1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Stan Lee Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since they're re-releasing the MK 43 and HB, maybe they'll have another run for Stan...would probably get it that time around.

Anyone scrambling trying to find a Stan for retail needs to re-assess why they are even in this hobby...because it seems like those of you searching for one now, just in it for the hype, Stan was cheap as hell not too long ago and a staple in any marvel collection...I POd him the second I could because I knew I had to have him in my collection, if you didn’t feel the need to have him at 170$ why do you feel the need to have him now that the prices have skyrocketed to 1k?

Re: HT Stan Lee Figure

I bought mine a little over a year ago after meeting him. Just had to have a Stan figure to go with my signed comic and other marvel figs. Only paid around 200. Well worth it.

Anyone scrambling trying to find a Stan for retail needs to re-assess why they are even in this hobby...because it seems like those of you searching for one now, just in it for the hype, Stan was cheap as hell not too long ago and a staple in any marvel collection...I POd him the second I could because I knew I had to have him in my collection, if you didn’t feel the need to have him at 170$ why do you feel the need to have him now that the prices have skyrocketed to 1k?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've recently gotten into collecting the Marvel character's around March. I did see some Stan Lee's for around $300-$400, as a way to avoid bankruptcy, I decided to set a rule for myself to not spend very much over retail. I have given up on finding a Stan for retail due to his recent passing, but I'm still hopeful that I can find one for a reasonable price once the demand subsides in a few months.

Not singling anyone out, or generalizing, but it seemed to be the same thing with the initial run of Star Wars Princess Leia. Right after she died, suddenly all these collectors felt they needed to have that figure, some suggested it was a "tribute" to Carrie Fischer, but like Stan Lee, that Leia figure was discounted for months.
I think there are a lot of collectors who, maybe subconsciously or maybe don't want to admit it, want them because the actor/person died, and the value or rarity increases.

I wish I could have found one for $170, when I looked for one he was still $200 plus and at the time I also had other figures pre-ordered. When I had the money to spend he was already over $800 on the secondary market. I didn't just suddenly decide I wanted one.

Not singling anyone out, or generalizing, but it seemed to be the same thing with the initial run of Star Wars Princess Leia. Right after she died, suddenly all these collectors felt they needed to have that figure, some suggested it was a "tribute" to Carrie Fischer, but like Stan Lee, that Leia figure was discounted for months.
I think there are a lot of collectors who, maybe subconsciously or maybe don't want to admit it, want them because the actor/person died, and the value or rarity increases.

There are quite a few on here, and they won't admit it but make the obvious comments like "should I get this?" fishing for comments about the potential aftermarket value, and get defensive and b1tchy if you call them out. I see it frequently but refrain from being a d1ck about it because I don't want this place to become anymore toxic than it is.

I agree with the points made. If Stan meant that much to you, then you should have bought it when it came out. Stan means the world to me and I bought it as soon as it went live. I've been an emotional wreck all week because of Stan's passing, (I also lost one of my best friends last month, so that's still fresh) but mostly because I've been enjoying the heartfelt tributes to him almost constantly. Since I was real young I always felt like he was the grandfather I never had, and as cliche as it is to say at this point, he had a huge hand in guiding my moral compass as a weak minded child.

But I digress... It's not a popular thing to say in this hobby, but if you're more concerned with the value of the figure after it sells out, then you're not a real collector and are part of the problem concerning ridiculous after-market prices. That's just my opinion though. There are people like that in all collection hobbies that just want to make a quick buck off of hype, and those people can screw themselves in the most painful way possible... And for those that just want to make sure they get their money's worth I can understand, but maybe consider finding a cheaper hobby.

Aftermarket value means nothing to me. Every time I find out a figure sky-rocketed in price is because someone on here mentions it. It's is never something I keep track of... And while I do see the figures as a potential investment for the future (meaning i'm not wasting my money if I HAD to get rid of them someday) I have no plans to ever get rid of any of the figures I buy unless a better version of the same character comes out. (ie HT deadpool, IM2 War Machine)

Last edited:
There are quite a few on here, and they won't admit it but make the obvious comments like "should I get this?" fishing for comments about the potential aftermarket value, and get defensive and b1tchy if you call them out. I see it frequently but refrain from being a d1ck about it because I don't want this place to become anymore toxic than it is.

I agree with the points made. If Stan meant that much to you, then you should have bought it when it came out. Stan means the world to me and I bought it as soon as it went live. I've been an emotional wreck all week because of Stan's passing, (I also lost one of my best friends last month, so that's still fresh) but mostly because I've been enjoying the heartfelt tributes to him almost constantly. Since I was real young I always felt like he was the grandfather I never had, and as cliche as it is to say at this point, he had a huge hand in guiding my moral compass as a weak minded child.

But I digress... It's not a popular thing to say in this hobby, but if you're more concerned with the value of the figure after it sells out, then you're not a real collector and are part of the problem concerning ridiculous after-market prices. That's just my opinion though. There are people like that in all collection hobbies that just want to make a quick buck off of hype, and those people can screw themselves in the most painful way possible... And for those that just want to make sure they get their money's worth I can understand, but maybe consider finding a cheaper hobby. Aftermarket value means nothing to me, and while I do see the figures as somewhat of a potential investment for the future (meaning i'm not wasting my money if I HAD to get rid of them someday) I have no plans to ever get rid of any of the figures I buy unless a better version of the same character comes out. (ie HT deadpool, IM2 War Machine)

I find it hard to get rid of older versions even if a new one come out. That's why I have 6 Captain America, 3 thor, 13 Ironman, 3 Black widow, 5 batman and 6 Terminator.

I haven’t had the funds for buying any Hot Toys, I’ve wanted all the Marvel and Star Wars releases but couldn’t afford any. I’ve wanted Stan since he was released. I love Stan, but I couldn’t afford him then, and I definitely can’t now. Personally I never buy or want to buy a figure for potential resale value, yes I could make quite a bit of money, but I’d rather just use the money I would spend getting that resellable figure to buy something I actually want in my collection. I want a Stan, hell I NEED a Stan in my future Marvel collection. Everybody does. I’m sure most people who actually want it now that didn’t buy him before were just waiting because they could, he’s still retail I’ve got time, let me just get a couple more figures before I buy him, then an unexpected tragedy struck and now they have to pay exorbitant prices. I hope HT can rerelase him somehow for any collectors missing this pivotal piece in their collection.

But I digress... It's not a popular thing to say in this hobby, but if you're more concerned with the value of the figure after it sells out, then you're not a real collector and are part of the problem concerning ridiculous after-market prices. That's just my opinion though. There are people like that in all collection hobbies that just want to make a quick buck off of hype, and those people can screw themselves in the most painful way possible... And for those that just want to make sure they get their money's worth I can understand, but maybe consider finding a cheaper hobby.

Aftermarket value means nothing to me. Every time I find out a figure sky-rocketed in price is because someone on here mentions it. It's is never something I keep track of... And while I do see the figures as a potential investment for the future (meaning i'm not wasting my money if I HAD to get rid of them someday) I have no plans to ever get rid of any of the figures I buy unless a better version of the same character comes out. (ie HT deadpool, IM2 War Machine)

Claims that "I don't want this place to become anymore toxic than it is"

Then proceeds to write...

"those people can screw themselves in the most painful way possible"

LMAO! :lol

I don't think the people that are selling at higher prices are scalpers, calling them that is just bitterness at not being prescient enough to realise that an old man would soon stop getting older.
I bought mine a while after it was released when Marvel said that they had “banked” a few cameos just in case, I didn’t want to be shocked by news of his death and end up even further disappointed after looking for the original figure of him and finding it priced more in line with the great mans worth than what I had stupidly ignored at preorder.

R.I.P. Stan
We will all miss him, but I’m keeping him.

Claims that "I don't want this place to become anymore toxic than it is"

Then proceeds to write...

" those people can screw themselves in the most painful way possible"

LMAO! :lol

:lol I didn't start the topic. Also taking things out of context is lame. I said I refrain from calling people out and being a **** about it because I don't want it to be more toxic. This is a general statement and I called nobody out specifically, which is a **** move I was referring to... If someone takes offence to it, that's their problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol I didn't start the topic. Also taking things out of context is lame. I said I refrain from calling people out and being a **** about it because I don't want it to be more toxic. This is a general statement and I called nobody out specifically, which is a **** move I was referring to... If someone takes offence to it, that's their problem.

Haha it's okay...I'm just messing around with you man! :hi5:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the people that are selling at higher prices are scalpers, calling them that is just bitterness at not being prescient enough to realise that an old man would soon stop getting older.
I bought mine a while after it was released when Marvel said that they had “banked” a few cameos just in case, I didn’t want to be shocked by news of his death and end up even further disappointed after looking for the original figure of him and finding it priced more in line with the great mans worth than what I had stupidly ignored at preorder.

R.I.P. Stan
We will all miss him, but I’m keeping him.

I’m not new to collecting. So I can say with absolute certainty there are people who have stockpiled this figure in order to “bank” on Stan’s death. (The man was 95 years old) That is scalping.
I own this figure and love it too! I’m glad to hear you got in on it before Stan’s passing.

Got mine two months ago at £150. Great figure, got it to go with my Marvel figures. Stan fits in very well. The people selling these at extortionate prices should be ashamed of themselves. I also agree with others that this figure was discounted for a long time before going OOS, others had plenty of time to buy it. I don't think the sales were strong. Just my opinion but for Hot Toys to do another re release within the year would be disrespectful. Just another cash in on a dead celebrity. Not that it hasn't happened before.

Not to worry, this figure could be had for 150.00 for a while. All those that “invest” in a figure do not understand this market of value of a collectible.

Stand will be back in the 150 range by next year and all these silly git’s who paid 400 for him will be sitting on a figure that has no market value then. As you said, people who really wanted it bought it on release.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Back