Media Wing Commander Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol and I only ever played the 3rd, well... played the 1st briefly on an emmulator :lol

One of the only games I ever played with real actors. I fell in love with Angel... taking out the Killrathi was sweet in the end. Always wanted to play the 4th but never got around to it, wish I did.

Great stuff.
My 3 favorite game series of all time are Elite, Wing Commander and Gabriel Knight

Elite: Dangerous - in Beta phase right now after a 20year wait ! Wooo ! ....bought a monster PC gaming rig just for this !
Star Citizen - Chris Robert's new space sim, the spirtual successor to Wing Commander and Freelancer, in development right now after a 20yr wait !
Gabriel Knight mysteries - the first game of the series being remade right now for release end of this year after a 20yr wait !

Good times.

lol and I only ever played the 3rd, well... played the 1st briefly on an emmulator :lol

One of the only games I ever played with real actors. I fell in love with Angel... taking out the Killrathi was sweet in the end. Always wanted to play the 4th but never got around to it, wish I did.

Well I plan to try and do the whole series but at least through 3.
I played my fair share of FMV games back in the 90s. Phantasmagoria, Night Trap, Rebel Assault II... I also bought the Gabriel Knights, Tex Murphys and such on GOG. I may do Let's play on them sometime down the line but this is my first try at it.

Great stuff.
My 3 favorite game series of all time are Elite, Wing Commander and Gabriel Knight

Elite: Dangerous - in Beta phase right now after a 20year wait ! Wooo ! ....bought a monster PC gaming rig just for this !
Star Citizen - Chris Robert's new space sim, the spirtual successor to Wing Commander and Freelancer, in development right now after a 20yr wait !
Gabriel Knight mysteries - the first game of the series being remade right now for release end of this year after a 20yr wait !

Good times.

Thanks! Good times indeed! Star Citizen has promise but so far it's very much in the air as to what we'll get but I'm very excited for Elite Dangerous. I never played the Elite series before but I have so many fond memories of playing Starlancer.
Basically I started Wing Commander because even though I love the genre, I've only played Rebel Assault II and Starlancer. So I bought a Sidewinder FFB2 and decided to plug my cultural holes.
I plan to play Wing Commander 1 2 3 and Privateer at least, X-Wing, TIE Fighter and XvT, Starlancer again, Freespace 1 2 and possibly Freelancer.

I played Gabriel Knight 3 back then (and LOVED it. one of my fondest gaming memory) but I never played the first 2. I have them on GOG and I also have Sins of the Father on DVD. Did you play Gray Matter? It's a recent point and click from Jensen.

Star Citizen has promise but so far it's very much in the air as to what we'll get [...]

I'm a high level and very early backer for Star Citizen. We're in alpha but do have running versions of various tiers of hangars, a number of ships, and a flight/combat sim already. Chris Roberts has a clearly defined vision, with a solid team and enough money ($48 million+ from us at the moment) to make it happen.

After everything I've seen over the past year, I can say confidently that what we'll be getting is possibly the greatest hardcore space sim of all time. ;)

I'm a high level and very early backer for Star Citizen. We're in alpha but do have running versions of various tiers of hangars, a number of ships, and a flight/combat sim already. Chris Roberts has a clearly defined vision, with a solid team and enough money ($48 million+ from us at the moment) to make it happen.

After everything I've seen over the past year, I can say confidently that what we'll be getting is possibly the greatest hardcore space sim of all time. ;)

Possibly yeah but look what they've accomplished on Elite Dangerous with "only" $2 millions. Granted their scope is maybe not as big as what Roberts has planned but I'm afraid that too much money may make them lose their focus. So far personally I much prefer the (space/ship) design aesthetic of ED.
But we've seen so little of both it's impossible to judge yet.

First I've heard of a new Chris Roberts game... this pleases me

Really? you haven't heard of Star Citizen? Every gaming website has been covering it on and off for the better part of the past year.

I played Gabriel Knight 3 back then (and LOVED it. one of my fondest gaming memory) but I never played the first 2. I have them on GOG and I also have Sins of the Father on DVD. Did you play Gray Matter? It's a recent point and click from Jensen.

I did not play Grey Matter, just never got around to it. Still vaguely on my to do list, as is Moebius.

Chris Robert's will definitely make it happen. There is zero chance he will fail.
The bigger problem will be time and expectations.
He will be at least 12 months behind initial estimated schedule, most likely 2 years and there is going to be enormous backlash when it finally does come out and people realise its just a great video game and not the 2nd coming of Jesus in video game form .... :)

Possibly yeah but look what they've accomplished on Elite Dangerous with "only" $2 millions. Granted their scope is maybe not as big as what Roberts has planned but I'm afraid that too much money may make them lose their focus. So far personally I much prefer the (space/ship) design aesthetic of ED.

You can't really make a direct comparison though.
Chris Robert was literally starting Star Citizen from scratch with a company that didn't exist yet.

David Braben had a successfully already existing game company, a full roster of employees, with an in house game engine (Cobra) built and refined over a 10yr period, always with the goal in the back of his mind to use it for Elite 4.
He used Kickstarter to prove initial interest in the game, rather than fully fund the game. He has since gone out and secured massive investment in the company from private investors.
(and while Star Citizen's Kickstarter videos were 'resepresentative' i.e. fake, Elite's were real, because the basics of the game were already there)

We've actually seen more of SC than you might expect. But oh yes, most definitely it is not just about the amount funded. Some of us did have reservations regarding money versus vision, but they've always kept themselves grounded and focused on the initial goals while expanding upon them instead of deviating. From what we've seen out of CR, the dev team, the development process and progress, the community, and everything in-between, it's all there and solid.

I'm familiar with Elite Dangerous and also appreciate the work Frontier has done, but as you've mentioned, the scope is different (eg. smaller explorable universe, smaller available ships, etc), as is is the amount of progress both have made so far.

Besides, while Star Citizen will be a persistent universe, the game will ship with Squadron 42 as its single player campaign which is billed as Wing Commander's spiritual successor. ;) You gotta love that.

Some screenies from my hangar (there are a few different ones available, based on the size of your ships - this is the largest):

StarCitizen2014-07-1918-43-32-62_zps8296f553.jpg

StarCitizen2014-07-1918-47-13-51_zpsccca84c2.jpg

StarCitizen2013-09-0212-36-43-78_zps3c55e71a.jpg

StarCitizen2013-09-0212-40-01-70_zps6b377cd5.jpg

StarCitizen2013-09-0212-32-57-44_zps6f7bfc24.jpg

StarCitizen2014-07-1918-45-29-81_zps252da7dc.jpg

StarCitizen2013-09-0211-55-27-85_zpsf38051cc.jpg

First I've heard of a new Chris Roberts game... this pleases me

Yup! Come join the fun! https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

Some videos to entice you (all in-game assets):

Original cinematic trailer:

Teaser for the current playable build, Arena Commander:

One of the epic faux commercials they've done for in-game ships:

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Keep up the good work on the vids!

Back