1/6 Indy Customizations: Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check between page 1235 an 1467.
Jk. Idk man, I’m gonna go rip the lining out of mine and tell you how I did it haha

Hey guys. Great thread. I have been pouring through it for awhile and can't seem to find an answer. I have a Hot Toys DX with a Inijo smiling sculpt. I know that you can do a few things to make the stock jacket better, like tear the lining out but I can't find exact instructions on how to do so. Is there somewhere in this 1500 page thread that shows how to do that? Much appreciated. TYIA!

-Brian

Cutting out the lining and glueing down the collar go a long way. With age though, the outside of the jacket is pretty fragile and tears easily, so tread carefully with the futzing.

You can see the glue starting to give on the right side of the collar here, this is on the SS TOD fig.

5f8d0963ca6034d6e355eef133e11db5.jpg

Here's what I cut out, enough of the back/shoulders/arms so it sits better but where you wouldn't see it if some of the inside was exposed.

bb62bdbdfea91a837b9598b172c6ee11.jpg

Last edited:
Cutting out the lining and glueing down the collar go a long way. With age though, the outside of the jacket is pretty fragile and tears easily, so tread carefully with the futzing.

You can see the glue starting to give on the right side of the collar here, this is on the SS TOD fig.

5f8d0963ca6034d6e355eef133e11db5.jpg

Here's what I cut out, enough of the back/shoulders/arms so it sits better but where you wouldn't see it if some of the inside was exposed.

bb62bdbdfea91a837b9598b172c6ee11.jpg

That's exactly what I needed to see. Thank you. I realize it's not real leather, but is there any benefit to using leather conditioner on it?

I should admit that I decided to do both the collar gluing and removing the liner after a rip or two had appeared in the jacket. So I felt like I then had more freedom to experiment. I do think both improved the HT jacket.

Wor, is there an example of the shirt sleeve mod? I'm not sure how that would be done to be honest.

I haven't myself yet cut the cuffs off a shirt... but the newest Kato shirt is cuff-less with the sleeves permanently rolled in Cairo-style. It looks a lot better than the cuffed shirts that are rolled up -- including the thinnest of shirts, the Yunsil Indy shirt. The cuffs at 1/6th scale are just too thick to allow for a realistic cuff-roll.

If you are making a permanent Cairo Indy, then I believe you need to cut off the cuffs. Considering some of the modifications for minutia to the jacket and pants and everything else, the shirt for the Cairo look seems to get overlooked -- or people like the idea of rolling the sleeves as if they were actual 1/1 sleeves.

I cut the sleeves of my Colonial Marines (Hicks and Hudson) before rolling them up. They just looked ridiculously too thick, if not.

I will admit that I had a split second of doubt about cutting them but I knew that it had to be done. Makes a world of difference in scale and realism.

For Indy, it doubly important, as the full sleeves will bunch up inside of the jacket sleeves and destroy the illusion of scaled realism.

I gave the JXtoys body a try since it's got a nice size to it (and much nicer looking arms), but the chest seems a bit too smooth and defined for Ford. The Solo body would be perfect, but unfortunately the neck is just too wide for either my Jnix sculpt or the SS head, so that one's out. Unless I can get the new Inigo head to work on it.

20200308_182410 (2).jpg

I gave the JXtoys body a try since it's got a nice size to it (and much nicer looking arms), but the chest seems a bit too smooth and defined for Ford. The Solo body would be perfect, but unfortunately the neck is just too wide for either my Jnix sculpt or the SS head, so that one's out. Unless I can get the new Inigo head to work on it.

View attachment 480614
This is the best body for TOD Indy but I believe you'd have to get the chest painted to include hair. I've seen a few artist do it and it looks great.

I have the JX 01 body and I tried it with the clothing but found the arms to be on the slim side. Are you JX 01 or the larger JX 02?

And how'd you get the body to fit into those bloody SS pegs in the shoes?

Just the JX01. I suppose the arms are a bit slim compared to other figures I have, but he never looked that crazy big to me in the movie either. Just really fit.

And yeah I had to wrap the foot pegs with a bunch of tape to get them to fit in the boots.

The figure looks good in your picture. I may have to revisit that body. I actually bought the JX01 for Mola Ram in lieu of anything else.

I also tried wrapping the SS ball joints but couldn't get a solid fit in the shoes that lasted very long. I may need to swap out the whole peg unit that is glued into the shin.

So this past weekend, I tried a host of bodies to see what I liked best for TEMPLE OF DOOM Indiana Jones -- JX01, VTS, Solo, the original SS body and even the old DX05.

Solo - remains my overall favorite still but the slimmer build (arms) are better for Raiders Indy. Requires zero painting.

JX01 - great overall body but again I felt it was a little slim for Temple of Doom; also a very smooth body that hurts the realism a bit without painting.

VTS - arms too big for someone like Indy but it has a good overall shape and a narrow torso (no lats); body is also a bit smooth but has a somewhat natural paintjob already.

Hot Toys DX05 - small and squat in clothing, molded extended lats keep force arms into a "gorilla stance"; nice detail but a bit too much, makes the skin look craggy.

Sideshow ToD - at first glance I didn't like this body but I've come around after comparisons; good overall shape to movie Ford, correct bicep length, strangely painted.

That is my two cents worth of experience. If anyone can recommend a body I'd appreciate it.

Great conversation going here.

Without side-tracking Wor-Gar's initial question, I would like to request the best options available, as of today, for a "Raiders" Indy, specifically with the jacket on, as I'm finding the usual replacement bodies to be too buff and unrealistic.

Wor-Gar, I thought the JX01 body was a "Bruce Lee" body. Wouldn't that be too short for Indy? If not, I will give it a shot, as the "Solo" body is difficult to find, now-a-days.

Thanks!!

Yeah I do like the longer biceps on the TOD body, but the elbow joints are so ugly and distracting it kinda ruins it for me. I tried switching out the arms with another body I had, but the biceps now look way too short on it. I suppose I could try the JX arms on it instead, but have a feeling they may look too small on that bigger body...

Wor-Gar, I thought the JX01 body was a "Bruce Lee" body. Wouldn't that be too short for Indy? If not, I will give it a shot, as the "Solo" body is difficult to find, now-a-days.

I know, I've seen that too about Bruce Lee. I'm not certain what they mean. There is a S01 and an S02. The S01 is supposed to be leaner, yet muscular -- I guess like Bruce Lee. The S02 is wider in the shoulders and torso. I'm not certain about the height difference between them, if any, but the S01 is a normal height as it comes in the box. Its worth grabbing because you will certainly use it for something. Again, it might work for Mola Ram too.

Yeah I do like the longer biceps on the TOD body, but the elbow joints are so ugly and distracting it kinda ruins it for me. I tried switching out the arms with another body I had, but the biceps now look way too short on it. I suppose I could try the JX arms on it instead, but have a feeling they may look too small on that bigger body...

The pointy elbows are awkward on the SS.

Which bodies are you referring to when you say you swapped? SS arms to another body or another body's arms to the SS?

I know, I've seen that too about Bruce Lee. I'm not certain what they mean. There is a S01 and an S02. The S01 is supposed to be leaner, yet muscular -- I guess like Bruce Lee. The S02 is wider in the shoulders and torso. I'm not certain about the height difference between them, if any, but the S01 is a normal height as it comes in the box. Its worth grabbing because you will certainly use it for something. Again, it might work for Mola Ram too.

If the S01 is leaner but a normal height, I'm definitely going to pick one up. Thanks!!

Back