1/6 Hot Toys - POTC5 - Jack Sparrow Figure (Artisan Edition + Regular) Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that smirking sculpt looks great. Maybe the best Depp likeness so far. It's an older looking Depp.

I still prefer the DX06 smirking sculpt because it looks like a young COTBP Jack, imo.

The serious sculpt reminds me of the DX06, which to be honest, I never liked. There's something off about it, maybe it's the upper lip. Something about the mouth doesn't look right.

Looking at how detailed and great the new figure looks; it drives me crazy that HT doesn't make a Jack from the first two films. :(

Last edited:
I agree... but I think the grim expression could look good with a little eye movement -- like lowering the eyes as if he's looking down with disdain or something.

But the smirk suits 'the trickster' best.

DX06 also had rolling eyes. Same as DX15. That and a diorama is basically all DX means.
View attachment 695205
HT have been able to do rolling eyes forever. InArt just forced them to have to implement it on all figures now.
Welp, one less reason to go for the reissue lol. I always thought it was super weird how some figures like their Christian Bale batman had rolling eyes but their regular figures didn't? Guess it all makes sense now - greed.

The 5th movie was a lot better than the 4th.
johnny depp captain GIF

I agree... but I think the grim expression could look good with a little eye movement -- like lowering the eyes as if he's looking down with disdain or something.

But the smirk suits 'the trickster' best.

Yeah, the serious sculpt works well in certain poses. I think the DX 15 has the best neutral likeness tho.

Pirates 4 was pure crap. It also introduced the blond hair. WHY? It makes him look like a drag queen.

It funny how the now "old" blond Jack is slowly erasing the 2003 Jack. If you google Jack Sparrow, most of the photos you get are from Pirates 4 or 5.

I'm so used to seeing old Jack now that I forget that he once looked like this. :monkey2

1711690832772.png

Pirates 4 was pure crap. It also introduced the blond hair. WHY? It makes him look like a drag queen.

It funny how the now "old" blond Jack is slowly erasing the 2003 Jack. If you google Jack Sparrow, most of the photos you get are from Pirates 4 or 5.

I'm so used to seeing old Jack now that I forget that he once looked like this. :monkey2

View attachment 695210
I think the blonde has to do with the fact that his hair pigment due to the seas salt water and sunlight have made it blonde. Makes sense and if they did Pirates 6 with Johnny his hair would be almost white due to age of course. I definitely do miss his Pirates 1-3 hair color but I understand it's all age and time spent sailing.

I’m so pleased to have snagged one of these.

I owned the DX15 but sold it and recently went back to Disneyland Paris in December last year with our 1yr old daughter. POTC was always my favorite ride there and still is, plus my daughter adored it. We ate at Captain Jacks too and the ride and whole atmospheric experience really made me want the swashbuckler back on my shelves.

A pipe dream was of course hoping for an InArt one however fully understand that’s not possible (at least currently) so I’m so happy HT did this.

Like many, I do enjoy the other films but COTP is obviously my favourite and holds a special place in my heart, so do wish this was that version however once it’s stripped down a little it will be a damn fine ‘general’ representation of Captain Jack to me. Can’t wait.

Looks amazing, the smiling sculpt really captured an older Depp really well, the neutral one reminds of the DX06 and seems younger, more stylized but still good. Love the base too, to me the Black Pearl's helm is way more iconic to have than a shark and a flag. Love the use of geniune leather for the belts. The omission of a bottle of rum seems like a deliberate choice, likely for the same reason Disney had Hot Toys remove the chalices from Classic Loki.

The only things that kind of bother me are the hat still being inaccurate and oversized and that only the Artisan version has the cloth bandana. But considering how accessible the other versions are I can't really complain, just happy that I finally have the opportunity to add him to my collection, he's been a long time grail for me.

And once again I'll echo everyone else's words, we MUST have a new Davy Jones as well, with a more accurate sculpt, SERS and actual clothing. I see tons of people asking for him on Hot Toys's social media, hopefully they listen. This custom is a good example of what they could achieve now.
View attachment 695173

As far as licensing goes I don't think Depp is seeing a cent from Jack Sparrow merch, during the infamous trial he mentioned Disney owns the character of Jack Sparrow and they are still making merch of Jack and have him in rides despite the fact they have completely cut ties with him. Deep likely signed off his likeness to Disney for DMTNT in a similar fashion to Marvel actors who also sign off their likeness to the mouse when negotiating their movie contracts.

So considering that, this could very well be the last 1/6 Jack for a while and maybe ever if Hot Toys lets the rights expire. Deep's been clear about the fact his relationship with Disney is over, even before what happened he was giving interviews for DMTNT saying it's one of the only movies of his that he watched because he thought it could very well be the last PoTC he filmed and he wanted to give Jack a proper send-off or something along the lines.
My goodness. I need a Davy jones lol

My only real gripe with Hot toys is the lack of expression. It being the 3rd figure and it's still same 2 expressions!

That being said I'm still very happy we're seeing this. 😃

I’m curious; are the artisan figures a different team/production line?

Noticed this is expected Oct 2024 - Mar 2025. Even considering the usual HT delays this seems like less of a wait time than on usual announcements?

I’m curious; are the artisan figures a different team/production line?

Noticed this is expected Oct 2024 - Mar 2025. Even considering the usual HT delays this seems like less of a wait time than on usual announcements?
I was wondering this also obviously they have a team that roots hair but I'd imagine they'd tailor etc in the same factory.

I saw that too I think maybe it's less hair to root and quicker production we'll see. I really hope they see the demand for the pirates franchise is definitely still strong!

I snagged the collector edition which is what I wanted in about 6 minutes. I will be doing my best to convert this to a COTBP! I do the like the deluxe base so maybe I’ll grab that down the road.

These were PERS (Parallel Eyes Rolling System) system which is one stick controlling the eyes, the Dx15 was one of the first sculpts to use the new SERS (Separate Eyes Rolling System) but had two sticks for both eyes. The more recent sculpts use the SERS but without those joysticks which is better to me.
Yeah, I know what the acronyms mean.
I also prefer SERS as you just seem to get more range out of them.
In 10 years, everyone will be paying JND for to use their ‘patented’ magnetic eyes rolling system- MERS!

Just wait for the modern Disney reboot. Drag queen pirates are practically a mandate.

Of course, technically, they’re completely on-brand-
IMG_6330.jpeg

Like it or not, there is a practical justification behind it. In one of the BTS for the original 3, Keira Knightley talked about her hair getting lighter throughout the shoot because of the amount of time out in the sun. The idea with Jack by Pirates 4 is that his hair has grown and faded more with time.

The problem I have with it is not the look, but the idea of how much time elapsed after AWE for the aging because it seems silly for years to pass after he was out looking for the Fountain of Youth, only to get nowhere and be where he’s at at the start of Stranger Tides. Realistically the story should pick up shortly after AWE. His aging would make more sense for DMTNT as that is clearly a long time after AWE.

The 5th movie was a lot better than the 4th.

I'd actually even go so far as to say 5 is better from start to finish than 3 from start to finish. At World's End has some amazing sequences, the maelstrom battle being one of the best of the franchise, but there are also some sequences that get muddied by the overly convoluted plot of people making deals with each other and figuring out who's playing who, etc. Pirates 5 has a much more straight forward story and you get a consistent experience from start to finish. My issue with 5 is the portrayal of Jack.

Here's how I'd rank the franchise.

1. Curse of the Black Pearl - This movie is just great from start to finish. The story is straight forward and feels like a classic adventure based around pirates of the era, the characters are written and acted wonderfully, and the music is fantastic.

2. Dead Man's Chest - This movie does a great job of continuing the overall tonal quality of Curse while introducing more supernatural and mythical elements. Davy Jones is an incredible new character with an amazing performance. The story is a bit more complex than Curse, which does hurt it at times.

3. Dead Men Tell No Tales - This movie was wise to go back to a simpler story like Curse, however, it goes so far as to be almost identical in the supernatural element. The new characters were interesting end entertaining and the returning characters were used quite well. With it being a movie about Pirates, the inclusion of adventures and battles at see was a big leap forward after On Stranger Tides and really made this entry feel like it belongs in the series. For me, this movie is brought down by the manner with which a down on his luck Jack Sparrow was portrayed. The drunken aspects to him were over the top with a lot of ridiculous dialogue and jokes that just don't work. It feels like the greatest departure from his character in the entire series.

4. At World's End - Like Dead Man's Chest, this film did a great job of keeping the feel of it's predecessors and the characters continued to deliver quality performances. The action sequences are fantastic, the music adds some great new themes. If this movie had more time in the writing room, I think the end product may have been much better, but writing on the go really hurt it and the plot is really hard to follow at times. It's easier on repeat viewings, but I still remember walking out of my first viewing in a very confused state and not really knowing how I felt about it.

5. On Strangers Tides - I rank this last as a Pirates movie because it honestly feels more like a Captain Jack Sparrow solo film that didn't commit to being that type of film, and in trying to work other Pirate characters and plot into the film, it weakens the overall film. It lacks sea battles, the music is heavily recycled, the new characters are lacking and even some of the call back characters aren't their best. As far as Jack Sparrow goes, I love this movie for the spotlight it puts on him and he is still very much classic Jack. The impostor sword fight at the beginning of the film is great, both in choreography and score, and I wish the franchise had more of those 1 on 1 type duels where you just focus on the fight and not cut back and forth between that and a larger battle going on elsewhere.

Just curious, for those saying they got texts about the sideshow preorder queue, how does that work? I register for RSVP but it only notifies via email... I get my emails on my phone so that sort of like text but not a text. Also SS says SMS notify coming soon but does anyone already have this working?

Back