image to the next. His face is almost cartoonish at times. Angry with the flared nostrils, serious, laughing etc. It must be a nightmare to try and capture a standard expression look as he very rarely has one!

Yeah I'm not sure about the likeness either at the moment. Like my Jnix sculpt it'll work well enough for now, but still isn't the perfect dead-on Indy I'm really wanting for my collection. And the fact it doesn't work as well in profile view is kind of a giveaway that something is off about it.

As I posted a few weeks ago, 1/6 Indy is really an exercise in always inching closer to something great, but never quite getting there.:lol I mean you can easily spend $750-$1000 all up on a 1/6 Indy and still have something that isn't "I'm done, don't care what comes next."

I've seen a ton of super nice customs on here, but have never seen a "OMFG, THAT is a perfect ROTLA or TOD Indy shrunken down right there" level figure. Especially for ROTLA.

After the latest round of Big Chief Bond (L&LD) releases, which are really superb, I found myself actually hoping that BC seeks the Indy license. I would LOVE to see what they did with a run of Indy, Marion, Toht and maybe Mola Ram.

Maybe if we hammer them with suggestion messages they might think about it for if/when the license becomes available. They at least need to have the suggestion raised. They've dropped the ball a few times, especially with the previous Bond run, but they seem to have nailed things this time around.

I say this because Greggo on here painted my custom Marion and Dietrich heads and he's an Indy fan, and I think he's still one of the senior people at Big Chief (I believe the company was his brother's or something.)

I still think my repainted Sideshow and Treasure Hunter sculpts are the best in getting the intense look which I think is essential for an Indy figure. I do really like this new sculpt though and am wondering how I should paint the eyes on the second one I got in terms of placement. That really makes such a difference to the sculpts.

This statement could be true ten years ago and is possibly true even today.:lol

Out of all the sculpts - and there's been at least a dozen over the past say dozen years - the original Sideshow ROTLA Indy, despite being oversize and its lack of sculpt details, still holds its own as one of the all-time best Indy sculpts, though obviously with a top-drawer repaint.

The newest SSC TOD sculpt, despite being undersized and having slightly weird skintone, is also up there, though looks way better without the hat for some reason.

I say this because Greggo on here painted my custom Marion and Dietrich heads and he's an Indy fan, and I think he's still one of the senior people at Big Chief (I believe the company was his brother's or something.)

I'm certain Greggo would -- or has -- tried to get the Indiana Jones license. He and his brother started BCS I believe.

And yes, Inigo does work for them, he did all the sculpts for their Bond line.

Talibane, I would love to see your Marion and Dietrich. I don't know why you've never posted them. Did you get the Vartal head way back when?

I'm also curious how you like the Snyderman Marion sculpt in hand.

Sculptor Buffy Is the way to go for a dead on Indy i believe . If you see his private commission Rick Deckard you know what i talking about !

IMG_20200312_020342.jpgIMG_20200312_020327.jpgIMG_20200312_020315.jpgIMG_20200312_020302.jpg

That's about as good as a Harrison Ford profile you can get.

Someone just needs to hack the top of that head off and they've got an Indy... younger Raiders looking too.

This is the best Deckard I've seen. Inigo sculpt -- not normally crazy about rooted hair, but it does looks like he's a giant who has snapped off Ford's head during Blade Runner's filming.

15852428c185e3a4cba73d7ea62a2f54.jpg

86c04e974f1230d9dd2995b641ac4bfe.jpg

Pretty sure Inigo works for Big Chief.

Interesting - I wonder how that works when you work for a company with official licenses while also personally mass producing heads for characters that you don't have a license for.

You'd think BC would frown on that, but maybe not.

I'm certain Greggo would -- or has -- tried to get the Indiana Jones license. He and his brother started BCS I believe.

And yes, Inigo does work for them, he did all the sculpts for their Bond line.

Talibane, I would love to see your Marion and Dietrich. I don't know why you've never posted them. Did you get the Vartal head way back when?

I'm also curious how you like the Snyderman Marion sculpt in hand.

Marion and Dietrich have super complex outfits plus other complexities, so I am just now circling back to them. Also, I decided I just didn't have the skills to do them back maybe 7-8 years ago when I was starting out with customs whereas I feel like now I can do them justice. For example I am hand stenciling Marion's white dress (dots and more dots) and hand making Dietrich's jacket because it's longer than any jacket that's available and was custom-made (ie it's not a real German period jacket that you could match via a DID fig etc - the pockets and lapels are quite unique).

And I do really like Vartal's Dietrich (btw, in googling many years ago I seem to recall a guy on either here or at that Raven board hat had done a melted-face Dietrich that looked kinda cool, but it was years ago) and Greggo painted it - which was no easy feat because the sculpt was super rough and needed a lot of remedial work. It came out pretty well but then I managed to snag a BW Universal Solider Dolph/Scott head which I really think would work fairly well for Dietrich. Not great pics, but this one:

49650505621_295e597dbf_o.png

A little young and more chiseled for Dietrich, but faces are pretty similar. I'm still weighing up which sculpt to use - the BW paint is obviously stellar, and it's not a bad likeness to Dietrich whereas the Vartal sculpt can't have that same level of detail and paint apps whereas the likeness is a little more spot on. I will sell whichever head I don't use.

Dietrich and Vogel are both super tricky to get the uniform details just right - I had to make Dietrich's holster for example, and I want to get those tiny thin straps at the top of his boots right. I've assembled maybe ten different types of black gloved hands to get them just right.

But I have everything together for my Marion and Dietrich, it's just SW has been occupying me so much with Amanaman, Ugnaught and Lando Skiff just knocking me over in the past maybe 4 months.

Greggo did great with my Snyderman Marion (long hair white dress version) sculpt. It feels slightly dated in terms of look (level of detail etc, hair sculpt depth) vs the latest HT but probably holds up better than many of the production sculpts from that 7-10 years ago era. I can post pics. Actually, I think Greggo did better than Silentsurfer did for another buddy of mine who also got the Snyderman Marion - SS painted the eyes a bit too large on his.

Sculptor Buffy Is the way to go for a dead on Indy i believe . If you see his private commission Rick Deckard you know what i talking about !

That head is just so unbelievably realistic. Did Buffy do the paint as well as the sculpt? Where are they - on here or on FB?

If anyone wants a repainted SS head lmk!
Still holds up apparently lol

Who painted it? Silentsurfer's paint ups of that head are just epic.

Back