Statue 1/1 Life-Size Figure - The Child - Sideshow Collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone keeps saying this but I have many doubts. This is significantly larger than a figure like baby groot. Also if hot toys did something like changeable faces, there would be a horrible seam on the head sculpt to pull it off.

I think many people don’t realize that the company that made baby Yoda for the show are listed as the sculptors and making molds. You won’t get this accurate of a sculpt even from hot toys.

I can totally see Hot Toys milking it in 1/6 scale though for sure.

Don't think anyone is questioning the sculpt. Its definitely good. Just skeptical on the execution of the mass produced final product. How many great base sculpts have we seen over the years that have been ruined by poor mass paint application when we receive it in hand. Even HT drops the ball now and then.

Don't think anyone is questioning the sculpt. Its definitely good. Just skeptical on the execution of the mass produced final product. How many great base sculpts have we seen over the years that have been ruined by poor mass paint application when we receive it in hand. Even HT drops the ball now and then.

Agree with this also. The thing that gives me the most hope for this piece turning out well is the recent Legendary Scale Yoda. It pretty much matched the prototype which really surprised me.

From FB. Looks pretty great...

baby2.jpg

This definitely looks pretty good. Not sold but definitely tempted.

Yeah I think most of us ordering are fully aware that the production piece won't look nearly as incredible as it does here. But even if it only gets 90% there, I think it'll still be worth it to have a full sized Baby Yoda on display that has been copied off of the actual puppet.

Plus it doesn't seem like it would require a ton of work for them to reproduce. Maybe a few layers of airbrush work, pop in the eyes (which are likely clear plastic over a decal), and add a bunch of hair on top.

Yeah I think most of us ordering are fully aware that the production piece won't look nearly as incredible as it does here. But even if it only gets 90% there, I think it'll still be worth it to have a full sized Baby Yoda on display that has been copied off of the actual puppet.

Plus it doesn't seem like it would require a ton of work for them to reproduce. Maybe a few layers of airbrush work, pop in the eyes (which are likely clear plastic over a decal), and add a bunch of hair on top.

I’m not so sure about that. The more I look at these photos, the less likely I think they’re going to be able to achieve a reasonable facsimile.

63EA6274-D76C-40DA-A4BE-15CEF6988B7D.jpeg

E6BC04A0-5228-4F04-B3C9-1A3A870EAD0A.jpeg

33EAF0F1-36B1-4B8C-BCAA-8A9355410197.jpeg

C1D68171-5180-4434-A925-C09BAD820336.jpeg

Though I hope I’m wrong :pray:

I preordered this locally over at Popcultcha, but it?s a bit pricier than usual. Conversion is below /0.60 and this has got to be the first time I?ve both seen a piece go up so fast for preorder and for them to not offer the usual early 10% preorder discount. But I guess they know what they?re doing, as the demand for this will be pretty high.

Popcultcha have now increased their retail price from $599.99 to $649.99 AUD, but with an current early preorder price of $599.99, probably just to match what first day preorders paid at.

It seems that they’re doing this at the last minute just to either cash in on those who order later or to fix what they should’ve done in the first place and include their usual preorder discount on Sideshow pieces, but obviously the ‘discount’ isn’t their usual 10% discount. I guess because they didn’t want the retail price to be $666.66 AUD.

Well it appears to me it's the translucent resin doing most of the work there, just as with most HT sculpts.

Maybe so, but when did Sideshow ever use such a material to that effect? At least on a production piece......

Prime 1, yes, ECC yes, and a few others, but not really Sideshow. They’ve used PVC on a few sculpts, which can to a ‘certain’ extent have a similar effect, but not to the degree we’re seeing on Baby Yoda.

On Sideshows website it currently lists the following for Materials:- Fabric , Plastic , Resin. Which is pretty much a catch all I guess, not that that matters as they’ve been known to use completely unadvertised materials on their production pieces on a couple of occasions.

This is being produced by Legacy Effects and not Sideshow though. At least they did most of the work on the prototype, and I can't imagine they'd radically change the materials being used for the production statues.

This is being produced by Legacy Effects and not Sideshow though. At least they did most of the work on the prototype, and I can't imagine they'd radically change the materials being used for the production statues.

Since when in any of the previous partnerships with Sideshow did Legacy Effects ever produce any pieces beyond the prototype......absolutely none. And that’s the issue. As you also said if they truly did most of the work on the prototype as they have done in previous pieces when they were in partnership with Sideshow, then that means nothing has changed. The prototype is near perfection, and Sideshows production of said piece is more often than not, lacklustre when compared to the original prototypes helped produced by Legacy Effects.

But anything’s possible. There’s always a first time. Or at least that’s what I‘ll be praying for :pray:

However given the relatively low price (except for some who only collect 1/6 figures or similarly priced items), I’m prepared to see some drop in the quality.

The absolute pettiness of these companies...anyways, safe to say HTs won’t drop theirs till 2022 tho

Since when in any of the previous partnerships with Sideshow did Legacy Effects ever produce any pieces beyond the prototype......absolutely none. And that’s the issue. As you also said if they truly did most of the work on the prototype as they have done in previous pieces when they were in partnership with Sideshow, then that means nothing has changed. The prototype is near perfection, and Sideshows production of said piece is more often than not, lacklustre when compared to the original prototypes helped produced by Legacy Effects.

But anything’s possible. There’s always a first time. Or at least that’s what I‘ll be praying for :pray:

However given the relatively low price (except for some who only collect 1/6 figures or similarly priced items), I’m prepared to see some drop in the quality.

Can u name a few pieces? Curious. Just looked up and they seem to have mostly done Alien/Xenomorphs?

Have no paint skills but the translucency/paint in the proto pics is an attraction for me, as noticed that on screen re Child in certain shots. Assuming they are using some sort of resin for the face - I know WETA seems to have gone that way for portraits on statues.

Back