1/6 Hot Toys - DX26 - Obi-Wan Kenobi Series : Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that is some BS on Sideshow’s part. If I had seen that first I may have ordered Obi-Wan before Vader as his exclusive is better. Question now is do I want to plunk down another NRD on this figure too?

I guess this happens when there's no Deluxe offered... only Collectors and Special Edition. Except that Vader has 4 options.

They won't let us even wait until the obvious needed tweeks are shown. This sort of signals PO for this have been light since the debut? Oh well.

They did the exact same for last year's Summer Showcase. This one is a bit more of a push, at least for me, since I want the box. The others were all hologram bits that I don't really care about.

Damn it, going to preorder.

D1E23106-9242-449E-809B-A3C9FDF3A4A9.jpeg
A77B9F84-9502-431F-A16F-8A9D5B53F8EF.gif

One thing I find hopeful, JC Hong has been blowing up social media with posts of the heads to pretty much every recent new reveal except for Obi-Wan, which leads me to think they may already be planning revisions to the head.

They got me too.. really wasn’t planning on two pre-orders in two days but want the exclusive. Dumped the rest of my rewards into this. Ah well I likely going to pre-order eventually anyways.

haha, they hooked us good. But if anyone were to preorder any of the Summer Showcase exclusive Special Editions based on the value of the accessory, I think it would be this one.

752B4C33-68ED-49AA-8003-72ECD42D5948.jpeg

This felt like an important accessory; too much so to be a limited time bonus accessory. It’s a shame it’s time gated; it should’ve just come with the figure.

This felt like an important accessory; too much so to be a limited time bonus accessory. It’s a shame it’s time gated; it should’ve just come with the figure.
Think it's a *&^% move especially with a show that didn't set the world on fire. Really on the fence about this fig between the show and the sculpt. And I'm not gonna be pushed into a PO unless I really am sure; figs are too expensive now.

May just stick with the Sideshow Obi and be done with it; spend the funds on Mando figs.

Think it's a *&^% move especially with a show that didn't set the world on fire. Really on the fence about this fig between the show and the sculpt. And I'm not gonna be pushed into a PO unless I really am sure; figs are too expensive now.

May just stick with the Sideshow Obi and be done with it; spend the funds on Mando figs.

Yeah it’s seriously not great. We should be above these sorts of cheap tactics at this level and these prices.

Agreed, you gotta do what’s best for you. Definitely no reason to be pushed into a preorder for a figure you’re not committed to for sure.

There’s just so many awesome figures out there and there’s always more coming out so there’s less and less room each year for anything but must haves.

I can't be the only one who's still amazed how well Diamond Select captured Ewan McGregor's likeness on their PVC statue. Hot Toys has to step up their likeness game.

Attachments

• STAR-WARS-PREMIER-COLLECTION-OBI-WAN-KENOBI-STATUE-1.jpg
    STAR-WARS-PREMIER-COLLECTION-OBI-WAN-KENOBI-STATUE-1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • STAR-WARS-PREMIER-COLLECTION-OBI-WAN-KENOBI-STATUE-2.jpg
    STAR-WARS-PREMIER-COLLECTION-OBI-WAN-KENOBI-STATUE-2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
For sure, not to knock Gentle Giant work, but I've never seen HT tackle a character they have and not matched or done better, but in this instance, it's a big gap in likeness. GG nailed it, it doesn't have the realism of HT, but it looks just like Ewan.

Yeah it’s seriously not great. We should be above these sorts of cheap tactics at this level and these prices.

Agreed, you gotta do what’s best for you. Definitely no reason to be pushed into a preorder for a figure you’re not committed to for sure.

There’s just so many awesome figures out there and there’s always more coming out so there’s less and less room each year for anything but must haves.

I'm not too surprised that HT/Sideshow are manufacturing some urgency to preorder. It might seem like a cheap tactic but a lot of collectors are not pre-ordering anymore and the companies depend on pre-orders to determine how much product to make. I think it's why we are seeing some better timed exclusive bonus items and also a figure like the Arena Fett.

I don't blame folks for not pre-ordering but collectors have to face facts that this is a niche hobby. You don't have to pre-order but if you don't you can't get angry if something sells out before you buy it. Low preorder numbers mean more risk and businesses are not a fan of that. It's a contributing factor to higher prices.

I'm not too surprised that HT/Sideshow are manufacturing some urgency to preorder. It might seem like a cheap tactic but a lot of collectors are not pre-ordering anymore and the companies depend on pre-orders to determine how much product to make. I think it's why we are seeing some better timed exclusive bonus items and also a figure like the Arena Fett.

I don't blame folks for not pre-ordering but collectors have to face facts that this is a niche hobby. You don't have to pre-order but if you don't you can't get angry if something sells out before you buy it. Low preorder numbers mean more risk and businesses are not a fan of that. It's a contributing factor to higher prices.

It’s definitely at the core of it though it’s also related to this Summer Showcase both Hot Toys and Sideshow are on about now that most people don’t care about. They did it last year and brought it back this year.

It’s kind of just weird and arbitrary to have a clump of limited availability exclusives at some point in the year but here we are.

Just feels more like someone’s bad marketing pet project with a sprinkling of cheap sales tactics to me rather than a genuine effort to maximize preorders. Otherwise they could be doing a lot more to drive sales like collaborating with Hot Toys to increase the number of exclusives versions and do this sort of thing year round.

Yes it is to boost preorders, but I want to say it probably doesn’t move the meter enough for it to matter that much either way in the long term. Which is good for collectors otherwise there’d be more incentive to make more timed, limited, and exclusive versions of everything.

I don’t preorder anymore for the most part and a lot of people around here don’t. But many still do and like to day one. We also don’t know what all the people out there are doing since we’re just a small fraction of the total number of people who buy these from Sideshow. I bet a lot of them still preorder.

Last edited:
Prices have gone insane and lots of these figures sit in stock after release.

Just a few weeks ago Toys Wonderland was doing some nutty sales where figures were like 50% off like the Boba Fett two pack. You could get a ton of HT's for around $150-170 shipped.

Prices have gone insane and lots of these figures sit in stock after release.

Just a few weeks ago Toys Wonderland was doing some nutty sales where figures were like 50% off like the Boba Fett two pack. You could get a ton of HT's for around $150-170 shipped.

The first part is true. Second part is a bit apples to oranges.

Sideshow is an authorized regional distributor and sets their prices based on a lot of factors.

Toys Wonderland is ultimately just a fly by night reseller operation. They buy figures at the cheaper local prices over in Hong Kong to resell without paying much overhead.

So while it is a good indicator of something not selling well in Hong Kong, it’s not a good indicator of price and value. They could offer those prices because they’re not paying what authorized distributors and retailers are paying for them.

I understand trying to get pre-order numbers boosted. I just don’t like the FOMO tactic used when we all know these figures are so far out. Why pick some arbitrary date that people have to order by?

If anything I would think by limiting the date people can order the exclusive by that’s going to cause some to take their business elsewhere because exclusives aside Sideshow is rarely my preferred choice for buying figures now days and I don’t think I’m alone in that.

The exclusive time limit really boils down to getting preorders at SSC.

The hobby fan base also grew during the pandemic. Now that people can once again travel, some people are not buying as many figures. A week of vacation for two can easily cost 10 figures. Stores overstocked.

Last edited:
One day left to get the Obi-Wan bonus accessory, which I actually think is pretty good as far as bonus accessories go. The likeness might not be a 10/10 but I gotta say the value here for $295 is quite a bit greater than some of the recent Marvel announcements hovering around $300-$305.

F0C6197E-1C4E-48A3-B7EF-B8250DA7CDB1.jpeg

One day left to get the Obi-Wan bonus accessory, which I actually think is pretty good as far as bonus accessories go. The likeness might not be a 10/10 but I gotta say the value here for $295 is quite a bit greater than some of the recent Marvel announcements hovering around $300-$305.

View attachment 591950
Saw the email with the count down, I was hoping to at least use a code for this in the future. I really do like the exclusive on this. Vader, I could easily pass on its exclusive.

Back