1/6 custom Darth Vader helmet (ROTJ Variant)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mace Gravers

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just wondered if there are people on these forums who ever tried to achieve the look
of a Darth Vader helmet from "The Return of the Jedi":

rotjpic1.jpg

My plan is to modify my Sideshow Deluxe Darth Vader to achieve his ROTJ look but I still
need some clues on how to proceed.

Can anyone help?

Here are three different attempts to achieve the ROTJ look. However, I am not satisfied, I'm afraid:

Vader heads.jpg

From Left to right:
LEFT: It is the standard Vader deluxe Sideshow helmet. I trimmed the mask and re-attached the helmet than.
MIDDLE: This is the 1/6 Vader titanium helmet. I attached metal tusks and repainted it completely.
RIGHT: It is a Vader car refreshener mask + the helmet from a Sideshow ANH Vader.

I would also like to give the Kaiyodo mask a try but kits are hard to get and prices for those on evilbay are just insane.

I used one of those Vader heads posted above for a custom ROTS Darth Vader.
On the other hand, I am still trying to find a good mask and dome for the ROTJ Vader.
Does nobody really have any hints or clues?

Over the years, various attempts have been made to make an accurate Vader helmet. The most successful attempt came from a poster named hurricane. He used a mask from the 1/6 kaiyodo model kit. The mask on that kit is very accurate in shape. Much more so than the sideshow or hot toys figures. The best dome at this point was created by hurricane but I haven't seen him on here in a while so I am not sure if he is still selling. You could possibly get away with the hasbro dome and kaiyodo mask. The hots toys mask (or air freshener that you have) and hasbro dome looks pretty good as well,

Thanks for the clue, Zeiss. I know Hurricane's great work but like you mentioned, it seems hard to get a copy of his Vader mask/helmet kit these days.
The only other option I found was a 14" tall Darth Vader figure from the Disney store:

14inch Darth Vader (Disney Store).jpg

Might give that one a try, I think.

BTW, the car air freshener head did I use on a customized Episode 3 Darth Vader:

Darth Vader (E III).jpg

The recipe is very easy:
Body, full clothes, neck connector: Sideshow Vader (ANH)
Head: Vader car air freshener
Dome: Sideshow Vader (ANH)

Agreed. The Kaiyodo mask works really well for the Sideshow Vader mod. However, I have a hard time getting my hands on a copy of that mask for a fair price.

Meanwhile I started scultping over a spare Sideshow Vader head. Lots of sculpting details are yet to do but I will keep you updated.

Back