1/2 Prime 1 Studio - The Dark Knight - Joker (Adam Gu + Kato)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all subjective though isn't it. The 1/6 adam Gu heads are simply unsurpassable in terms of likeness so I can understand why people would want one of those over this. Without mods and improvements this can never match them, regardless of size or presence. People just have different tastes and their presence could be a perfect 1/6 statue compared to a very good 1/2 or exceptionally good 1:1. Etc. :duff

I cannot understand why people would pay $6,500 for one however. That seems quite maddening and very hypocritical of adam from his previous comments.

Wait, people have paid up to $8k for one of Adam's 1/6 scale Joker heads? Are there any pics of these heads because I'd really like to see what they got for that kind of money.

Here you go.

hlj16232 by Thegrandcheesecakemuncher, on Flickr

hlj4165erwr by Thegrandcheesecakemuncher, on Flickr

hlj3164eqe by Thegrandcheesecakemuncher, on Flickr

hlj4166weq by Thegrandcheesecakemuncher, on Flickr
20322_1530e23r by Thegrandcheesecakemuncher, on Flickr

Here's his latest one, I don't think many people can buy this because he only made a couple of them, I believe people paid 9 k for this sculpt.

smiling.jpg

I have less than that in my entire 1:1 Joker statue so my mind is completely blown that people would pay that much for a toy head. :cuckoo:

I know and I thought it was bad when people paid Adam $2500 for his old grail one (which was also the original price for the first sculpt in the pics), now it's just borderline insanity what people will pay for Adam's Joker sculpts. Even his old ones go for a few thousand.

Last edited:
It's all subjective though isn't it. The 1/6 adam Gu heads are simply unsurpassable in terms of likeness so I can understand why people would want one of those over this. Without mods and improvements this can never match them, regardless of size or presence.

I can to, but I can't understand why they would rather spend more double the money of this for 1/6th Adam sculpts, but you do make some very good points. You forgot to mention the hair work Adam does is quite amazing, have yet to see anyone match his mixed media work.

People just have different tastes and their presence could be a perfect 1/6 statue compared to a very good 1/2 or exceptionally good 1:1. Etc. :duff

True but the fact is 1/6th figures have less presence than larger items, since they are more eye catching. Just like how this 1/2 scale statue has more presence than a 1/4 scale figure. So presence isn't really subjective, it's linear, what you prefer is though.

I cannot understand why people would pay $6,500 for one however. That seems quite maddening and very hypocritical of adam from his previous comments.

Yeah but are you surprized?

Last edited:
No doubt those 1/6 heads are the best ever made, but when you're talking $4-9k for one that is beyond insanity in my book. I lucked into getting my 1:1 head from Bobby C. at a steal of a price and after he finished it he admitted it was probably the best one he ever did and that he could have gotten a lot more money for it. Hell, I only paid $700 for this completely customized 1/4 Enterbay figure and while the sculpt/paint isn't as good as Adam's for the price it was still a pretty damn good score(and this pic doesn't even come close to doing it justice btw).

20170729_134932_resized.jpg

Last edited:
No doubt those 1/6 heads are the best ever made, but when you're talking $4-9k for one that is beyond insanity in my book.

It is for me to, even $2500 for it is too much IMO.

I lucked into getting my 1:1 head from Bobby C. at a steal of a price and after he finished it he admitted it was probably the best one he ever did and that he could have gotten a lot more money for it.

Yeah it sure looks like the best one I have ever seen.

Hell, I only paid $700 for this completely customized 1/4 Enterbay figure and while the sculpt/paint isn't as good as Adam's for the price it was still a pretty damn good score(and this pic doesn't even come close to doing it justice btw).

20170729_134932_resized.jpg

Yeah that's Zack's EB resculpt, I have that one to but is painted by a different artist, I really hated Zack's paint job on it.

I saw some of the paint jobs he did on other people's stuff and wasn't impressed by them, but again just like with Bobby I must have got lucky because I think he did a great job on mine. It might not be up to the level of Adam's, but again this was $700 for the entire figure including his custom sculpt and hair. A better pic than the first one I posted:

20170916_132008_resized.jpg

I saw some of the paint jobs he did on other people's stuff and wasn't impressed by them, but again just like with Bobby I must have got lucky because I think he did a great job on mine. It might not be up to the level of Adam's, but again this was $700 for the entire figure including his custom sculpt and hair.

That's a pretty good deal.

A better pic than the first one I posted:

20170916_132008_resized.jpg

Does look better than most I have seen, I would like to talk to you about it more but I think the thread needs to get back on topic.

Ah Fernando, you know me better than I know myself. :eek:

That's great man, do you know where you are going to put it yet? :lol

Ha ha. Yeah, soon as I saw the header Adam Gu...I was like..."o boy, I wonder if Steve is gonna get this". Lol

My boss, aka my girlfriend, wants to convert one of the rooms to a man cave so there are no toys in the living room, hallway, bedroom. :lol
Wasn't to keen in the beginning, but actually, if done well, I've seen some very nice man cave.
I was actually thinking about it before, but I've also seen quite a few man cave that looks like a kid's room. So I wasn't sure How to set mine up if I do, so just kinda stop thinking about it.
Kinda dont have a choice now. Ha ha

So that's actually one of the reasons why I changed my mind about getting a 1/2 scale. If I do have a man cave, That would be my grail piece, the main focal point when you get into the room, and then cleanly arrange my other collectibles with it. :)

Super bummed. I got batteries today to check out the light up feature on the base , and one of the lights won't light up! If I put a little pressure on the round piece with the led in it and move it to the side it lights up and flickers but leaving it alone it does nothing. I checked all of the four leds in that socket(they're removable) and that one spot won't light up, so I know it's the base itself (or the metal contact in the base maybe?) and not the lights. Guess I'm going to need a replacement. Hope they can just switch out the base but it's numbered and so are both boxes so they might make me replace the whole thing. :gah:

Super bummed. I got batteries today to check out the light up feature on the base , and one of the lights won't light up! If I put a little pressure on the round piece with the led in it and move it to the side it lights up and flickers but leaving it alone it does nothing. I checked all of the four leds in that socket(they're removable) and that one spot won't light up, so I know it's the base itself (or the metal contact in the base maybe?) and not the lights. Guess I'm going to need a replacement. Hope they can just switch out the base but it's numbered and so are both boxes so they might make me replace the whole thing. :gah:

I am so sorry bud, but it will get fixed. I was lucky enough for mine to all work. But **** happens it will get fixed bud!!

Sometimes those little metal leads on the bottom of the puck get stuck up inside, you might try some needle nosed pliers and see if that's the case.

Those puck lights are the single biggest failure point across all the statues that have them.

Yeah but are you surprized?

Actually yes. I've been in this game for a while but I'm always shocked that he came out years ago and said 'I can't do anymore joker heads as I feel bad about stealing form the license holder' etc etc. and he continued to sell them under the radar until the current state of affairs when he sells them for $6.5k each.

Supply and demand I guess. He's built his own market whereby if he is really elusive and states he won't do them then people will pay crazy money for them. Just doesn't scream 'artist' to me.

Anyway I'm getting off topic sorry.

I'll remember you said both these things. Pretty sure this will be worth quite a bit in the future. Second how do you know it won't sell out before batman. A thousand is not a huge edition size, yes it is big, but I bet you eat both your words in future! First, you are already wrong about saying a half scale didn't double in value. Darth maul is pretty pricey if sold. Wolf predator is another that doubled in value. Anyways, no point arguing because your making assumptions!

Good, I hope you do. It's called an opinion, and I happen to think it won't sell out before Batman. Do you even watch what statues with a $2k mrsp go for on the aftermarket from any company? I'm not speaking out of my ass when I say big priced items like this don't double in value and in general, a $1,000 ES is small for most statues, not for something that costs $2k. I have 6 years of collecting experience to make decent enough guesses, not assumptions.

Outside of maybe a few handful of people in this thread, there is no hype around this piece. Darth Maul is "pricey"? that can mean anything. And...uh, Wolf is not 1:2 scale. Look at the statue market in general. Newer statues are RARELY increasing in value by even a $100 when you factor in crazy shipping prices and ebay/pp fees. Your lucky to break even on anything now a days because it's oversaturated and will continue to be that way.

There was also never a 1/6th head that people would pay thousands for until Adam's Joker heads. The fact that this is a Ledger Joker sculpted by Adam is why I think it may double in price. If it was any other collectible I would say no way, but the fact that people pay up to 8K for his 1/6th heads is why I think this go up in value dramictically. However, maybe for statues it won't increase in value that much since it's already a few thousand. :dunno

Most likely not, but I do think it will sell out rather quickly.

Honestly, how much of the general collecting community do you think even knows who Adam is? I don't think that's much of a selling point to most. The ones that do, yes, this is a good option for people that aren't super rich.

Good, I hope you do. It's called an opinion, and I happen to think it won't sell out before Batman. Do you even watch what statues with a $2k mrsp go for on the aftermarket from any company? I'm not speaking out of my ass when I say big priced items like this don't double in value and in general, a $1,000 ES is small for most statues, not for something that costs $2k. I have 6 years of collecting experience to make decent enough guesses, not assumptions.

Outside of maybe a few handful of people in this thread, there is no hype around this piece. Darth Maul is "pricey"? that can mean anything. And...uh, Wolf is not 1:2 scale. Look at the statue market in general. Newer statues are RARELY increasing in value by even a $100 when you factor in crazy shipping prices and ebay/pp fees. Your lucky to break even on anything now a days because it's oversaturated and will continue to be that way.

Honestly, how much of the general collecting community do you think even knows who Adam is? I don't think that's much of a selling point to most. The ones that do, yes, this is a good option for people that aren't super rich.

Whatever bud, don't take this the wrong way but in your comments you sound very negative. Their are always some pple on here that get off on it. Idk you so I don't want to make that judgement but why not just wish pple well that own this? Some things I agree with and some I don't. But yes I agree with collecting anything these days is hard to make a profit. Because side show charges so much. However, on this statue I disagree with you completely because their are not mass quantities of this Joker. Now if they start coming out with mass quantities then I agree. But side show, stuff I don't like to buy because they charge so much now and quality has gone way down your right profit will be hard to make. But I own a **** load of old pieces that are worth quite a bit. But not into collecting for making a profit. I do it for the love of having these. Really, the wolf is close enough to a half scale come on man seriously. Anyways, I do wish you luck and do me a favor try and be more positive it comes off a lot better. One more thing I collect all sorts of statue from other companies MYC Sculptures is one I love he makes great stuff and it is his own. This is my first prime one piece and I love it like all those who purchases it do. Now if you saw it in person and hate then whatever. But I never think photos justify a piece. Anyways wish all well, Peace!

Feel free to PM me anytime. :wink1:

Great, I'll keep that in mind. :wink1:

Ha ha. Yeah, soon as I saw the header Adam Gu...I was like..."o boy, I wonder if Steve is gonna get this". Lol

Even after my criticisms of the make up application? I always did say though that the paint job otherwise is pretty realistic.

My boss, aka my girlfriend, wants to convert one of the rooms to a man cave so there are no toys in the living room, hallway, bedroom. :lol
Wasn't to keen in the beginning, but actually, if done well, I've seen some very nice man cave.
I was actually thinking about it before, but I've also seen quite a few man cave that looks like a kid's room. So I wasn't sure How to set mine up if I do, so just kinda stop thinking about it.
Kinda dont have a choice now. Ha ha

I see.

So that's actually one of the reasons why I changed my mind about getting a 1/2 scale. If I do have a man cave, That would be my grail piece, the main focal point when you get into the room, and then cleanly arrange my other collectibles with it. :)

Well can't wait to see how it will look. ;)

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm gonna see if I can mess with the leads and if that does something.

Hope it works out for you.

Actually yes. I've been in this game for a while but I'm always shocked that he came out years ago and said 'I can't do anymore joker heads as I feel bad about stealing form the license holder' etc etc.

Yeah I remember that and he also said he was sick of doing the Joker to, I never believed his BS, I knew if people kept paying him thousands he would make more, of course back then people had to wait a year to two years to get one made by him.

and he continued to sell them under the radar until the current state of affairs when he sells them for $6.5k each.

The only reason he started to sell them for that price is because that is what people offered him. If people didn't want these dam heads so much he wouldn't be able to sell them for that price.

Supply and demand I guess. He's built his own market whereby if he is really elusive and states he won't do them then people will pay crazy money for them.

He sure won't, yet he posted that thread where he was happy to make them if u want them.

Just doesn't scream 'artist' to me.

Anyway I'm getting off topic sorry.

Sure it does, you just have to insert the word Con somewhere in there. :wink1:

TBF to Adam though, it wasn't him who originally priced these sculpts so high, it was the fact that people who paid Adam $2500 for his sculpts were able to sell them for 6-8 K to other collectors just after they waited for two years when they received theirs. So it's no wonder he won't make anymore unless you pay him crazy prices.

My point wasn't to do with Adam's rep, it was because he seems to make the best Ledger Joker heads, I have shown his sculpts to non collectors and they can't believe it isn't the real Heath Ledger, so that's why I think this will sell out fast because of the amazing likeness. I only brought up people paying 8k for Adams heads because in all my years of collecting I never seen people pay so much for a 1/6th head. When it comes to Ledger people just go crazy, now maybe the statue world won't care as much as doll collectors. :dunno However, didn't Bobby's 1/3 scale statues sell for over 4 K in the beginning?

Man...adam gu just needs to make like 4 custom 1/6 scale dolly heads and he's set for a year.

I think he did at least four custom heads last year for 6-7 K, believe me there are plenty of people lining up to pay 6-8 K for him to do those dolly heads, so he could knock of four heads easily within a year.

Whatever bud, don't take this the wrong way but in your comments you sound very negative. Their are always some pple on here that get off on it. Idk you so I don't want to make that judgement but why not just wish pple well that own this? Some things I agree with and some I don't. But yes I agree with collecting anything these days is hard to make a profit. Because side show charges so much. However, on this statue I disagree with you completely because their are not mass quantities of this Joker. Now if they start coming out with mass quantities then I agree. But side show, stuff I don't like to buy because they charge so much now and quality has gone way down your right profit will be hard to make. But I own a **** load of old pieces that are worth quite a bit. But not into collecting for making a profit. I do it for the love of having these. Really, the wolf is close enough to a half scale come on man seriously. Anyways, I do wish you luck and do me a favor try and be more positive it comes off a lot better. One more thing I collect all sorts of statue from other companies MYC Sculptures is one I love he makes great stuff and it is his own. This is my first prime one piece and I love it like all those who purchases it do. Now if you saw it in person and hate then whatever. But I never think photos justify a piece. Anyways wish all well, Peace!

I'm not even sure what your talking about. I actually like this item and have considered it in many of my posts. I only gave you attitude because you responded to my post that wasn't even directed at you with attitude. And I had Wolf, he is not even close to the size of a half scale piece.

Great, I'll keep that in mind. :wink1:

My point wasn't to do with Adam's rep, it was because he seems to make the best Ledger Joker heads, I have shown his sculpts to non collectors and they can't believe it isn't the real Heath Ledger, so that's why I think this will sell out fast because of the amazing likeness. I only brought up people paying 8k for Adams heads because in all my years of collecting I never seen people pay so much for a 1/6th head. When it comes to Ledger people just go crazy, now maybe the statue world won't care as much as doll collectors. :dunno However, didn't Bobby's 1/3 scale statues sell for over 4 K in the beginning?

yep, The Bobby C 1/3 Jokers were at least that much and his first run at it were very bad outside of the head sculpt. I haven't seen his 2nd run from any collectors, so I don't know what happened there. I was initially going to get his 2nd run, but he was taking too long, so I got out of it.

No one is denying the likeness of this, but there are still lots of folks that have issue with the pose and face paint on this for $2k. 1:2 pieces are hard to sell in general because most collectors just don't like the scale. 1/4 or 1/3 scale, the ES would be 2x or 3x of this and would probably sell even better.

I'm not even sure what your talking about. I actually like this item and have considered it in many of my posts. I only gave you attitude because you responded to my post that wasn't even directed at you with attitude. And I had Wolf, he is not even close to the size of a half scale piece.

yep, The Bobby C 1/3 Jokers were at least that much and his first run at it were very bad outside of the head sculpt. I haven't seen his 2nd run from any collectors, so I don't know what happened there. I was initially going to get his 2nd run, but he was taking too long, so I got out of it.

No one is denying the likeness of this, but there are still lots of folks that have issue with the pose and face paint on this for $2k. 1:2 pieces are hard to sell in general because most collectors just don't like the scale. 1/4 or 1/3 scale, the ES would be 2x or 3x of this and would probably sell even better.

Your like one of those pple who get angry and take texts personal. How do you know I had attitude??? I am one of the most calm pple their are. But you wouldn't know that because you do not know me so whatever dawg. Best to go our separate ways!! Seeing even after I wished you well, but to you I had attitude, Okay. Also, A one third isn't much smaller than this half scale joker dude he is 38 inches the wolf was 31 but whatever you say!!

Back