1/6 1/6: Hot Toys - MMS4??D20 - Iron Man 2 - Mark IV Diecast Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just be careful to not fall down that rabbit hole. Just because something is heavy doesn’t mean it’s quality. Most people are not running around holding Irom man figures. (You could, don’t know why)

I could sit 10 iron men mark suits on a shelf and not one untrained eye would be able to tell which is die cast vs plastic. Plastic for the most part costs more to manufacture than die cast and has far less limitations in terms of mounds and detail.

Look at and hold hulkbuster and tell me it’s “cheap”, that’s about 85-90% plastic. It’s already heavy, so would 85-90 % die cast make it better? I would think not.

I hate to dive back into this Diecast VS. Plastic discussion again, but it's too hard not to!! :rotfl

Plastic things feel/seem/are cheaper -- this is a human nature thing, and there are entire product design classes that delve into the holistic reasons for this that I wont bother getting into. They have a greater sense of permanence, which for me is enough to justify the increase in price.

Hulkbuster is a poor example as nearly it's entire frame is metal and if the exterior was diecast it would weigh more than my girlfriend. :rotfl

This looks really cool, but with the VI on order, I just don't think there is enough difference in the design to justify personally having both the IV and the VI.The IV and VI share almost identical design elements except for slightly different paint and the different shape arc reactor. I think the VI will contrast my MkIII even more and I don't feel like I need the suit between the two (I can't get every version of his armor anyway).

But, I can totally seeing someone getting the IV to be there "only" Iron Man. It really does capture that more "classic" look of the MkIII with the better body proportions of the VI. It's a beautiful figure and with the gantry it will make an awesome display! Fortunately I don't think I will be tempted buy the gantry because I know I don't have space for it.

This is totally me. I don't have any 1/6 IM, but would like one. And prefer the look of 3/4/6, but with the gantry it looks like it will be the Mk4!

I was browsing IM threads a few weeks/months ago, and I remember some people talking about HT changing the height on their IM armors at some point. Is this still an issue with a re-release like this, or was it from the way back when they began? Would rather not have an undersized one. Thanks!

Plastic vs diecast...

8qobw.gif

This will probably be a "down the road" pickup for me. Much more excited about the Mark VI
coming my way soon, the Mark V for it's unique look, and the closer-to-becoming-reality Diecast Mark VII!

May well upgrade my old MkIV when this one drops. HTs have improved the articulation, and making the armours that bit larger relative to the other figures so it actually looks kinda like someone could fit in there since those old rubber pants era releases. I didn't bother with the gantry release back in the day either so it's doubly tempting.

Kinda helps that I've just put down the final payments for several layaways this month (and the slower UK-based releases mean I tend to have longer than most people to do this too, for instance my mk47 still hasn't shipped yet) so my bank account has a little room to breathe again!

Last edited:
Ditto. Paid it down with some rewards.

The original gantry was before my time in 1/6, and while I picked up a MKIV, I never wanted to pay 1k+ just for the gantry. Happy to get another shot at an improved version.

I'm torn, I have the original Mark IV, and Mark IV and Gantry. I have almost all of the MMS Iron Man Figures. My collector OCD is telling me that I need to get both, so I won't have to pay a huge mark up later.

I don't think theres been significant improvements to the Gantry. They would have hyped it up if they added something, its just paint.

For some reason this makes me think that an Aliens Ripley with Power Loader may finally be on the way as well. I’m not sure I see the $300 value of the gantry, but my detolf shelf space is also a high commodity with the room I have available to display figures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regular is up on BBTS but not the gantry. That's super lame if SSC doesn't make it available to other retailers. It doesn't appear to be a SS exclusive, hopefully I'm just jumping to conclusions and BBTS is in the process of putting it up...

I do not want to pay CA tax plus their ridiculous shipping prices for a non-exclusive.

Regular is up on BBTS but not the gantry. That's super lame if SSC doesn't make it available to other retailers. It doesn't appear to be a SS exclusive, hopefully I'm just jumping to conclusions and BBTS is in the process of putting it up...

I do not want to pay CA tax plus their ridiculous shipping prices for a non-exclusive.

Speak of the devil, its now up on BBTS @ $634.99

I hate to dive back into this Diecast VS. Plastic discussion again, but it's too hard not to!! :rotfl

Plastic things feel/seem/are cheaper -- this is a human nature thing, and there are entire product design classes that delve into the holistic reasons for this that I wont bother getting into. They have a greater sense of permanence, which for me is enough to justify the increase in price.

Hulkbuster is a poor example as nearly it's entire frame is metal and if the exterior was diecast it would weigh more than my girlfriend. :rotfl

I know the plastic vs die-cast is like the tilt-a-whirl of sandpaper to everyone's @ss. The Hulkbuster does not have that much diecast. This is it in yellow, so I think the 15% is a fair nod, perhaps 20%. it is a metric F-ton of plastic. Yes F-ton is a measurable. :lol

marvel-avengers-age-of-ultron-hulkbuster-sixth-scale-hot-toys-902354-19.jpg

Was gonna PO at BBTS to avoid CA tax, but didn't want to drop the $127 deposit at this time. I'll probably just wait on it until it's closer to release.

I don't think theres been significant improvements to the Gantry. They would have hyped it up if they added something, its just paint.

I bet they use the same box, inserts and everything. :lol

For some reason this makes me think that an Aliens Ripley with Power Loader may finally be on the way as well. I’m not sure I see the $300 value of the gantry, but my detolf shelf space is also a high commodity with the room I have available to display figures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're going to need a bigger boat.

Back