Wonder Woman 1984 - June 5, 2020

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn people are going in on this film. In a way they should grateful for the virus or else this would have been destroyed at the BO and give marvel another win. Huge yikes.

I am still shocked by this. I was thinking it would be a step down from the first movie, but not feel like 3 steps back.

The interesting part is I would file this under my Spider-Man 3/Amazing Spider-man 2 folder in quality. Those movies killed the franchise, but WB seems like they are still pressing on? I mean that is what they say, I have real doubts we now we actually see a WW3. Patty Jenkin is going to want to write, and based off the quality of the first movie to the second...that seems unwise.

PJ has the cover of covid to hide behind, no firm proof that her movie is the disaster that it is. She will point to the huge amount of downloads and at the same time discredit the complaining to a few anti-maskers. She may be able to convince her brethren to give her another go.

Patty Jenkin is going to want to write, and based off the quality of the first movie to the second...that seems unwise.

Just Google'd it. So she wrote this script with Geoff Johns and David Callaham, based on a story by her and Johns. Maybe she should stick to directing. :confused:

I am still shocked by this. I was thinking it would be a step down from the first movie, but not feel like 3 steps back.

The interesting part is I would file this under my Spider-Man 3/Amazing Spider-man 2 folder in quality. Those movies killed the franchise, but WB seems like they are still pressing on? I mean that is what they say, I have real doubts we now we actually see a WW3. Patty Jenkin is going to want to write, and based off the quality of the first movie to the second...that seems unwise.

It;s either give it another go or reboot and they don't want to reboot. I feel like in the near future they will sell these characters off like marvel. I don't think they like or care about them that much.

Just Google'd it. So she wrote this script with Geoff Johns and David Callaham, based on a story by her and Johns. Maybe she should stick to directing. :confused:

Patty did not write the first one however. Interesting enough the story for the first Wonder-Woman Snyder had a lot of influence in that. But like Lucas (when he has had success), a different screenwriter and different director turned what is a good story into a good movie.

I think Patty and Snyder should stick to directing, and not touch writing these types of movies. There are a few people who can write and direct with great success (Nolan, Favreau, Tarantino), at least when we are talking about non-indie movies.

Patty did not write the first one however. Interesting enough the story for the first Wonder-Woman Snyder had a lot of influence in that. But like Lucas (when he has had success), a different screenwriter and different director turned what is a good story into a good movie.

I think Patty and Snyder should stick to directing, and not touch writing these types of movies. There are a few people who can write and direct with great success (Nolan, Favreau, Tarantino), at least when we are talking about non-indie movies.

Agreed. I have a hard time coming up with a short list. It seems more directors (and actors for that matter) are trying to do it all, with some obviously very mixed results.

She may not be credited on the first movie, but from everything I read at the time she still had a huge influence on the story and tone (and pushed for things like the No Man's Land scene that the studio wanted to cut).

Not really sure what went wrong here, but I think it was mostly due to just not having a strong story idea to begin with (beyond bringing Steve back and having some fun with the 80s).

With the third movie being set in the present day though, I'm almost certain the studio will push her to make it much more like the first one in tone.

Also Seeing the reviews the 80s was barely a thing in this and this movie could have taken place in any era.

Also Seeing the reviews the 80s was barely a thing in this and this movie could have taken place in any era.

It is funny that the story was trying to be set in the 1980s, but by the end they effectively use a super-technological device that is basically ripped right from Kingsmen. It is basically an internet threat ending....trying to write around the lack of the internet being used around the world....I mean computer screens are getting beamed TV transmissions???

Also, even when the cameras are knocked down, Maxwell stands in a giant glowing thing in the middle of the room...which nobody can explain to me what it is. Is that the heart of all TVs or something?

But yes, this movie doesn't need to be based in the 1980s. I mean Captain Marvel has to be in the 1990s because she is basically a prequel character, but they don't really play up the 90s stuff except her landing in blockbuster.

Last edited:
Also, even when the cameras are knocked down, Maxwell stands in a giant glowing thing in the middle of the room...which nobody can explain to me what it is. Is that the heart of all TVs or something?
It's just the obligatory blue beam in the finale, except this time it's sneaky because it doesn't shoot straight up into the sky. :rotfl

I was surprised by the lack of any 80s music. I know you never heard much of that during the Superman movies either, but I think it really could have helped juice up the energy and sense of fun a bit more. At least judging by that awesome first trailer.

That Lynda Carter cameo would be icing on the cake for even a good movie but it feels so wasted and tacked on to the crapper that is WW84. :rotfl

Here's the thing, I find with a lot of movies after I watch it and think about it for a bit I end up liking the movie a bit more or then my opinion on it does not change from my initial reaction when the credits role. But WW84 is one of those rare instances where the more I think about it, the worse it gets. It's bafflingly bad. How do you go from the first WW, which isn't a cinematic masterpiece but still pretty great (one of the best DC movies of the past decade and comparable to some of Marvel's top solo outings), to whatever the hell WW84 is. I can't think of a single scene or element to this movie that is genuinely GREAT. Yes some things stand out more than others but there isn't even an action scene comparable to the now iconic "No Man's Land" from the first one.

Outside of the second cheese opener in the mall, we don't get another action scene nor see Diana in her WW armor until the 1 hour and 25 minute mark. And then that is a mildly entertaining truck chase scene that has a lot of ridiculous moments, some terrible shots, etc but is still considered a high point of the film IMO. :rotfl

It's basically a joke now but to add onto all the other crap of 2020, it also gave us 2 of the worst DC movies in years. I think people have become more accustomed to bad/mediocre DC movies so it's less shocking when one drops, but Bird of Prey and WW84 are both really really bad. WW84 and BOP are similar though in the sense that the biggest highlight is a good actor just full on committing to the villain role and going crazy with it. McGregor as Black Mask and Pascal as Maxwell Lorde are both so over the top and entertaining to watch. I definitely don't consider either to be great villains, and I give the edge to Black Mask for entertainment value (even though like Jared Leto's Joker the faithfulness to the source material is atrocious and overall it's a bad interpretation in my book, but it's entertaining to watch none the less), but when everything else around you is garbage and as a viewer I just stop caring, then you become the highlight.

Like if both WW84 and BOP were genuinely well written and great movies, maybe both the villains would become low lights. Not discrediting the actors, but more so the cons of the writing of their characters would suddenly overshadow the performance more because then the writing matters when the viewer cares. Like if BOP was great, I feel like you would get a whole lot more complaining about Black Mask being butchered and being nothing like the kingpin he is in the comics, Arkham Origins, etc.

End the dumping of my thoughts.

Oh also for those that are interested:

That Lynda Carter cameo would be icing on the cake for even a good movie but it feels so wasted and tacked on to the crapper that is WW84. :rotfl

Here's the thing, I find with a lot of movies after I watch it and think about it for a bit I end up liking the movie a bit more or then my opinion on it does not change from my initial reaction when the credits role. But WW84 is one of those rare instances where the more I think about it, the worse it gets. It's bafflingly bad. How do you go from the first WW, which isn't a cinematic masterpiece but still pretty great (one of the best DC movies of the past decade and comparable to some of Marvel's top solo outings), to whatever the hell WW84 is. I can't think of a single scene or element to this movie that is genuinely GREAT. Yes some things stand out more than others but there isn't even an action scene comparable to the now iconic "No Man's Land" from the first one.

Outside of the second cheese opener in the mall, we don't get another action scene nor see Diana in her WW armor until the 1 hour and 25 minute mark. And then that is a mildly entertaining truck chase scene that has a lot of ridiculous moments, some terrible shots, etc but is still considered a high point of the film IMO. :rotfl

It's basically a joke now but to add onto all the other crap of 2020, it also gave us 2 of the worst DC movies in years. I think people have become more accustomed to bad/mediocre DC movies so it's less shocking when one drops, but Bird of Prey and WW84 are both really really bad. WW84 and BOP are similar though in the sense that the biggest highlight is a good actor just full on committing to the villain role and going crazy with it. McGregor as Black Mask and Pascal as Maxwell Lorde are both so over the top and entertaining to watch. I definitely don't consider either to be great villains, and I give the edge to Black Mask for entertainment value (even though like Jared Leto's Joker the faithfulness to the source material is atrocious and overall it's a bad interpretation in my book, but it's entertaining to watch none the less), but when everything else around you is garbage and as a viewer I just stop caring, then you become the highlight.

Like if both WW84 and BOP were genuinely well written and great movies, maybe both the villains would become low lights. Not discrediting the actors, but more so the cons of the writing of their characters would suddenly overshadow the performance more because then the writing matters when the viewer cares. Like if BOP was great, I feel like you would get a whole lot more complaining about Black Mask being butchered and being nothing like the kingpin he is in the comics, Arkham Origins, etc.

End the dumping of my thoughts.

Oh also for those that are interested:

:lol:lol:lol "Your monthly bill will be $17,000 a month..."
Yeah, thanks D+ for the upcoming rate increase even tho u still haven't fixed ur buggy Firestick app:mad: that needs regular goat sacrifices under a crescent moon to even work 50% of the time....

So *&^%$ u HBO Max - can't wait to watch this film as a sort of super-fun self torture, like eating raw ghost peppers:cool:, but will hold on to see it for free.

I was surprised by the lack of any 80s music. I know you never heard much of that during the Superman movies either, but I think it really could have helped juice up the energy and sense of fun a bit more. At least judging by that awesome first trailer.

Yea what happened to that cool music they showed off.

Pitch Meetings delivers once again

I don't watch screen rant after they got caught ripping videos off so blatantly in the past, just to generate their clickbait sludge.

If I want introspection with a hint of ahole, I just come to this forum. :hi5:

Last edited:
I was waiting for the pitch meeting for this cause I knew it would be a gold mine of stuff for him to pick apart.

The plot is just so utterly rediculous.

Latest posts

Back