Worst casting decisions.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also I?ll add Cate Capshaw as Willie I?m TOD.
Shes 90% of the reason I cannot watch that film. Her constant screeching and whining is grating and totally ruins the film.

Maybe for you, but this was a good casting choice for Spielberg . . .

It is amazing how a performance (or personality) can completely change the feel of a movie. Perhaps the greatest example of that was Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly. So bad he was (if you've ever seen the footage), the studio agreed to replace him with Fox... whose instant likeability and charm turned a cute little Disney type movie (that was a bit of an insult in 1985 for 'family friendly') into an instant classic and major boxoffice.

Has this ever happened in the reverse? Has someone perfect been cast in a movie, then got replaced with someone who was so obviously inferior? And I don't mean a sequel -- like recasting.

Last edited:
It is amazing how a performance (or personality) can completely change the feel of a movie. Perhaps the greatest example of that was Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly. So bad, the studio agreed to replace him with Fox... whose instant likeability and charm turned a cute little Disney type movie (that was an insult in 1985) into an instant classic and major boxoffice.

That's heavy.

Has this ever happened in the reverse?

It's impossible to answer this question.

Not really, sometimes you hear of an actor you may feel is perfect and they drop out and someone not right is chosen. For instance, if you believed Tom Selleck was the perfect Indiana Jones and hate Ford, that would be an example.

In that case most would say it was for the better, like Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman instead of Annette Benning. But there must have been people up for the role who would be perfect that didn't work out. I just can't think of any right now. Maybe Williams as Riddler over Carrey?

I still want to see all of the Eric Stoltz scenes. They filmed a lot of him.

It’s weird how different his wardrobe is as Marty compared to Fox. He almost looks like a villain, especially against Biff.

BD1A632E-EF89-4769-B94E-4B456CC6E600.jpeg

He definitely would have banged his mom.

Not really, sometimes you hear of an actor you may feel is perfect and they drop out and someone no right is chosen. For instance, if you believed Tom Selleck was the perfect Indiana Jones and hate Ford, that would be an example.

A better example involves another Harrison Ford role, ironically. The Solo film was a failure and we can blame it on the casting choice and say that the film might have been a success had Lucas film chosen the internet guy that looks like Ford. However, it's impossible to determine if that would have made a difference, because determining the success of a failed film using a hypothetical casting choice is just that, hypothetical, and an assumption, as opposed to a fact, which is what makes the BTTF situation so unique, because that film was an actual success with a different actor. Then again, we'll never actually know for a fact if the film starring Eric Stoltz would have been less successful.

Then again, we'll never actually know for a fact if the film starring Eric Stoltz would have been less successful.

Educated guesses still work. Have you seen the footage?

Is the better example for Ford his role as Han Solo? I think its hard to find a better example of a superior casting choice over the original preferred actor than Ford/Selleck. I mean, just watch High Road to China if you want to see how Selleck would have been as Indy.

Would Nick Cage as Superman count...?

It’s weird how different his wardrobe is as Marty compared to Fox. He almost looks like a villain, especially against Biff.

Yeah its just amazing what a different tone Stoltz gave the movie.

Last edited:
Educated guesses still work. Have you seen that footage?.

Only a few seconds. It looked darker, literally. I'm glad they changed the costume too. Also, Fox's nervousness and style of acting matched George McFly. I don't buy that Stoltz as George's son. With Fox, I can see he's a McFly beneath the "cool" exterior.

To be fair, I do think that, no matter the performance Stolz gave, they were going to fire him regardless once Fox was available since Fox was always the first choice.

If I were Stoltz, I’d be pissed too. Especially if you filmed most of the film (he finished all the 1950s stuff and most of the 80s) and you were being directed to do it seriously and not as a comedy. That whole situation would hurt.

It’s one of those film things that has always fascinated me. I’m really hoping in the next 5-10 years all that footage is unearthed.

I doubt Stoltz was being told to be serious unless its because he was trying to be funny and that's how it was coming across. Zemeckis gets pretty good performances so I do not believe Stoltz was mislead. He just wasn't right. And clearly everyone felt it. Its a big decision to reshoot a majority of a movie.

Educated guesses still work. Have you seen the footage?

Is the better example for Ford his role as Han Solo? I think its hard to find a better example of a superior casting choice over the original preferred actor than Ford/Selleck. I mean, just watch High Road to China if you want to see how Selleck would have been as Indy.

Your original question was, "Has this ever happened in reverse?" I assumed you meant a film that unlike BTTF, was a failure because or in part because of the casting choice, hence the Solo film example.

To be fair, I do think that, no matter the performance Stolz gave, they were going to fire him regardless once Fox was available since Fox was always the first choice.

If I were Stoltz, I’d be pissed too. Especially if you filmed most of the film (he finished all the 1950s stuff and most of the 80s) and you were being directed to do it seriously and not as a comedy. That whole situation would hurt.

It’s one of those film things that has always fascinated me. I’m really hoping in the next 5-10 years all that footage is unearthed.

The Stoltz Cut by Zack Snyder

Lorraine gets raped by Beef, Doc dies, and Marty wonders if he should even go back to 1985 because people don't like him. :lol

Your original question was, "Has this ever happened in reverse?" I assumed you meant a film that unlike BTTF, was a failure because or in part because of the casting choice, hence the Solo film example.

Oh, OK. No I didn't mean it had to be a failure but just a bad casting choice. TPM, AOTC and ROTS weren't failures despite many bad casting choices (Lloyd, Hayden, Portman, SLJ).

View attachment 507103

He definitely would have banged his mom.

He was trying really hard to in Some Kind of Wonderful. That movie has an interesting story behind it too. If it wasn't for SKoW, we wouldn't have Zoey Deutch. That's the film where Lea Thompson met and fell in love with the director Howard Deutch.

Oh, OK. No I didn't mean it had to be a failure but just a bad casting choice. TPM, AOTC and ROTS weren't failures despite many bad casting choices (Lloyd, Hayden, Portman, SLJ).

I think Hayden Christensen gets a bad rap for AOTC and ROTS. His acting was a little wooden, yes, but everything else he takes grief about, the whining, the childlike tantrums, and generally being a ***** is how he was told and DIRECTED to play the part. He merely gave them what they asked for. Portman was definitely phoning it in in her scenes with him. You can see the lack of chemistry in her performance. Hell, it was said that Bruce Willis and Cybil Sheppard couldn't stand each other as he got more famous, but you'd never know it by their performances. Am I an HC fan? No. Is he the next Gary Oldman? Definitely not. He delivered what they asked for. Even George Lucas has said that.

I think Hayden Christensen gets a bad rap for AOTC and ROTS. His acting was a little wooden, yes, but everything else he takes grief about, the whining, the childlike tantrums, and generally being a ***** is how he was told and DIRECTED to play the part. He merely gave them what they asked for. Portman was definitely phoning it in in her scenes with him. You can see the lack of chemistry in her performance. Hell, it was said that Bruce Willis and Cybil Sheppard couldn't stand each other as he got more famous, but you'd never know it by their performances. Am I an HC fan? No. Is he the next Gary Oldman? Definitely not. He delivered what they asked for. Even George Lucas has said that.

Anakin was no whinier than Luke. And for those who think he should have been older/darker, remember old Obi-Wan referred to him as "a young Jedi who was a pupil of mine". He was always meant to be the younger apprentice.

I defend the Snyder interpretations of Supes and Bats (and reckon Affleck is the best big-screen Batman so far), but when it comes to Spider-Man I demand he at least physically resemble the comic version. Hence I rate Garfield highest and don't think much of Maguire or Holland.

Lol!!!

Personally, I will always hold Sophia Coppola in The Godfather 3 as the worst casting ever. She is at least 30% of why that film was not what it could have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we are digging up the numerous crimes of The Godfather III I have to add Andy Garcia to the list. Not as bad as Sofia, but close.
Sonny is one of the all time great characters in cinema, we?re introduced to his son and heir apparent, and its Andy Garcia? Not good enough.

Back