1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Yoda Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They also add $10 to $20 or more above retail for every Hot Toys or Sideshow figure and don't allow most discount codes (might allow free shipping though). You really have to compare apples to apples.

There are so many other places to buy Sideshow and Hot Toys figures from, I don't understand the griping about their shipping when there are probably a dozen other places you can price shop at.

I'm merely comparing shipping prices. The box size and weight would be far greater for these items from the Disney store for $10, rather than SS $20+ per figure.. SS doesn't even discount when you order multiple figures shipped together. They still charge the same price as each figure shipped alone. And believe me they receive huge discounts from Fedex and UPS with bulk mailing and corporate accounts. They shouldn't charge customers more than what a person selling one on ebay or here on the forums can ship it for at full shipping prices...

Plus, I'd always rather buy from Sideshow just for the fact that we see so many QC issues with $200+ collectible figures from both SS & HT. Much easier and less stressful going through the official distributor than a 3rd party store for replacement parts or full figure swaps, of which I've had to do on several of SS's 1/6 and 1/4 premium format statues. Plus the rewards are nice as I usually save enough till I get a figure for free or at least 1/2 price....

The gripe is that sideshow has what amounts to a monopoly on HT distribution in North America so they set the damn prices, they play the song, and we all dance to it. Often times they jack up the Hong Kong street price in addition to charging way more than it costs them to ship. The only way to skirt sideshow is to buy direct from Hong Kong.

Even though they're the distributor, the Sideshow store is not a monopoly. In the States you can order through BBTS, Alter Ego, Timewalker Toys, Forbidden Planet in NY, and several other places. All these places have various advantages and sometimes downsides but can be cheaper than Sideshow (always when it comes to shipping) and often when it comes down to total cost. It's just the same tune every time a figure is shipping with people acting like these options didn't exist the whole time a figure was on pre-order. Yoda is now sold out at most of these places.

The gripe is that sideshow has what amounts to a monopoly on HT distribution in North America so they set the damn prices, they play the song, and we all dance to it. Often times they jack up the Hong Kong street price in addition to charging way more than it costs them to ship. The only way to skirt sideshow is to buy direct from Hong Kong.

The problem with that is that you end up paying about the same in the long run because of the shipping cost from HK (if you're in the US). I'm guessing that's part of how the MSRP is evaluated for the figures--they incorporate the freight cost of the slow boat from China. So yes, a seller in HK will sell the figure for $30 less than Sideshow, but then will charge $50 for shipping.

Even though they're the distributor, the Sideshow store is not a monopoly. In the States you can order through BBTS, Alter Ego, Timewalker Toys, Forbidden Planet in NY, and several other places. All these places have various advantages and sometimes downsides but can be cheaper than Sideshow (always when it comes to shipping) and often when it comes down to total cost. It's just the same tune every time a figure is shipping with people acting like these options didn't exist the whole time a figure was on pre-order. Yoda is now sold out at most of these places.

Sure those places exist and I buy a lot from BBTS and occasionally timewalker. But they all get their stock from sideshow, so they are at sideshow's mercy too. My understanding is that they are subject to certain guidelines that sideshow sets. If you buy from any of those retailers you aren't getting around sideshow, they are still getting their cut. That is what I meant when I said that buying direct from Hong Kong is the only way to avoid them. Sideshow also has the distinct advantage of having certain figures and accessories to figures that are exclusive to them.

The problem with that is that you end up paying about the same in the long run because of the shipping cost from HK (if you're in the US). I'm guessing that's part of how the MSRP is evaluated for the figures--they incorporate the freight cost of the slow boat from China. So yes, a seller in HK will sell the figure for $30 less than Sideshow, but then will charge $50 for shipping.

No doubt. I'm not saying it's cheaper to go through hong kong. It's usually more because of shipping and the fact that you are still getting middled by another hong kong reseller. But if you want to completely avoid sideshow that is what you have to do.

All those places you mentioned buy them direct from SS... So they kind of are a monopoly. SS has the ability to limit whatever amounts those companies buy as they see fit... SS makes full pop, way more selling direct than from what they make selling to 3rd party stores. So of course they will keep most stock for themselves, until a figure isn't selling that is. The 3rd party retailers need to discount to be competitive. SS is pretty much in complete control, unfortunate as that is.

Sure those places exist and I buy a lot from BBTS and occasionally timewalker. But they all get their stock from sideshow, so they are at sideshow's mercy too. My understanding is that they are subject to certain guidelines that sideshow sets. If you buy from any of those retailers you aren't getting around sideshow, they are still getting their cut. That is what I meant when I said that buying direct from Hong Kong is the only way to avoid them. Sideshow also has the distinct advantage of having certain figures and accessories to figures that are exclusive to them.

I hear you, but very little of that has anything to do with the $18 - $20 shipping price on Yoda when buying from Sideshowtoy.com. They're the official distributors. Not gonna get around that. Sideshow is also getting a much smaller cut if you buy from those places as they have to ship it to them and give them a price that makes the store want to sell the figure in the first place. Only other way to go around Sideshow is to buy on eBay which at that point you're spending more 90% of the time.

That's awesome that people are receiving their 14 day notices.

IMG_2271.JPG

Strange that I have not.

I'm also a little upset about sideshow's shipping cost. But as has already been pointed out, there isn't much I can do about it. Budget stark talked about street prices for hot toys in one of his videos, it was a little disheartening to say the least. Yoda should be $150 tops.

I'll be getting Yoda, including shipping, for $119. But then again I used a butt ton of RP on it. Still ridiculous considering how many points I used.

Sideshow charged me $36 to ship BvS Batman to Hawaii. Since then, for other figures that I've PO'd and received or are about to ship, prices have been much more reasonable.

Anyway, I'd get Yoda but I'm not sure I feel like paying $200 for such a small figure. With a $20 code it's more bearable, but still haven't gone for it. It would be a bummer if I miss out, but I can't decide now.

Shipping 18.89 from CA to AZ. Not sure why Sideshow shipping is always so high. I guess I am glad the 20.00 coupon covered the shipping. :slap

Sideshow charged me $36 to ship BvS Batman to Hawaii. Since then, for other figures that I've PO'd and received or are about to ship, prices have been much more reasonable.

Anyway, I'd get Yoda but I'm not sure I feel like paying $200 for such a small figure. With a $20 code it's more bearable, but still haven't gone for it. It would be a bummer if I miss out, but I can't decide now.

I was exactly in the same boat as you.

I was on the fence about not wanting to pay $200 for such a small figure, but I used my last current remaining RP with SSC and brought it down to $171, which like you said, was more bearable. What prompted me to pull the trigger was I felt he's too iconic of a SW character to miss out on and would complement my DX07 nicely, and I didn't want to be on the side of him going for astronomical prices (even more so than retail) on the secondary market if and when I decided that I did want him.

I was exactly in the same boat as you.

I was on the fence about not wanting to pay $200 for such a small figure, but I used my last current remaining RP with SSC and brought it down to $171, which like you said, was more bearable. What prompted me to pull the trigger was I felt he's too iconic of a SW character to miss out on and would complement my DX07 nicely, and I didn't want to be on the side of him going for astronomical prices (even more so than retail) on the secondary market if and when I decided that I did want him.

Indeed he's so iconic. Add him to a Star Wars display and it feels more complete. I just have to justify the price, even after a discount. The price you got him to is much better. He'd go great with my upcoming SS Snowspeeder Luke and TFA R2-D2.

Ugggggh! This is my most anticipated figure, but my living situation is going to be all over the place until August, so I don't have anywhere I can ship it to! I hope I won't have to buy it after its been sold out for exorbitant prices.

Back