XM Studios Hulk Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oooo Spidey with the Figure Drawing theory 101 :clap:rotfl

Well you have seen my stuff... At least I think you have...lol. I am still working on my dynamics, but I haven't had time to get pencil to paper for months...to busy here at times...lol? I am just surprised that the sculptor would make that kind of a rookie mistake.

Okay this sculpt violates one of the most basic rules about getting a dynamic pose. The arms and legs look best when done contra laterally; meaning when the left arm is forward the left leg should be back, and the right leg should be forward, and vice veras.

WRONG!!!

KTh3jfb.jpg

RIGHT!!!!

null_zpsef2481bc.jpg

And RIGHT!!!!
ea254451698a77db61cfc8f82fd758ea_zps844793a8.jpg

Now I know why they did it, and it is because if they didn't the pose would be to close to THIS guy

539185fa6f2e15c6ea8ebd3eacb7bf0f_zps6ff01175.jpg

However, I still have to say that it feels like this sculpt needs to be totally reworked.
I hear you. But your saying that you cant have a dynamic pose if the arms and legs arent contra whatterey?

I hear you. But your saying that you cant have a dynamic pose if the arms and legs arent contra whatterey?

Not necessarily. For example there is the classic coming right at ya both arms back or both arms forward type of posses, BUT when you do the limbs contra laterally (Jim Lee's words). You get a more powerful less off balanced looking pose. Try to stand like the XM Hulk is and have a budy push you from behind. I am kidding you will most likely end up flat on your face. Also, you get a lot more energy if you take some of the major lines of the body(shoulder to shoulder, eye to eye, knee to knee, foor to foot, waist), and ensure that they are not parallel to each other, but instead are turned in opposing directions.

I will see if I can find some examples of that last one.

Edit: so I didn't want use anyone else's work to show my point but here is a piece I drew about 7 years or so ago.
142804f248e7782dcc4d793510fe3314_zps35632bc9.jpg

Besides flunking basic anatomy, I totally messed up the dynamics on Spidey.... I did EVERYTHING wrong. Most of the major lines are parallel, and the right arm and right led are BOTH forward.

A one from about 2 years ago
4931e7b11c98dbf12c362d39bbe024a1_zps3dfc46d1.jpg

See how most of the major lines intersect now, and though I violated the limb rule with Spidey I was able to get a little more action be trying to twist the torso.

Finally this piece is from about a year ago

757e1b64859c8a60986a99233942dd0e_zpsee8d1584.jpg

I tried to out everything I know into this piece and i am still not there yet, but the dynamics are a lot better IMHO.

Oh, and yeah you can also get a dynamic piece by using the environment and such. this is a follow up to the first piece I have above. Though I broke the limb rule a lot of the action will come from the shattered environment.... At least that is the dream...lol

93762ff491f5088d7109ae94f1a9286a_zps0c6d8d4f.jpg

Last edited:

It's not that you can't, it's just much easier to convey a dynamic pose with the lower body is in opposition to the upper body. It creates a tension in the muscles at the waist as they are twisting and giving an impression of movement which of course creates a dynamic pose.

One things for sure I learned a new word today..."contra laterally"

Spidey are you sure you're not a professional art critic?

One things for sure I learned a new word today..."contra laterally"

Spidey are you sure you're not a professional art critic?

I learned it from Jim Lee...lol.... And no I am a teacher...lol, but I have studied a lot of different figure art. It is the only way I was able to improve... That and a lot of help from a bunch of guys who mentored me for awhile, and who I still go to for advice...lol

I learned it from Jim Lee...lol.... And no I am a teacher...lol, but I have studied a lot of different figure art. It is the only way I was able to improve... That and a lot of help from a bunch of guys who mentored me for awhile, and who I still go to for advice...lol

I used to do a Livestream/tinychat once a month and I'd draw live and people would do their art as well and we'd all kick around ideas, maybe I should do that again Spidey, get you some work in.

I used to do a Livestream/tinychat once a month and I'd draw live and people would do their art as well and we'd all kick around ideas, maybe I should do that again Spidey, get you some work in.

Lol... Yeah it would be fun. Unfortunately, I am heading back to work, and will probably being going slightly mental in the first term.... Lots of new regulations I have to learn this year...lol.

Lol... Yeah it would be fun. Unfortunately, I am heading back to work, and will probably being going slightly mental in the first term.... Lots of new regulations I have to learn this year...lol.

I'll let you know well in advance. I'll talk to a few other people too, I know a few others that would be interested. And don't worry, I'll make it in a month or so, that way you're back into the swing of things so to speak

I'll let you know well in advance. I'll talk to a few other people too, I know a few others that would be interested. And don't worry, I'll make it in a month or so, that way you're back into the swing of things so to speak

All right m8 we chat about later...lol.

not ugly enough to be an ugly hulk or pretty enough to be a pretty hulk.....what to do, what to do?

just went to their studios and there are some updates on Hulk

THey have changed the color on hulk following some feedback from the sgtcc attendees

i think the new paint scheme is better, l can see more details

Went over to the studio and had a sneak peek at the latest Hulk head sculpt. Whaddaya guys think? Top row old head, bottom row new head.

13851_10151667883421483_789471097_n.jpg

Back